Thread: where is the how to install?

where is the how to install?

I have downnloaded the live cd and the dvd and can get as far as the partitioner. Where do I go from there? I have several partitions on my hd and would like to install Knoppix 6.2 on sda6. I have a swap partition at sda2. I would like to put my /home folder on sda10. I have installed many distros on this same computer by gui. I have never installed from the command line. I am at a loss on how to install this distro. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Harold

Cough! Anyone there?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by houndhen View Post
    I have downnloaded the live cd and the dvd and can get as far as the partitioner. Where do I go from there? I have several partitions on my hd and would like to install Knoppix 6.2 on sda6. I have a swap partition at sda2. I would like to put my /home folder on sda10. I have installed many distros on this same computer by gui. I have never installed from the command line. I am at a loss on how to install this distro. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks, Harold
    Hey-

It sounds like you want to use Knoppix like a "regular" Linux distro, which is mostly discouraged here in this forum (unless you intend to re-master Knoppix.) Since Knoppix is explicitly intended for use as a "live CD" (including flash media), there are a number of things that are optimized differently than, for instance, Debian - the base distro for Knoppix.

The "install commands" are in the Preferences menu, on versions >6. The "normal" Linux hard drive install (deprecated, as I said) will do what you expect, I think, but the installed Linux system will probably not be optimal for you. It is possible, though, to use the flash install utility to make a "hard drive install" with what's called a "persistent image" that gives the effect of changing the copied core system (which in fact is unchanging.) This 2nd utility requires the first partition, which must be formatted FAT32, but is otherwise fairly comprehensive and reliable. Obviously, it works well with flash media, too. Let us know if you have other questions, and EnJoy!

Cheers!
    Krishna

Thanks, krishna for your answer and information. Looks like I would be better off not trying to install knoppix on my hd. I have Mepis, Mint, and PCLOS installed on my system. Mepis is the distro that I use everyday. The others I keep updated so that I can use them if I really mess up Mepis. I do like to look at other distros to see if I can learn more about Linux. Don't need a flash drive install that I know of right now.

Thanks again,
    Harold