Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Knoppix 6.4.3: Desktop / PCManFM settings persistence

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 6.4.3: Desktop / PCManFM settings persistence

    I've created a Knoppix 6.4.3 USB drive from the CD and set up persistent storage.

    When I change the desktop background, or adjust PCManFM settings (e.g. preventing partitions automatically mounting), they are lost when I log out of LXDE (which then starts a new LXDE session) or reboot Knoppix. The contents of ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf seem to get reset.

    I've tried deleting and recreating the persistent storage (knoppix-data.img) and deleting the ~/.config/pcmanfm directory so that it gets recreated.

    Anyone else see this, know what's going on, or know of a solution?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I am also struggling with these, but have no solutions to offer as yet.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for confirming it's not just me. Here's a workaround I've discovered:

    Configure PCManFM settings and the desktop as required.
    Copy the settings to "LXDE.conf" in the "pcmanfm" directory:
    $ cp ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE.conf
    Recursively remove knoppix's write permission from the pcmanfm directory structure:
    $ chmod -R u-w ~/.config/pcmanfm

    Obviously subsequent changes now won't persist.

    I boot into Knoppix from a USB drive to back up my OS system partition. If PCManFM auto-mounts all partitions, this could affect the integrity of my backups.

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    I've added 'umount -r /media/sda3' to my rc.local file.
    My main ntsf file then initially shows as unmounted unless OS icon is
    single-clicked on PCManFM. Pretty slim protection.

    Peculiarly, and fortunately, other ntsf files on
    sda1 and sda2 are not automatically mounted by default
    as is sda3 here.

    This is a bad choice of default in PCManFM and a critical
    error somewhere in the init structure of K6.4.3 IMHO.
    I'd like it to be difficult for knoppix, the user,
    to access my ntsf files.

    I note several other places where changed default choices do not
    survive re-boot in K6.4.3 that were no such nuisance in K6.2.1.
    These include the cube background jpg, firewall settings, and
    alsamixer settings.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    When I had a similar problem in 6.2.1, kl522 offered
    the following suggestion, which I now understand:

    Edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
    such that the @pcmanfm line reads @pcmanfm --desktop
    That is, delete the --profile LXDE.

    I think this will empower the PCManFM gui's to control
    desktop preferences as one would expect.

    Cheers, and belated thanks to kl522.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    [QUOTE=utu;122417

    Edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart
    such that the @pcmanfm line reads @pcmanfm --desktop
    That is, delete the --profile LXDE.
    .[/QUOTE]

    This worked like a charm for me

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    I opened the autostart file in LeafPad but when I try to save the edited file back into LXDE I get the message 'can't open file to write'. Anyone help me out?

  8. #8
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    ... you must be root to change this file. Start with 'Run' and type 'gksu leafpad'.

    Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    "Build personal Recovery-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix remaster)"

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30
    Thanks Werner

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    The problem which initially defined this thread
    has been corrected in Knoppix 6.4.4.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99