Thread: SAMBA server - Knoppix 6.4.3 -> Where is it?

Member registered user

SAMBA server - Knoppix 6.4.3 -> Where is it?

There appears to be a LOT of confusion in the forum on SAMBA in Knoppix. And it appears to change from release to release. (Don't know if Microsoft has a heavy-hand on Knoppix packages or if Knoppix is puposely dropping the ball)

In any case, there is a conservative estimate that over 1 billion devices have ethernet (wire/wifi) ability and will reach over 2 before summer. Today, the estimate is that 750 Million of these run Microsoft or a version of SMB/CIFS lan software which allows sharing of files.

Knoppix appears to have some half-baked SMB/CIFS support but, it is unclear and missing in how its user community is to get any specific version of Knoppix to work on a LAN where other devices exist and where a user may want to share files from his Knoppix with the rest of his/her world (LAN). Dont know why this is but ... ITS HIGH TIME THAT WE USERS SEND OUR CARDS AND LETTERS TO KNOPPIX TO REQUEST CLARIFICATION WHY THIS PROBLEM CONSISTENTLY EXIST?

Maybe then they will get the message that we want a Knoppix that does everything a Windows PC or media device does.....that is we want the ability to "share" right out of the box. We just want a Knoppix where we can start/stop/restart this network service without having to go thru the trouble of looking and researching and trying to determine which one will work and uninstalling bad version and reinstalling and .... ; IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK OF A 10 YEAR OLD PRODUCT (Knoppix enjoys 10 years of very good service to this community) This just should NOT be happening.

Please, let them know, too!

Member registered user
    Bump. Is SAMBA server somewhere in a newer Knoppix?

be aware that knoppix is a one-man project so they should be replaced with him.

and judging this forum: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...r-in-knoppix-6
    It looks like you have to install and configure it yourself(no big deal)

Moderator Moderator
    ... don't install Knoppix as a productive system! Therefore you don't need samba server with Knoppix.

But if you want samba server with Knoppix, read the manuals, install and configure the server as you need and use it on your own risk. Remaster Knoppix or use Knoppix on USB with persistent memory.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

Hello,

Do you have a particular samba server scenario in mind ?

Perhaps you want your PXE / tftp server to also be a samba server ? Fair enough. Special circumstances, special solutions.

Perhaps you want each Knoppix thin client to be a distinct samba server that shares the (Knoppix) user's home directory and the C; drive of the host's Windoze installation ? (Sorry Harry, just speculating here, I'm not suggesting it's a good idea).

Different scenarios, different configurations.

Usually, servers offer services and desktops are clients of those services. One good reason for this is to ensure the 'high availability' of the services. A LiveCD or LiveUSB like Knoppix does not exactly strike me as entirely fulfilling most people's notion of 'high availability'.

Could you perhaps use shares on a pre-loved Windoze server and just use Knoppix as a samba client ? A client will always require less configuration than a server.

I have just tried the samba client (Knoppix 6.4.4 EN MAXI) and it works 'straight out the box'.

The samba server, however, isn't even installed. Even on the MAXI edition. It may well have been in the past but with each release software packages get bigger while the CD doesn't so something gets bumped off and someone always complains.

If you install the samba server, the installer will ask you for a domain name (at least) in order to generate a default configuration. You might want a separate Knoppix domain or you might want to be part of an existing domain. Different scenarios, different configurations.

If every Knoppix thin client you boot is to be a samba server, you'll need to get them each an individual name. That's not necessary the same as the machine's name, which is Mircoknoppix on all machines anyway. I expect you can do this at installation time. I can't remember. However, that wouldn't help in your thin client scenario. You'd have to personalise the configuration on each thin client.

You'll need to consider who is going to be the domain master too. The samba documentation recommends using a Linux rather than a Windows machine for this. I remember changing the configurations on laptops so they wouldn't bid to become domain masters for reasons of availability. I did the same for Windows 2000 and Windows ME installations for the same reason. You might not have a choice but that may mean you have to ensure your Knoppix samba servers never bid or else you may find yourself very unpopular with your orgranisation's IT support.

All this before you configure any shares. That too is part of the samba server configuration and it technically different for each server but perhaps would be the same for all your thin clients.

If you have the MAXI edition you can boot knoppix=kde and from KDE you can configure samba shares. I never did it that way. I guess I didn't know enough Windoze to understand the KDE GUI. I expect you can do the same from the gnome desktop. From the LXDE you might be able to use the KDE or gnome GUI applets but don't hold your breath: this isn't Windows or a media device.

You might consider nfs instead of cifs. You should prefer this if you are only interested in sharing files between your Knoppix thin clients. Windoze PC's don't do nfs but that's not Linux fault: it's the need for Micro$oft to make money. The nfs server is installed on the MAXI edition (I don't know about the CD edition). However, it would still need configuration.

As other respondents have pointed out, Knoppix is a Live distribution, not a server distribution. If you want to learn how to configure network file systems, then Knoppix is a good learning vehicle but your tone is petulant so I guess that is not the case.

The samba software suite is a complex piece of software with a large number of configuration options. This is because Microsoft's smb/cifs, which samba has to interoperate with, is a total shambles. I configured samba servers on my home network, where I have complete control, years ago. It took a long time and yes, I cursed the apparent lack of documentation aimed at folks like me. With hindsight I realise that at the time I knew so little about Linux etc. etc. that I just could not appreciate that I was actually trying to do something really quite advanced.

Unless you are a System Administrator (in which case you wouldn't be asking here) or someone at the teaching end of IT or CS education, you are probably attempting something you shouldn't but you are welcome to try (that's what "free" means in free software). You might get help on this or the samba forums but please drop the attitude that implies Knoppix, samba or us volunteers have let you down.

Member registered user
    This request is strictly about Full SAMBA where I activate, define my smb.conf, share my printer(s), and share any other local definitions I have requirements for to the LAN (same as I do with my Win95/Win98/NT/XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu/Fedora/Madriva/Suse).

As i remember it, past Knoppix distro use to have SAMBA server baked-in. But, I am unsure whether today's Knoppix still possess the SAMBA allowing sharing. Further, I was unsure of how to determine it is in the system or whether to use Knoppix's package manager to bring it into the fold.

Any help is appreciated, here is explaining. And please, no criticisms (emotional), I am just interested in being on the right tract to get the functionality that Knoppix might make available to us.

Thanks in advance.

You want the samba server then.

I suggest you use the synaptic package manager to see what's what (I don't use synaptic but there are plenty of folk on this forum that do).

Search in synaptic for packages with names containing samba. You should find at least:

ii samba 2:3.5.6~dfsg-3 SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
    ii samba-common 2:3.5.6~dfsg-3 common files used by both the Samba server and client
    ii samba-common-bin 2:3.5.6~dfsg-3 common files used by both the Samba server and client

I think the find the second two are already installed so the samba client will work out of the box. You'll need to install the first, the samba server. Once upon a time it might have been included by default but not any more.