Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video driver falls back to VESA

Senior Member registered user

Video driver falls back to VESA

Since yesterday when I boot knoppix 6.2 X starts with intel driver, show half black screen and half my desktop horizontally divided, then X restarts using vesa driver. No change has been done to the system.I only used the usb stick on another laptop and since then this occurs.
    Does anyone have any idea what could have made this happen. I have booted successfully on other machines a few times before without any problems afterwards

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mecho View Post
    Since yesterday when I boot knoppix 6.2 X starts with intel driver, show half black screen and half my desktop horizontally divided, then X restarts using vesa driver. No change has been done to the system.I only used the usb stick on another laptop and since then this occurs.
    Does anyone have any idea what could have made this happen. I have booted successfully on other machines a few times before without any problems afterwards
    That sounds like a video-detection issue. I've noticed that, with a persistent store, Knoppix will remember something of the setup from previous boots. I think the solution would be to use a boot code to force the driver back to what worked before, i.e. intel-whatever. Alternatively, you might use
    Code:
    knoppix xmodule=svga screen=1024x768
    This should work on most systems, I think - and then perhaps it will auto-correct itself on reboot. FWIW...

Ciao!
    Krishna

SOLVED - Thanks to Krishna

Thank you Krishna - that worked. I booted using knoppix xmodule=intel and the second boot was just fine with no codes. Thanks a lot, I am relieved . I did not back up lately and were going to loose a lot of changes if it wasn't for your help
    It would be interesting to know, what exactly does knoppix remember, so it might be cleaned manually

Just to clarify the issue. Knoppix writes the last used video driver in /etc/sysconfig/xserver.
    Any subsequent boot of Knoppix will be with the last successfully used video driver, unless a boot command xmodule= is specified or /etc/sysconfig/xserver is cleaned or deleted

@mecho

Can you compare xorg.conf before & after the changes you observe?
    Maybe changes are accumulated there. Just a thought.

If you manually set "device" section in xorg with say "intel" driver, /etc/sysconfig/xserver has XMODULE="fbdev" and you restart Knoppix will boot with fbdev driver. 6.2.1 has an option to preserve xorg.conf if you manually clear the first 2 lines, but I don't really like that option. I prefer to edit mkxorgconfig then preserving xorg.conf

Is there a cheatcode that says probe for video, rather than use last configuration?

To make it more understandable. This is what happens. I used my Knoppix flash on another laptop with Radeon video. Knoppix did not manage to load the Radeon driver properly, so it loaded Vesa. Then when I went back to my laptop, Knoppix booted with Vesa driver - it didn't even make an effort to load the Intel driver even though it works flawlessly. It is because there was already an entry in /etc/sysconfig/xserver saying XMODULE="vesa" and vesa works well on any hardware, so it just started using Vesa on every boot, untill Krishna told me to use cheat code to force the Intel driver. Once you boot successfully with some driver it just sticks there untill you change it.

And yes, the code is to simply force your known working driver using xmodule= one time, after that every boot is good
    Last edited by mecho; 08-06-2010 at 12:09 AM.

What I'm suggesting is a cheatcode, which may not now exist,
    which allows you to retain most of your .img, but selectively
    retest some of the hardware, not all of it.

If you always go from machine to machine you need something
    like this. Krishna's work-around is ok if you know what video
    to fall back on. If you didn't, you'd have to test somehow.

Promiscuity has its pitfalls.

There are many workarounds to this,but none of them is necessarily better then the original solution. There can be a script which will clean this file at every shutdown, or this file can be made to exist only on tmpfs in RAM, but then your PC will scan everytime the video and its not a guarantee that it will load the desired driver even if it works. I think the way it is - is very good, but we all just have to know about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast