Ok here is the thing.. I am running Knoppix live DVD 6.4.4 with the boot uptions ( did not matter if I used 64 dit or 32 but anyways ) knoppix64 ( I even tried desktop=tried them all ( kde will not load I get a out of space error .. but that is not what I am writing about )) when I get booted into my system I tried to run preferance>software center ( becouse there is a couple programs I use that is not on the CDs/DVDs.. and well I get a list but no install button.. I then knowticed that there was something wrong with software sources... so closed out that window and ran preferance>Software Source.... then the new problem.. the first tab that is labled "Debian Software" there is 4 check mark boxes all seem empty. the last one is totaly greyed out.. when I try to check mark the first 3.. they will not check mark.. but on the second tab the check mark boxes are fine there. so I know it is not a theams thing ( I changed them to try anyways..) so it is a total guess if the items in the first tab are checked or not.. so I tried using SPM (synaptic) and well it opened up the same "software source" window with the same effect... it is the same no matter what xwin manager I use or theame... I though it my be a 3d thing so I booted with no3d cheat still same thing... i tried it on my main computer same thing.. it is something wrong with that ver of "software source" window. so with out knowing what is checked in the first tab.. I can try to check them and make software source download a new list.. all well good and all but it becomes a russain roulett wheel on what packages are listed/available I am supprized that no one ealse has had this problem ( it's been the same on may computers.. using the DVD and the cds ( I like the DVDs more becouse of more software at my finger tips w/out the "software source" window fail.)) I tried search after search and no help to be found that way so I desided to write here instead.... this BBS was where I found how to fix the no password on knoppix user.. another big problem I have with this ver of knoppix is now to use any media on a smb share I have to give a name and pass.. but none is assigned.. the guest and blank pass DID NOT work.. I have lots a music I use on a win xp share that is not login/password assigned. ( did nto have problems with it in the passed.. ( I did that for my xbox's that I turned into HTPc's.. 3rd bad is well 99% of the words I am typing know are showing up as misspelled.. so sorry all for the bad spelling and grammer ( been up for 2 days working on computers and I started tying this at 4:30am.. it is now 6am.. time for sleep now thank you in advance kc7wzl Derick