Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can not get poor mans install to boot

Ok, here are some results:

ls -al /dev/hd* produced results that scrolled past the screen. I typed ls -al /dev/hda* and had seen that hda3 was listed. I did type the mknod /dev/hda3 b 3 3, but did not realize until after the fact that was to be done if no results were seen for ls -al /dev/hd*.

mount /dev/hda3 /mnt-system produced 'no such device or address'

ls <enter> lists the file system and mnt-system is there. Since both hda3 and mnt-system are listed, I am not sure what the device or address is that can not be found.

I put the knoppix folder under /home in hda3. That seems to be the highest point I can go in that partition and that is where the puppy linux folder is located as well.

Senior Member registered user
    kernel (hd0,2)/knoppix/linux ramdisk_size=100000 initrd=minirt.gz lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet fromhd=/dev/hda3/knoppix bootfrom=/knoppix/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,2)/knoppix/minirt.gz
    If you put the KNOPPIX files in a subdirectory then you must use the cheatcode knoppix_dir to describe the location. In the following example I assume that the large KNOPPIX file resides in the directory /home/KNOPPIX on the third partition of the first hard disk drive.
    Code:
    kernel        (hd0,2)/knoppix/linux fromhd=/dev/sda3 knoppix_dir=home/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0
    initrd        (hd0,2)/knoppix/minirt.gz

I am now posting from the knoppix poor mans install! The kernel and initrd grub statements fixed some errors I had. My other error was in not having all the necessary files from the dvd in the hard drive. I also had to tweek the path in grub to be more direct as to where the knoppix files are located. I found from trial and error that knoppix did not work with /home in the path. Question: I am prompted if I want to make a personal file and at what size. Will that make a persistant home directory?

I should have posted my grub entry. And thanks for the help klaus2008 and kl522. This worked for me for those who wish to try this type of install:

title Knoppix 6.2 dvd ISO
    root (hd0,2)
    kernel (hd0,2)/knoppix/boot/isolinux/linux fromhd=/dev/sda3 knoppix_dir=knoppix/KNOPPIX ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet loglevel=0
    initrd (hd0,2)/knoppix/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    savedefault
    boot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12