Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: knoppix having audio tracks on itself

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4

    knoppix having audio tracks on itself

    i'm interested if it is possible to make knoppix cd (or any other bootable cd) which will have audio tracks together with bootable data part.

    so from user perspective it should look like this:

    * putting cd in cd player it plays audio tracks
    * putting cd in cd rom drive it boots into gnu/linux
    * putting cd while you are in running OS you can play audio tracks or browse data part from the rest of the cd

    that way EGOBOO.bits gnu gpl based label could publish regular audio cds with optional full free environment for free music as in free speech

    check it out on: http://www.egoboobits.net

    have fun

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    19
    hey, well, IMHO, this would be a waste of space. Altho, for some reason I did put the Knoppix cd to my MP3-CD player, but no tracks were found.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kriko
    hey, well, IMHO, this would be a waste of space.
    EGOBOO.bits regulary publish free as in free speech music and people like to listen to it in their cd player, diskmans or djs like to play EGOBOO.bits tunes on their dj sets...

    AND we would like to provide free as in free speech environment for those tracks.... that possibility is something which sounds very catchy and we are pretty sure that it would have maximum WOW effect, which is quite good to have when u publish music

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    how much of cd are you prepared to waste for this?

    100Mb .. less .. more?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghandalfar
    how much of cd are you prepared to waste for this?

    100Mb .. less .. more?
    together with 60 minutes of music one can have 122 MB of data on regular 650 MB CDs... 700 MB CDs can have 187.13 MB big Morphix LightGUI ISO (based on KNOPPIX) wich includes icewm, phoenix, mplayer, abiword, gnumeric, balsa... and on that one u can have just 58 minutes of music

    60 minutes is long enough for cd of free music

    hope that could be done...

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Posts
    19
    still I do think it's pointless, rather have mp3 files on cd-

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kriko
    still I do think it's pointless, rather have mp3 files on cd-
    i hoped you know if that kind of hybrid boot cd is possible to do, and that the only thing which keeps me from that information is your opinion that what i'm asking is pointless..

    and then i went to your site, noticed that you are 16 yrs old boy, prefer fancy windows xp graphics, listen to metallica's mp3s even they don't like their fans to do that and probably boring to death when the only thing which you like to say repeatedly on some forums around is that something is pointless.

    and yes... we will have mp3 files on bootable cds.. that stuff we will do in cooperation with jaromil who is founder of one more great live cd distro called dyne:bolic.. you can find it on: http://dynebolic.org/ ...

    if u are still bored: dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and teachers, being a practical tool for multimedia production: you can manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record, edit, encode, stream and many other things...

    now i feel to cruel talking to you from the distance of 15 yrs more than you, but please don't have the only comment that something you found pointless more than once... maybe you don't understand it.. maybe... or you are just bored... oh geez... me in bad mood again

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by marcell
    Quote Originally Posted by kriko
    still I do think it's pointless, rather have mp3 files on cd-
    i hoped you know if that kind of hybrid boot cd is possible to do, and that the only thing which keeps me from that information is your opinion that what i'm asking is pointless..

    and then i went to your site, noticed that you are 16 yrs old boy, prefer fancy windows xp graphics, listen to metallica's mp3s even they don't like their fans to do that and probably boring to death when the only thing which you like to say repeatedly on some forums around is that something is pointless.

    and yes... we will have mp3 files on bootable cds.. that stuff we will do in cooperation with jaromil who is founder of one more great live cd distro called dyne:bolic.. you can find it on: http://dynebolic.org/ ...

    if u are still bored: dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and teachers, being a practical tool for multimedia production: you can manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record, edit, encode, stream and many other things...

    now i feel to cruel talking to you from the distance of 15 yrs more than you, but please don't have the only comment that something you found pointless more than once... maybe you don't understand it.. maybe... or you are just bored... oh geez... me in bad mood again
    Hehe..

    Well anyway, to answer your question, I think it should be possable .You'd just make the first track the data part, and the rest of the tracks music. I have made cds that have data and audio tracks before, and don't see why a bootable track wouldn't work.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1

    Re: knoppix having audio tracks on itself

    Basically you have the choice of making a mixed-mode CD or a CD-Extra:

    A mixed-mode CD contains the data part as the first _track_ of a single session CD and the audio as tracks 2 ....n. The problem is that if you put this CD in an conventional cd player it may play the first track as an audio track. If you're lucky your equipment survives, if you're unlucky you blow up your speakers or amp, or both.

    A CD-Extra contains the data portion as the first track on the second _session_ of a cd. That's fine, 'cause conventional cd players can't access any session > 1. cdda2wav or a similar plugin for xmms should be able to identify the cd-extra and access the audio part. But then you are again depended on the digital extraction quality of the pc cd-drive.

    But as far as I know a _bootable_ cd may only contain _one_ session so you are maybe out of luck. I would _not_ recommend distributing mixed-mode CDs as chances are high that people simply forget not to play the first track.

    Of course you could toy with cd-extra or 'hiding' the data part of your cd in one very big pre-gap (for mixed mode cd) but I really doubt it's worth the effort or indeed can be done so that you get an 100% idiot proof solution.

    So I do not want to question your intention, but maybe distributing 2 cds is the quicker and safer idea.

    Cheers ST

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    hi there,

    I would like to know if you got that working. It's exactly what I want to do, but I haven't found a way...

    so long,
    red

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. mouse pointer leaves ugly tracks on screen
    By LING in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 12:26 PM
  3. Real Audio for Knoppix?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:37 AM
  4. Audio in Knoppix
    By DeEjAyCaRrAs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
  5. ripping audio tracks with cdda2wav
    By george in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 06:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •