Thread: network manager 0.8.1

Junior Member registered user

network manager 0.8.1

I really like the network-manager that comes with Knoppix 6.2.1. It's currently version 0.7.1. I noticed on the network manager page: http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/, that version 0.8.1 is out and it supports bluetooth DUN, something I've been struggling to get working, with only partial success.

I tried compiling version 0.8.1, but have been hitting a few snags. Just want to know has anyone on here gotten Network-manager 0.8.1 working? If there is an easier way than trying to compile from the source, pls let me know.

Thanks!

Senior Member registered user
    Just bring up Synaptic Package Manager, set the preferred distribution to testing or unstable, you will see that network manager 0.8.1 is listed there. Select it and upgrade.

Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try, selecting network-manager. Synaptic chose to install, upgrade and remove certain packages from my system, and it took about 15 minutes of downloading and installing. At the end, network-manager was still version 0.7, and other things stopped working (konqueror for example). A few dialog boxes popped up during the process that I did not pay close attention to, I suppose I should have.

Has anyone managed to get network-manager 0.8.1 installed through synaptic?

Thanks

One thing that I thought might be an issue, is that network manager is managing my network connection, and that I need to download data to perform the upgrade. I wonder if this might cause some problems, upgrading a software while it is being used?

That's me, I am currently using network-manager 0.8.1, but I never notice anything which allows me to configure bluetooth DUN.

In any case, because of package conflicts problem in knoppix, your upgrade to unstable/testing may not have succeeded. I have been through that once. Now almost all my packages are in 'unstable/testing'. I can't remember exactly what it took me to get pass the package conflict thingie. Perhaps someone else could help. Sorry unable to provide further assistance to this.

I started with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -t testing --reinstall install network-manager network-manager-gnome network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome resolvconf avahi-autoipd modemmanager mobile-broadband-provider-info gnome-bluetooth nautilus-sendto gnome-user-share libmagickcore3-extra libparted0-dev libparted0-i18n tclreadline cryptsetup comgt
    and got the following error message
    Preparing to replace ppp 2.4.4rel-10.1 (using .../archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement ppp ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/etc/chatscripts/gprs', which is also in package ppp-scripts-knoppix 0:0.6-2
    My solution was to replace the old script with the new one.
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-confnew,overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -a --configure
    There were no more errors. Therefore I restarted the Xserver by hitting the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Backspace in order to replace the running network manager applet

Not all of the packages are really needed but many of them were recommended. I cannot say whether /etc/chatscripts/gprs works since I do not use ppp.

I suggest that you test this with the live CD first.