Thread: KDM

KDM

Knoppix 6.2.1 HD Install... Based on the fact that a search of all posts for "KDM" displayed no results. Can I assume that you cannot use KDM in Knoppix LXDE environment. If yes, how do you start the program?

Hi BoDiddley,

An interesting question.

KDM is the display manager for KDE, GDM is the display manager for the Gnome desktop, XDM is the Xorg display manager and LXDM is the display manager for LXDE so why would you want KDM with LXDE ?

Knoppix has no login. The display manager is the program that handles login on other Linux distributions. Knoppix does not run a display manager. That would not be Knoppix any more. Plenty of people who don't understand this ask how they can get Knoppix to force a login. Finally someone who asks the question the right way round.

So why to I think you might mean KDE (not KDM ?).

If you started with the CD edition then all you have is LXDE. There is no display manager. I have the DVD edition which has KDE and Gnome as well. With these I also have kdm and gdm. I'm running a KDE desktop right now but KDM is not used: no login. This is Knoppix.

You have installed to HD. I've never seen a hard drive install. I'm told that it is basically Debian. You can install KDM if you want. To use it you'd have to get in a undo the Knoppix start-up. What is it you want to do ? It may be easier to just install a proper desktop Linux - Debian with KDE desktop or Kubuntu so something.

KDM

Thanks Forester for taking the time to explain clearly the various relationships. I know Knoppix has no login. But for some reason the German forum seemed to indicate otherwise. It was a loose comment, so I am just building my beginners database of Linux knowledge. I have tried other full installations, including Debian. However, my system seems to respond very poorly to the extended Fat file system,which many other distros use. Reiser is running like a charm. I like LXDE because I am now familiar with it. Basically, like I said - I am trying to build my knowledge base. I do intend to go full, something - I am not sure yet what it will be. I will never be satisifed with any other FS performance having used Knoppix. Quite the conumdrum. Maybe my AMD processor has something to do with this. Thanks again for taking the time to map it all for me. This should be useful to many other beginners.

Well I have good news and bad. The good news is that by using br24 on the boot command line you can actually load Debian full on Reiserfs. I am using it as we speak. The performance is comparable to Knoppix. I do have a user login, however it never seems to login as root.

The bad news is the mounts are not as easy. I cannot read my other file systems, yet. I was able to use apt-get to immediately put my firewall back into place, as Debian does not seem to have one in the package - yet as we all know - everything is closed on Linux until you initiate a connection. Also, apt-get seems to want the CD in the drive before it will install anything.

However, I feel good about having a full distro to learn with. I tried one other that loaded on Reiserfs, and ran KDE. But the KDE used was more cumbersome than Windows. If I wanted Windows I would not be trying Linux. Also, my AMD processor reverted back to 800 MHZ, as opposed to the full-out 1.625 it can run at. Seems like Amd has some sort of sliding scale. I had the same problem on windows 797MHz until I upgraded my memory, and processor software - then it went full.

So, my learning curve is back, never left actually, but I am looking forward to it. I have three OS's loaded running from a single Grub, Windows, Knoppix, and Debian. What one cannot do I will use the other two until I get it all figured out. If it were too easy, what with the fun?

And it gets better... I just tried the bf24 option with the latest Debian release, and it did not work. So I went back to my old Debian Lenny, used the bf24 option - But, this time selected "add user extended attributes" - in one selection, and deselected Desktop Environment in another.

I loaded the Linux Base image 2.6.26.2, with no desktop. Then I edited sources.list, commented out everything for Lenny, and added security stable, and stable - debian (taken from Knoppix); and installed LXDE. It updated the base image to 2.6.26.32.5.

Right now I am running Debian, on Reiserfs, with LXDE (XII) - and a user login. (the base install thinks it is setting-up for KDE or Gnome - whichever, or both - so it makes you enter a root password, and another user with a password. No login prompt for root, but I do not see why you would need one.) Also, my other file systems mount right in file manager, just like Knoppix.

My system is running so fast I can barely keep up, and NO JUNK.

Kudos to the Debian developers! I am in "End-user heaven".

Thanks Knoppix for whetting my appetite. I am already doing everything I was using Knoppix for. Afraid to say it but it is actually a bit faster.

(By the way. I did notice that the current Debian had an option for BTRFS file-system. Might be the new Reiser, but you must have the full .iso - which I did not. So I improvised. LEARN COMMAND LINE!)

Hi Bo,

I'm glad you like Debian even though this is a Knoppix forum.

I'm afraid I have no idea what this br24 is you used to install/boot Debian. Do tell.

You are telling us Debian this and Debian that when it seems you're mixing up releases of Debian in a most unconventional manner. I've installed Debian many times and know that you are confused and what you write is a tad incorrect. Others may not realise this.

On Desktops

The current (stable) release of Debian is Debian 6, known as Squeeze. The previous (oldstable) release is Debian 5, known as Lenny.

With Squeeze you can install Gnome, KDE, XFCE or LXDE desktops. LXDE is new with Squeeze.

There are a great many Debian Squeeze iso files you can download and install from. With DVD 1 you can install any of the four desktops: Gnome is the default - to install one of the others select Advanced ... and follow your nose. There are actually three CD 1s - a Gnome version, a KDE version and a ligthweight desktop version. Other isos (such as the dual 32-bit/64-bit PC installer) tend to be Gnome only.

Even that is tosh. I installed on a machine without CD/DVD reader using a USB stick that booted the smallest net install image. It didn't take me long to figure out how to hack it to install KDE. It's just a cheat code after all.

On Installation

The Lenny installation asks for a root password and also creates a default user account with password. This has nothing to do with desktop choice or lack thereof. The display manager (here KDM), by default, only offers you a choice from among 'user' accounts with a uid of 1000 or greater. So are not given the choice of root but there is nothing to stop you logging in a root - you just have to learn how to type the word root instead of clicking on it.

New with Squeeze is the possibility to not have a root password but to have sudo instead. This is as in Ubuntu (sudo with password) not as is Knoppix (sudo without password).

On KDE

At the time of the release of Debian 5, the stable release of KDE was 3.5. KDE 4 was available but not stable enough. Therefore with Lenny you get a old fashioned KDE that looks and feels a bit like, if you are old enough to have used it, Windows 2000. With Squeeze you get KDE 4. It's KDE, Jim, but not as we know it.

On kernel versions

As you noted, Debian 5 uses Linux 2.6.26, Debian 6 uses Linx 2.6.32 (and Knoppux 6.4.4 uses 2.6.37). It is quite possible the Debian 5 kernel is too old to understand your sliding scale AMD processor. It sounds like your processor is new enough to run a 64-bit Debian so try installing that properly and see how your machine flies (or not).

On mount

Your description of mount is unclear. It is clear you assume that Linux automounts file systems for you. It does not.

Knoppix has always been exceptional in this regard. It adds entries to /etc/fstab so that the ordinary user can mount any file system. Debian does not: you need root or sudo privileges or you edit /etc/fstab yourself.

At one point your were having trouble accessing file systems using Lenny with an undisclosed KDE file manager (guess Dolphin or Konqueror) and at another point using (I guess) PCMan for LXDE under Squeeze. Chalk and cheese.

File managers evolve: Dolphin under KDE 4 is better than under KDE 3.5 (if you like that kind of thing). Automounting file systems is something a file manager can do if you set up /etc/fstab correctly (as Knoppix has always done) or it can take root privilege via sudo whenever necessary. Quite possibly the differences you observed between your first and second attempts comes from the way you installed Debian and did or did not specify a root password.

On apt

Debian installation is usually from CD, DVD or Blueray medium. A default set of packages is installed. The medium is, in effect, a snapshot of a subset of the Debian repositories (the Knoppix CD/DVD are not). You can go back to the medium and install additional packages, provided the packages are there. That is why the CD appears in the sources list used by apt and why you are asked to insert the disk each time you install software. The installation medium is all some installations have: Debian is not only used for sufing the Internet.

During the installation you were asked to choose a Debian mirror during the configuration of apt. If you chose one, then the full set of Debian repositories was added to the source list used by apt.

After installation most people simply comment out the installation medium from their sources list. I think you should be able to do this from synaptic, saving you the trouble of "learning the command line".

There is plenty of documentation on Debian on the Debain wiki. A little more reading and a little less doing and you will finding you are learning more and guessing less.

I do not really understand your tone. I am set! I did not install a desktop, thusly - everything had to done from command line (learn it?).

I am Debian GNU/Linux 6.0; using Linux image 2.6.32.5; LXDE Lightweight XII.

My system is fully functional, but only with the applications of my choosing. Gparted tells me that I am in fact running on ReiserFS, utilizing the same swap space established by Knoppix. And, I am using 1.91GB, as opposed to Knoppix 8.19GB. cat /proc/cpuinfo and meminfo tells me that I am running at 1.625GHZ, with full memory 1.25.

I no longer have video acceleration problems (I can go full screen). I no longer have clock problems. And, as you can tell - I no longer have an editor problem.

You guys take care. I am moving over to Linux Forums.

Knoppix was great. I still have it. However, I edited grub/menu.lst to hide it. Now if you power my system on, you must login to windows or debian.

After careful examination (20+ years as a end-user), my instincts tell me that Knoppix has a problem with AMD. And, as you all recommend - it is not intended for HD install. I used it to learn command line, by trying to fix all my problems. It taught me what I needed to know to choose the right distro for my system. I have loaded and tried at least 6 or 7 different distros.

bf24 (my bad - surely) is a boot cheat code that would once invoke a different kernal. It seems that later releases are more than likely beyond that kernal. Fortunately, my Debian CD is from 9/2010.

Take care.
    Last edited by BoDiddley; 04-28-2011 at 09:26 PM.

... almost forgot; i686.