Thread: dpkg: warning: files list file for package missing, as assuming package has ....

dpkg: warning: files list file for package missing, as assuming package has ....

as soon as I apt-get install something a whole bunch of those errors pops up.
    Luckely those installs do succeed.
    I can fix the problems by doing a apt-get remove && apt-get install for every package but this is a very time consuming job as you can imagine...

Is there any magic command I can try?
    I did:
    apt-get autoremove
    apt-get clean
    apt-get autoclean
    aptitude reinstall '~i'

none fixed the problem
    Are those errors serious?
    and I did googled, but help on those forums was no real help to be honest
    I am running knoppix 6.4.3 (cd) on a usb. I think I screwed up somewhere while remastering but now I copied forester's script and did some changes, no trouble while remastering anymore

dinoseopje, what are you trying to do now ?

I am guessing you want to install some software ? I'm guessing the warnings you are getting is trying to tell you Knoppix's view of the repository is out of date. If your using 6.4.3. then it is about two months out of date. Hundreds of package has been modified. If you install this way you risk dependency problems that could render your Knoppix inoperable.

Did you start with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    ?

That will update your package list for you.

Warning:
    when I did this, the new package list database swallowed 200 Mb of my preciously small knoppix-data.img.

Viel glück and all that.

after an apt-get update the problem persisted
    I am guessing dpkg keeps a list of all installed packages and that I copied in a remaster the wrong /var folder to the new knoppix file so the file is completely out of sync with what I have installed.
    or I removed a bit to much with bleachbit

I have also tried
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade

Can I still repair my screwup?

Moderator Moderator
    There's always the "Delete the knoppix-data.* and start over" method, if nothing else works. There are many front-ends for apt/dpkg, which have differing capabilities. I have had some good results with aptitude from the command line. Don't forget to prefix your command with sudo! Or you can "sudo su" and become root.

Cheers!
    Krishna
    Last edited by krishna.murphy; 02-22-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo

Oh dear.

Kishna has a point.

You still have not told us what you were trying to do and what you did to get into this mess.

All you done is give is a list of things you already tried to get out of the mess, most of which may have just made things worse. Why you expect anyone to be able to help ?

Try:

Code:
    sudo rm -fr /KNOPPIX-DATA/var/lib/apt/lists/*
    sudo apt-get update

I don't really know how I got into the mess,could be a lot of things.
    the problem isn't in knoppix-data anymore because I needed to remaster to a squashfs file.

It happens when I do an apt-get install. I've continued to just apt-get install packagename --reinstall everything, that solves my problem but it's a lot of work.

update: I have reinstalled all 'problem packages' and now I do not see errors popping up while using apt-get install
    now just wait and see what happens next

Dear Dino,

I've not messed up apt this way so I can't advise on how to get out of the mess. All I can do is guess and probably guess wrong.

If you think your problem comes from the way your remastered then you really should revert back to before you did the remaster and move forward from there. You should back up /home somewhere just in case.

When you remaster, you should keep all modifications to /home, /var and probably /etc in knoppix-data.img and not remaster these directories but keep what was originally on the CD.

I appreciate that that might mean going back to square one and installing to USB again but going forwards by doing a lot of reinstalling packages takes you into unknown territory.

Put it bluntly, next time you have ask a question about bizarre behaviour on your system, folks are likely to reply something along the lines of "What do you expect" or "I told you so" or "I can't help" or "You're on your own" or "Good luck with that mate" or just a long line of unkind smilies.

Look on the bright side - you can start again with Knoppix 6.4.4 so not so many packages will be 'out of date' with respect to the Debian repository.

yeah, I think your true.
    I'm going to use another memorycard and slowly try to setup knoppix 6.4.4 the way I want it to be.
    That way I have a correct system again