Thread: Time

Hybrid View

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... the HD-installation of Knoppix is an installation to HD like other OS (Debian, Ubuntu etc). The differences are among other things: no root password by default, no safety updates, only user knoppix.

You can chroot within this installation for remastering purpose, but is isn't chroot'd by default. Tell me, if I'm wrong.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)
    This issue is fairly central to my question: I am coming from an Ubuntu environment so I expected to find some differences but need some help. I liked the look of 7.0.2 on the live DVD so wanted to try it out as a 64bit HD install as a possible replacement for my lxde Mint 9. Found the installer didn't have a manual install option to specify the partition for my /home folder and my pre-existing username. Also wanted to continue to use grub2 after a few years of getting used to it. So I have installed grub2 to the mbr from a live CD and did an update-grub from another partiton OS. Then after creating the additional user adding it to sudoers and editing the fstab to include the mounting of various HD partitons I find I have mount troubles. Booting with either the original knoppix user or the added user the fstab mount points are not mounted.

Mount returns

/dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime) proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime) usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime) tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=2097152k) udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=20480k) tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=2097152k) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=1777)

where fstab looks like:

proc /proc proc noauto 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0 /dev/sda8 / reiserfs relatime 0 0 /dev/sda9 none swap defaults 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX # noauto,users,exec 0 0 #Added by me /dev/sda6 /home ext3 defaults,rw 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sr0 /media/sr0 auto noauto,users,exec 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sda7 /media/sda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sda2 /media/sda2 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sda5 /media/sda5 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0

The line

Code:
    /dev/root on / type reiserfs (rw,relatime)
    makes it look like it is booting a DVD image still and fstab seems not to be loaded. Uname -r returns 3.3.7 so I don't believe the following grub.cfg lines are doing the wrong thing.:

menuentry "KNOPPIX (on /dev/sda" { insmod reiserfs set root='(hd0,' search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set c20b16c7-61ef-4410-9007-62b75197301c linux /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 rootwait lang=en apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq tz=localtime loglevel=1 knoppix_dir=knoppix1 lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 vt.default_utf8=0 noimage rw and cat /proc/cmdline looks consistent with this: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda8 rootwait lang=en apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq tz=localtime loglevel=1 knoppix_dir=knoppix1 lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 vt.default_utf8=0 noimage rw

I have tried adding mount -a in various places to force it to be loaded during boot including in /etc/rc.local and /opt/bootlocal.sh and also /etc/init.d/knoppix-start without success It would be easy to blow the install away and load something else but I wanted to give Knoppix a really good shot as everything else looks fine. Anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be much appreciated.

-------------------------------
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
    WPS
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-23-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: unreadable posting