Thread: clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

Hey! I'm having problems running clusterKnoppix on a couple of my computers.

The first computer I tried my live cd on, it worked without a problem.. booted right up. Then when I tried to run it from my toshiba laptop, emachines computer, and hp computer.... they all experienced the same problem.

They all fail... and the error:

Code:
    Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset button to quit.
    I noticed that these 3 machines search for knoppix in every spot : hda1..hda2.and a couple outher variations.. but never in the one spot that my first machine looked, the machine that it worked on, /dev/scd0 i believe it was...

how do i get this working?

thank!

clusterKnoppix Live Cd boot failure

I'm trying to run clusterKnoppix live cd from a couple machines but it only works from one computer. The other three, my toshiba laptop, emachine, and hp machine can't find the filesystem.. the live cd stops booting and gives me a error saying it couldn't find knoppix filesystem and then gives me a couple commands to work with.. mount, umount.. and a couple more.

I noticed that the machine that worked, my gateway, looked in /dev/scd1 or 0 don't remember.. the other machines don't even look in this file.

How can i fix this?

Thanks!

Wow ! The clusterKnoppix project died in 2004.

When a (Knoppix) LiveCD boots the first thing that runs is the isolinux boot loader which loads and executes Linux. This runs some kind of start-up script (2004 is a long time ago in the Linux world) and that needs to mount the LiveCD and kick-off Knoppix for real. What appears to have happened on three of your machines is that Linux is running but it can't find the CD or it can't mount the CD or it can't find the Knoppix image on the CD.

Since it works on one machine out of four this all suggests your CD (have you one or four ?) is not a good burn. When told this most people take offence. I don't see why. I've plenty of experience of burinng a CD on one machine only to find the next machine can't read it. The advice that is usually handed out is to burn a new CD at a really low speed.

Sorry if that it not what you want to hear but I don't think you'll get any better advice.

Hi,

Are you machines very old ?

I seen a suggestion that:

Code:
    knoppix ide1=reset
    might help if Knoppix can't find the CD/DVD drive but I've no idea if that is available with your clusterKnoppix.

I've also seen it reported that:

Code:
    knoppix noapic
    does the trick on some older machines.