Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 6.4.4 beta, de version is out

Senior Member registered user
    There is another latent defect in 6.4.4 I hadn't noticed before.

I note that I get a dead uk keyboard for both Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4.
    However, for 6.2.1 the uk keyboard is not dead.

There is not a lot of difference between the 6.2's and th 6.4's and
    you might TRY the 6.2 for the time being, if you need a uk keyboard.

I note that in the 6.4's /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig still has an entry for uk.
    So, I imagine there should be more to expect than a dead keyboard.

I don't have a uk keyboard myself, I just know when it's dead & when it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    There is another latent defect in 6.4.4 I hadn't noticed before.

I note that I get a dead uk keyboard for both Knoppix 6.4.3 and 6.4.4.
    However, for 6.2.1 the uk keyboard is not dead.
    What do you mean by dead keyboard?

I run the 6.4.2 DVD version (from the Linux Magazine) and although I had a bit of trouble determining what bootcodes to use I got a UK keyboard eventually (despite an error message saying the gb map file does not exist). I cannot precisely remember the codes or error message as i am away from my Knoppix machine at the moment. Let me know if you want the info.

Note: I tested I had the correct keyboard by running OpenOffice Write and hitting shift-2. It gave me the double quote, rather than the @ I would get if I used a US keyboard. Other keys randomly checked as well.

Update

I've just remembered. When I used the keyboard=uk, xkeyboard=uk commands I think I did get a completely dead keyboard, (i.e. no key worked at all). I'll update this with what I actually use when I get back to my Knoppix machine.
    Last edited by ICPUG; 02-09-2011 at 06:59 PM.

You are on the right track.

Here's a post from another thread.

There is another workaround from a friend in Germany:

Quote:

Boot with

knoppix lang=uk xkeyboard=gb

which should give you back a working keyboard on X as well as on the
    text console.

I'm fixing this for 6.5 right now.

Regards
    -Klaus

Unquote

Yes - I read that other post afterwards!

Checking my Knoppix machine I had used:
    keyboard=gb xkeyboard=gb

Thinking Klaus's response might take away the error message I tried it instead. The error message remained! I didn't have time to check if lang=uk and xkeyboard=gb would give me a uk keyboard outside of X.

The keyboard problem does at least have a workaround. There are two other problems that I have not found answers to yet.

1) My synaptics touchpad will not tap to click. This is extremely frustrating. I think there might be a workaround but i haven't found it yet.

2) Otropogo reported some little while ago that the home cheat code doesn't work. I can confirm that. I don't know whether that was intentional or not but it is still mentioned in the cheat code list which was updated very recently. If you or your friends have access to Klaus can you mention this? If it is a bug it would be good to get it corrected at the same time as he corrects the uk keyboard problem. if it is not a bug then an update of the cheatcode list would avoid confusion.

The home cheatcode enables one to run a Live CD but keep the persistent image on hard disk or flash drive - so it can be useful in certain circumstances.
    Last edited by ICPUG; 02-10-2011 at 06:48 PM.

It would be a help to know if the home cheatcode worked for 6.2.1 and/or 6.4.3.

Similarly, did the synaptics touchpad work for an earlier knoppix version?

May also need some additional details on which synaptics touchpad.

Please confirm there is a problem with the following cheatcode. (anyone, and which knoppix?)

knoppix home=/dev/sda1/knoppix.img Mount loopback file for overlay

This is the Jan 28, 2011 list for 6.4, FYI.

@ICPUG

In regard to touchpad, are you aware of these posts?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...light=touchpad

In regard to touchpad, are you aware of these posts?
    You may also want to have a look at http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad. I think this issue is upstream of Debian and is deliberate. If Knoppix were to make touchpad tapping work by default many would be happy.

It would be a help to know if the home cheatcode worked for 6.2.1 and/or 6.4.3.

I looked for the home= cheatcode on the forums and found I'm not the first to complain that it doesn't work. I'm also not the only to have looked in /init and conclude it is not supported any more.

It seems the /init script was completely rewritten for Knoppix 6 and no attempt was made to implement the home cheat code or something equivalent - it is missing from my copy of 6.0.1.

Putting it back into /init would not be easy but it would be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    I looked for the home= cheatcode on the forums and found I'm not the first to complain that it doesn't work. I'm also not the only to have looked in /init and conclude it is not supported any more.
    I remember mentioning this some time ago. It did not catch the attention of anyone though.

Is it possible that the home cheatcode works as intended
    for cases NOT including USB installs with their own
    persistent store?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast