http://portablelinuxapps.org/

It's like a better substitute for klik
    only tested one so far and it appears to be working

Senior Member registered user
    OK, so how do you know what's in 'em?

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    What a strange question. Admittedly the website cuts to the bone and is simply a list of apps but if you are really unsure you can feed the name into a search engine and get info from the non-portable version.

Perhaps I misunderstood your question.

If you go to the forum you will find the administrator and person behind portable linux apps is Probono, who you can see on this forum was the instigator of klik.

they're like the whole app in one file. You can see it as for example knoppix-data.img: it's a bunch of files packed together.

You just download the app, make it executable and then run it. If you don't like it, you just delete the file and you've got rid of it
    The beauty for this is that I can try to put my favourite linux apps in my dropbox folder and have them synced to every pc.
    You can put apps on a memorystick and run them where you do not have permission to install them.

I really like the concept and the lowered chance of screwing something up

Isn't this the way viruses work?

Utu, depends what virus you mean....
    first of all, there are no real virusses in linux because writing them would be a waste of time. There are way to little linux users out there so writing a platform specific virus would really be stupid.
    Second of all, it's as dangerous as installing a new package. If you don't trust it, then don't install it.
    If you do trust the package but don't trust the providers then pack it yourself... =D

And why exactly would a virus try to work that way? If I would write a virus I wouldn't distribute it at that site. I would alter some existing libaries and pack them with the newest version for by example abiword and then submit them to some repo's. Everyone installing the legit application would get my way to awesome virus packed with it.

So I don't understand your concerns

@dinosoep

The page you referred us to in post #1 has a lot of colorful icons
    attached to many names with which I'm not familiar.

There is no connected technical information whatsoever on that page,
    and no off-that-site reference except to forums.

My first question in post #2 was intended exactly as stated.
    What are we looking at? Where's a better starting point?

My second question in post #5 addresses your notion in your post #4
    that I should download, make executable and send it to all my pcs
    something I have no idea about. That is absurd.

Your philosophy in post #6 increases my concern. Security in Linux
    assumes great care will be taken in bringing things in from the
    outside by users with certain privileges.

#1&2 a list of apps, packed together in one file
    #5 You may find it absurd, another might find it handy. And I didn't say you needed to do that but just that I do.
    #6 Again it's just my opinion

I'm hoping to influence your opinion to
    include more caution, more deliberation.

That's a difficult question to answer. The files appears to be an executable application but presumably they have something resembling a bunch of files packed inside but dinosoep cannot simply assert that it is like knoppix-data.img. There are plenty of examples of a single file containing a bunch of others - a .msi installer for Windows for example. To understand what is inside would, I fear, require a knowledgeable examination of the source of the software used to create these files.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosoep View Post
    You may find it absurd, another might find it handy.
    utu's concern over viruses is commendable. dinosoep's attitude to viruses is deplorable. Any security, not just under Linux, assumes care is taken in bringing in things from the outside. In the end you take responsibility, which is better than it used to be under other operating systems where stuff was being download all the time without your knowledge and consent all in the name of 'convenience'.

Ignorance and carelessness, and the 'convenience' that these in combination offer, are the main reason for the spread of viruses.

so writing a platform specific virus would really be stupid.
    Yes, dinosoep, viruses etc. designed to attack Windows systems won't run in Linux systems and, yes, there are not that many viruses designed to attack Linux (yet) but many viruses are targeted at cross platform environments: flash is the worst but java and others are vulnerable too. At one time word documents with a malicious macro inside were popular. A one-click Firefox with a mailicous plug-in installed could be just as dangerous. At least I don't know otherwise and I'm not going to assume so just because it's 'handy'.

There are way to little linux users out there
    Anyone who believes that no one can be bothered to attack Linux systems is invited to read this article from only three days ago: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03...server_hacked/.

Second of all, it's as dangerous as installing a new package. If you don't trust it, then don't install it.
    Nonsense. You really don't know what goes on underneath Synaptic.

At issue here is that dinosoep will soon have made enough posts to earn the title "Senior Member", which "Junior Members" might take mean he writes with some authority. Even when he later qualifies what he writes with:

Again it's just my opinion
    IMHO ... The authors of viruses aren't pranksters these days and they aren't after your bank account details. They want, at some point in the future, to use your PC, in conjunction with many others, to mount cyber attacks on some worthy target. The attack might be traced back to you but no further. Although you should eventually be proven innocent and irresponsible you might want to consider the expense and inconvenience that might occasion.

AFAIK ... Under Unix and Linux, the distinction between users and the superuser is the basis of much of the system's security. As a user, you and malicious software, can only do limited damage. As root, you and malicious software can do anything. Knoppix, with its blanket sudo without password, is about as secure a Windows 98 was.

I really like the concept and the lowered chance of screwing something up
    Last time we touched on this, dinosoep had even turned off the notification that some background process had assumed root privileges. Some may think dinosoep is a bigger danger to his own system that any virus but he is still learning. Taking security seriously is just another lesson to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Forester; 03-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast