Thread: Boot automation

Boot automation

I have a Knoppix 6.2 live cd and pratically all i want to do is automate a wireless connection creation so that i can share a wired network connection on a pc without hard drive and without monitor. How can i do that?

Ok thank you guys for helping me so much i really didn't expected... I figured out how to set up a wireless connection on the command line with iwconfig and ifconfig, all i had to do was set
    iwconfig mode Ad-Hoc instead of "Managed" since i don't have to use an access point, then the wireless stick started blinking.

The problem is that the essid keeps changing by itself, even though i gave it a normal name, on the windows computer all i see is just some random characters and it changes over and over.

Then i have to know how to make a script to do this automatically at bootup.

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Since you're doing this on a headless, diskless PC, I recommend doing a flash-install to start with, perhaps on another system. You'll probably need a temporary monitor on the target, too, because you're going to have to finagle a bit to do what you want. Once you're done configuring it, the monitor can go away.

Regarding the wireless ESSID - are you sure it's an ad-hoc connection, not an AP? Do you have any influence over the configuration the other end? I'm hazy on details, but if you can get your MAC address on their "allowed" list, you might not have to use the ESSID. Hopefully one of the real pros will jump in with more details.

Cheers!
    Krishna