Thread: Forum policies, etc.

Hybrid View

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    Moderators should also be keeping an eye out for posters making non-informative noise posts (one isn't all that unusual, but when a new user's first dozen or so posts all read like "that's interesting" or "thanks for posting that" it should raise suspicion. Maybe too many posts complaining about anti-spam policies might even draw attention.
    That's definitely true.

But I am not asking the moderators to quickly promote a user just because he posted some innocent looking "noise-posts". In fact, such "noise-posts" should rather be treated as "spam" or intent-to-spam. We need not insult our moderators' intelligence, I think they are smart enough to pick up such "indications" from the posts. And these posters should be banned, or better, to have the account removed.

But I still have my views that I doubt anyone who posted such thing which includes words like "raid", "knoppix", "gentoo" and so on will subsequently turn into a spam. In the unfortunate event if if it turned out to be the case later, no matter how long you "quarantine" the account it will be the same.

I HATE spam.

I have a spam filter on my ISP's mail server and spam filters on my computers and I still have to sort through it sometimes.

I have never seen a forum without spam. The form where I last participated regularly had spam-itis. They recruited over a dozen volunteers to delete the spam that got through and they still couldn't keep up. The forum was getting miserable and everyone started arguing.

Do whatever you have to in the most cost efficient way. If I can help by waiting a bit for my first posts to show, I am honored to contribute so effortlessly to the effort.

I can't help but notice the paradox, this thread on spam has completely filled the new posts box, obfuscating new post much as spam might.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by evenso View Post
    Do whatever you have to in the most cost efficient way. If I can help by waiting a bit for my first posts to show, I am honored to contribute so effortlessly to the effort.
    That's because right now you don't have any burning issues. Neither do I at this moment. But you have to appreciate that when people have burning issues, they want their burning issues to be read and replied immediately.

I can't help but notice the paradox, this thread on spam has completely filled the new posts box, obfuscating new post much as spam might.
    Wow, how many posts are there in this forum in a day and you call these as "obfuscating new posts much as spam might. Then I seriously wonder if the forum designed to handle posts at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    That's because right now you don't have any burning issues. Neither do I at this moment. But you have to appreciate that when people have burning issues, they want their burning issues to be read and replied immediately.
    Well OK. Burning issues are always an issue.

9/10 of mine don't get resolved immediately though. 1/3 the time I bang my head against the wall, finally give up after days, then have an "oh yeah" moment. 1/3 the time I learn to live with it until it evolves out of the system (testing/unstable/experimental) or I stumble across something in reading or during an unrelated install/config.

Forum time is mostly slow reconstruction of the real issue or of my question.

However, always nice to think that cries in the dark will not go unanswered, although they often do. That is why I got on here and started posting now!

Wow, how many posts are there in this forum in a day and you call these as "obfuscating new posts much as spam might. Then I seriously wonder if the forum designed to handle posts at all.
    Haven't been counting but my impression is fewer posts than my 7 hens used to lay eggs in a day. So, on my 1024x768 screen, with text set for failing eye-sight, I get about 6 posts in the new posts box. That'd do it.

Note: There seems a high ratio of lurkers/logged-in users to actual posters here. That says to me that the average Knoppix user may be very self-sufficient and a good researcher.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by evenso View Post
    Well OK. Burning issues are always an issue.

9/10 of mine don't get resolved immediately though. 1/3 the time I bang my head against the wall, finally give up after days, then have an "oh yeah" moment. 1/3 the time I learn to live with it until it evolves out of the system (testing/unstable/experimental) or I stumble across something in reading or during an unrelated install/config.

Forum time is mostly slow reconstruction of the real issue or of my question.

However, always nice to think that cries in the dark will not go unanswered, although they often do. That is why I got on here and started posting now!
    I certainly appreciate it!
    Haven't been counting but my impression is fewer posts than my 7 hens used to lay eggs in a day. So, on my 1024x768 screen, with text set for failing eye-sight, I get about 6 posts in the new posts box. That'd do it.
    My observation is that it fluctuates a lot, depending on time of day and week. Just one good thread can have a bunch of posts in just a few hours - or we might not see much activity for a while.
    Note: There seems a high ratio of lurkers/logged-in users to actual posters here. That says to me that the average Knoppix user may be very self-sufficient and a good researcher.
    Agreed, and IMHO, that's as it should be!

Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 08-15-2010 at 11:03 PM.

@ Harry Kuhman, Thanks for that unfortunate information about the sad depths of spamming.

Re: "Bucky" Fuller, haven't heard his name mentioned since the previous millennium! Nice to think of him again.

--
    Kind Regards,
    Freeman