Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
Ah, I know what ctrl-alt-bksp does not work on some of the later distros ...

... it is no longer the default ... you have to tell X you want this functionality.
That sounds like a BIG clue. I wonder if there's an "intercept and do nothing" type function for ctrl-Alt-Fx in X. But why would it be so consistent for both of us, in opposite ways?
Apparently, the story goes, Ubuntu users are so crass they keep typing ctrl-alt-bksp by mistake. (How ? The whole point of it being ctrl-alt-bksp is you can't press three keys like that by mistake).
The mistake is at the source - confusion about another famous "three-finger salute", I bet.
You can do so too when taking other distros out for a spin. Edit the file /etc/default/keyboard and make sure the line that starts XKBOPTIONS includes the option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp.
But this is another one that doesn't work for me with Knoppix! I'll definitely poke around, as suggested.
Now its your turn: find out how to restore the old behaviour of ctrl+alt+del.

Did you know you can now even get X to give you "shift with numeric keypad keys works as in MS Windows" ? There soon won't be any point in using Linux as it will be just a Windows clone. Damn Ubuntu.
Cheers!
Krishna