Thread: Has enyone gotten 6.2.1 past the boot screen?

Has enyone gotten 6.2.1 past the boot screen?

I have tried to get the live cd to boot to 4 different PC/Laptops and the furthest I got was the boot screen loading the snd drivers. But it stops at different places for each PC.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesterton View Post
    I have tried to get the live cd to boot to 4 different PC/Laptops and the furthest I got was the boot screen loading the snd drivers. But it stops at different places for each PC.
    Yes, Knoppix 6.2.1 is a working version! This is almost certainly caused by a bad disk - burning software seems to malfunction regularly, based on widespread reports of difficulty. It can also be caused by a bad download - did you check the md5 sum to see if there was a good ISO file to burn? Also, since you're getting it to boot, you can try one of these at the boot prompt (big penguin onscreen):
    Code:
    knoppix testcd
    or
    knoppix testdvd
    There are a number of recommendations on how to correct this, including using slower burn speed, and (assuming you use Windows to do the burning) killing the Explorer process before you burn as described here. You must have a good ISO, and the burning has to produce a disk that will pass the self-test; the results you've had leave little room for doubt that at least one of those conditions has not been met.

Hope that helps!
    Krishna

Senior Member registered user
    I think it has something to do with knoppix not cleaning the configuration files properly on exit. On my instalation whenever I boot on another PC, I have to manually clean fstab after boot and then issue the rebuildfstab command to regenerate proper fstab config for the drives in the new PC. May be this happens with some other configuration files too. I had no problems with xorg.conf so far or anything else, but it is a possibility

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    I think it has something to do with knoppix not cleaning the configuration files properly on exit. On my instalation whenever I boot on another PC, I have to manually clean fstab after boot and then issue the rebuildfstab command to regenerate proper fstab config for the drives in the new PC. May be this happens with some other configuration files too. I had no problems with xorg.conf so far or anything else, but it is a possibility
    I have to disagree. My reading of this report is that this is a new user, trying to get a CD to boot. Also, any file corruption would be from a badly burned CD, or bad download, absent a persistent store, which I don't believe has been created yet in this case.

Cheers!
    Krishna

Senior Member registered user
    Yes, you are right. I did not pay attention to the fact that it is Live CD not USB with persistent image.

OK, thanks. I'll try a new burn. I did md5 it and got a matching number. I used InfraRecorder to burn the image. I'll slow down the burn or try to burn using a different PC.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the help. As stated, it checked out with md5, so the dl was good. I ran the burn at 1.7x and got a good copy.