Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unofficial cheatcode for those who miss the old official home= cheatcode

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I think the differences are not worth the trouble to leave a well established compression method.
    I don't want to get into the war of the compression speed comparison, as I mentioned earlier, as some of the comparison what not a fair one, basically they did not use the same compression algorithm, it is not apple to apple.

However, I would like to dispute this point about cloop being the well eastablished compression method.

Which is more established compression method ?

Maybe my knowledge is skewed but here is what I know :-

1. Squashfs has long existed if not as long as cloop compression.
    2. Squashfs is accepted into stock kernel a few versions back but cloop is still an external patch.
    3. You can find squashfs in almost all embedded devices, including your typical home routers, home ADSL modems, home media players, home appliances such as TVs and so on. If you count the number of seats ( linux OS ) uses squashfs compared to cloop, squashfs is many many times more widespread than cloop..
    4. Just run this utility on the compression file system :-
    Code:
          $ file /mnt-system/KNOPPI/KNOPPIX
    KNOPPIX: POSIX shell script text executable

$ file /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.sq
    KNOPPIX.sq: Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0, 630912472831 bytes, 189043 inodes, blocksize: 147 bytes, created: Mon Jan  7 04:52:16 1991
    Now even a utility like 'file' knows about squashfs, which is more established ?
    Last edited by kl522; 03-05-2011 at 03:56 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    ... with
    ".. to leave a well established compression method"
    I did mean, that Klaus Knopper may have good reasons not leaving a well established compression method for his Knoppix distribution.

@ utu

I have no comparison of expansion times. And I only did my compression test because I couldn't believe the result of dinosoep.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... with I did mean, that Klaus Knopper may have good reasons not leaving a well established compression method for his Knoppix distribution.
    He should submit this cloop patches to the kernel team if he continues to want to use it for Knoppix. The knoppix kernel, there are still two modules which are compiled outside the standard distro, ie the aufs2 and cloop. I am seeing there is significant progress in integrating aufs2 into the standard distro, it will not be long aufs2 will be part of a standard kernel source.

cloop will soon be left as the only one needed as an external patch. I am not aware that there is any effort to put that into standard kernel source. I hope I am wrong in this.

forester,
    I have no clue how you got the patches working or what I am doing wrong on my end.
    I retried to apply all the patches a couple of times but got kernel panic or other problems.
    Now I just decided to apply generalise.txt on a new minirt.gz and make no other modifications.
    after booting up he tries to search for knoppix a couple of times in usb and hard drives but never finds them.
    then in red there pops up "could not mount disk to mnt-system. Starting debug shell..."
    and I can navigate around
    /KNOPPIX is empty
    /KNOPPIX-DATA non-existing
    /mnt-system empty

where did I made a mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    forester,
    I have no clue how you got the patches working or what I am doing wrong on my end.
    I retried to apply all the patches a couple of times but got kernel panic or other problems.
    Now I just decided to apply generalise.txt on a new minirt.gz and make no other modifications.
    after booting up he tries to search for knoppix a couple of times in usb and hard drives but never finds them.
    then in red there pops up "could not mount disk to mnt-system. Starting debug shell..."
    and I can navigate around
    /KNOPPIX is empty
    /KNOPPIX-DATA non-existing
    /mnt-system empty

where did I made a mistake?
    Oh dear dinosoep,

The red message means /init can't find your KNOPPIX image on any flash or hard drive partition. The patch generalise.txt has nothing to do with this part of /init.

However, I remember you have squashed KNOPPIX. Is that still the case ? Is your KNOPPIX file now named KNOPPIX.sq ?

You say you have started again with a new minirt.gz. If this is the one that came with Knoppix 6.4.4 then its /init script will be looking for an unsquashed KNOPPIX. That would explain the red message.

I suspect you need either to 'patch' /init with your own patch to boot squashed Knoppix or use the squashfs.txt patch I offered.

Get that working first. If that's OK save your minirt.gz somewhere safe before trying to put on any other patches.

If you are wondering, no you don't need to apply any patch more than once, even if it appears on more than one thread.

When you apply a patch you will get Hunk messages. They should say succeeded. If any say failed, stop right there. We'll have to figure out why the patch failed. It certainly isn't safe to go forward with only half a patch.

oops, I'm terribly sorry forester
    I thought generalise.txt had squashfs included too.
    trying it out right now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123