Thread: the remastered iso file is huge.

the remastered iso file is huge.

I follow the remastering howto wiki and after removing over 140 M of software and installing new ones (adobe flash, 8 M of Microsoft corefonts, ibus-unikey, rar, unrar), I have the final iso of 670 M. I installed all of them mannualy by coppying the .deb files to the chrooted environment and dpkg'ing them there. As for adobe flash and corefonts I copied the flash.so and fonts.ttf directly to their corresponding folders. Why the heck is it that big? I want to add more sofware but not to the expense of removing libreoffice. Does the iso made by Knoppix.net use a different mkisof from that which comes with the Knoppix CD itself? Many thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    There are a few things you could do to make it smaller.

Firstly, 'create_compressed_fs' supports a -L option which allows you to specify -1 or -2, that will make the compressed file system smaller at the expense of compression time.

Next you could delete **MOST** of the files in /usr/share/doc. That will save some significant amount of space. The 'virtualbox-ose' seems to keep the license in this directory, that's about the only folder which cannot be deleted.

If you yet want to save more space after these two, post again. You can consider using 'sstrip' to strip binaries and perhaps perform more tricks.

Thank you for your quick reply. I am considering installing blender 2.5 (dowloaded from blender.org, of course. There seems no deb repos availlable), which occupies some 95 M of disk space and requires certain extra library files. I would appreciate it if you could give me your complete mkiso command which helps reduce the iso size so that it would fit a CD. I want blender 2.5, rar, unrar,chmsee, ibus-unikey, mobipocketreader 4.9, adobe flash, microsoft corefonts. I have tried removing libreoffice-base, icedove, adriane*, libreoffice-l10n-de, virtualbox*, and other software, which return over 145 MB. Thank you in advance.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by tenmoi View Post
    I would appreciate it if you could give me your complete mkiso command which helps reduce the iso size so that it would fit a CD.
    It has nothing to do with mkiso. Read again my reply above.