Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new to the forums - issues with vnc and internet print sharing

I'm new to the forums - issues with vnc and internet print sharing

Greetings to all,

this my first knoppix forum and I'm just introducing myself. I have some issues:
    has anyone ever used knoppix 6.4 live DVD terminal client to remote to a WinXp Pro box and
    desired to print a doc from the WnXp Pro box back to a printer connected to the linux box using the knoppix live 6.4 DVD?

my internet connection works fine.
    I can remote connect to my WinXp Pro box from the linux box fine
    I have HP printer connected to the linux box and it is working good.
    The localhost:631 is working good and I can see my printer
    I to want to use protocal "ipp"
    but I can't seem to make this configuration print from windows to my printer connected to linux box.
    I tried my best to follow example: gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
    but it didn't work.
    Please help

I'm providing more info from linux box localhost:631

here is more info:

I installed my deskjet d4260 twice as a:
    local printer > http://192.168.1.xx:631/printers/dskjetd4260
    DskjetD4200 (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared)
    Description: Deskjet-D4200-series
    Driver: HP Deskjet d4200 Series, hpcups 3.10.6 (color, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: hp:/usb/Deskjet_D4200_series?serial=TH742341PX04XT
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided

class printer > http://192.168.1.xx:631/classes/dskjetd4260
    ipd4260 (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default)
    Description: HP D4260 4 internet
    Members: DskjetD4200
    Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=unknown

I'm able to print test pages from both addresses and they seem to work great from the cups web manager.
    I use terminal server client to connect to the office from the cubical space within another office, I then
    copy one of the url's above to use to use as a print share URL on the WinXp Pro box but keep getting the same error:
    "Windows can not connect to the printer either the printer name was typed incorrectly or it has lost its connection"

Which operating system? Knoppix live DVD
    Which version? 6.4
    Which Kernel?
    Which version of CUPS? CUPS 1.4.4
    Was it the one bundled to your Linux distribution? yes
    Did you compile it yourself? no
    What method did you use to install your printer? I used pref > printers > config printers also I used the CUPS web interface to install HP Deskjet D4260

All is printing fine. The issue is I can't get the internet sharing to connect.
    here is the cupsd.conf file
    LogLevel warn
    MaxLogSize 0
    SystemGroup lpadmin
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
    Browsing On
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
    BrowseAllow all
    BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
    BrowseLocalProtocols cups dnssd lpd smb
    DefaultAuthType Basic
    <Location />
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    # Allow remote access...
    Order allow,deny
    Allow all
    </Location>
    <Location /admin>
    Order allow,deny
    </Location>
    <Location /admin/conf>
    Satisfy any
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order allow,deny
    </Location>
    <Policy default>
    <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    </Policy>
    <Policy authenticated>
    <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Satisfy any
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    AuthType Default
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
    </Policy>
    BrowsePoll server:631

Hi knoplover and welcome to the Knoppix forums.

I suspect there is quite a lot of confusion here. There is nothing wrong with that but what often happens is the confusion is ignored, folks try to answer the question they think has been asked, the chap asking the question can't use the answers and changes their name to knophater.

The title of your thread implies you are using vnc to connect to Windows XP from Knoppix. Why ? Not why are you still using Windows but why are you using vnc instead of rdp ?

You write that you are accessing Window XP remotely. Is that at home on your local LAN or is that at work from home using a VPN your employer has authorised you to access ?

With the vnc (or rdp) protocol, as you are using it, Knoppix is the client and the Windows XP machine is the server. With ipp, as you write you want to use it, Knoppix would be the server and Windows XP the client. In such a scenario, how you log on to Windows XP is irrelevant. Your issue appears to have nothing to do with vnc (or rdp).

The Gentoo notes you reference are interesting but they describe how to set up printing from Linux, which you write already works. For ipp they describe how to set up Linux as the ipp client but your description suggests to me you want to set up Knoppix as the ipp server. I'm not suggesting you can't but I am not surprised have not been successful.

By all means look for notes on how to use Linux to make a local printer in to a network printer using ipp but start with distributions more closely related to Knoppix: Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint and other Debian derived distributions.

Have you any compelling reason to use ipp ? It, and your assertion that your Internet connection works fine, suggests you want to print documents from a machine at work on a printer at home. There could be all sorts of firewall reasons why that is not working for you.

You've already checked from Iceweasel under Knoppix that http://localhost:631 works so find out the IP address of your Knoppix machine (say <IP>) and try http://<ip>:631 from browsers under Knoppix and your Windows XP machine. If the first doesn't work you've a Knoppix configuration problem. You have already run the Knoppix cupsconfig script ?

I have an HP network printer. I can print on it using CUPS from Linux. I use the hplip package on Linux clients to 'discover' the printer. The hplip package does not appear on the (LXDE) menus but it is there on the 6.4.4 DVD. Try running it and check the CUPS printer configuration is set up act as a server.

Whack your DVD into your Windows XP machine, reboot to Knoppix, run up hplip and see if you can print remotely. This way you'll find out if you have a network (firewall) configuration problem or a Windows XP configuration problem.

I can't help with a Windows problem: all my Linux boxes are samba printer servers so if I were ever to want to print from Windows () I'd print over my LAN to a 'remote' samba printer on a Linux box which would spool the print job over my LAN to the HP network printer. If it ain't broke ...

Thanks for your quick response. I trust you guys can help get this going.

The title of your thread implies you are using vnc to connect to Windows XP from Knoppix. Why ? Not why are you still using Windows but why are you using vnc instead of rdp ?
    Please for give me. I did intend to use RDP in the subject line. I use both terminal server client and RDP. I use vnc server on the WINXp box.

You write that you are accessing Window XP remotely. Is that at home on your local LAN or is that at work from home using a VPN your employer has authorised you to access ?
    I'm in a commercial space and connect to my home office local LAN which has WinXp pro. I wanted to implement a VPN but didn't know how to implement it properly.

With the vnc (or rdp) protocol, as you are using it, Knoppix is the client and the Windows XP machine is the server.
    You are so correct
    With ipp, as you write you want to use it, Knoppix would be the server and Windows XP the client.
    You are so correct. that is what I want to accomplish.
    In such a scenario, how you log on to Windows XP is irrelevant. Your issue appears to have nothing to do with vnc (or rdp).
    I didn't see winlogin an issue either because I can control my winXp box without issue but it seems to have something to do with CUPS and why it won't connect back to knoppix is frustrating

The Gentoo notes you reference are interesting but they describe how to set up printing from Linux, which you write already works. For ipp they describe how to set up Linux as the ipp client
    but your description suggests to me you want to set up Knoppix as the ipp server.
    that is correct
    I'm not suggesting you can't but I am not surprised have not been successful.
    is there a better way?

By all means look for notes on how to use Linux to make a local printer in to a network printer using ipp but start with distributions more closely related to Knoppix: Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint and other Debian derived distributions.
    this is what I have been doing but the confusion is creating a network printer over the internet and thinking of the exact keywords to bring me positve results and i have been unsuccessful. Its the reason I have turn to you guys, the guru's for help.

Have you any compelling reason to use ipp ?
    ipp suggest to me that the protocal has the ability to print over the internet which is what i want to do from my WinXp Pro box back to my printer on the knoppix box using the live DVD.
    It, and your assertion that your Internet connection works fine, suggests you want to print documents from a machine at work on a printer at home.
    that is incorrect. I want to print document from the home office WinXp Pro Box to the commercial space where I'm using the knoppix Live DV 6.4

You've already checked from Iceweasel under Knoppix that http://localhost:631 works
    that is true
    so find out the IP address of your Knoppix machine (say <IP>) and try http://<ip>:631 from browsers under Knoppix
    this works great. when i use the knoppix<IP>:631 address the cups configuration web manager opens up without issue.
    and your Windows XP machine.
    This is where I run into problems. The printer is installed on the knoppix box and not WinXp box. What Ip address should I use to connect back to my knoppix printer? I have forwared 631 ports on both routers and I'm still not having success.
    You have already run the Knoppix cupsconfig script ?
    how do I get to it? is the above info the cupsconfig script?

I have an HP network printer. I can print on it using CUPS from Linux.
    the printer I use isn't a network printer like hp 2600n but just a plain deskjet printer. I can print to it using cups
    I use the hplip package on Linux clients to 'discover' the printer. The hplip package does not appear on the (LXDE) menus but it is there on the 6.4.4 DVD. Try running it and check the CUPS printer configuration is set up act as a server.
    I thought if you setup print sharing in cups, it will act like a server. Am I wrong?

Whack your DVD into your Windows XP machine, reboot to Knoppix, run up hplip and see if you can print remotely. This way you'll find out if you have a network (firewall) configuration problem or a Windows XP configuration problem.
    I'm not sure what you are suggesting because the knoppix box and printer is at another location. will you explain in another way to test?

Thanks. look forward to you all reply and response.

Hi again. Thanks for your response. I understand your situation a bit better now. It is sometimes difficult to see what it so obvious to the other person.

So the Knoppix and the Windows XP machines are in different locations. So ipp is probably the right way to go and samba (aka cifs) is not.

You don't have a VPN so the two machines do not even appear to be on the same LAN (aka network subnet). That makes 'discovery' of the Knoppix ipp server by the Windows XP client unlikely so you'll have to tell the client where the server is.

Testing this kind of thing is difficult - you can't just pop home to check something. It could be that you have configuration issues with the server, with the network connection and with the client or any combination thereof. Divide and conqueror, if you have the time and motivation.

If you have a second machine at home (best would be to take the Windows XP machine home but that may not be possible), then boot it to Knoppix and get it to print on your ipp server. Then reboot the second machine to Windows XP and get it print on your ipp server. Then when you know both ends are configured correctly, try it over the Internet.

The first thing to check is the ipp server configuration. The configuration file you posted does not look good. It appears to be configured at act as a server for Knoppix only. There are quite a few lines:

Code:
    Allow from 127.0.0.1
    These allow only someone connected to localhost:631 (i.e. someone on the Knoppix machine) to use the pertinent service (in particular <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>).

Open a terminal and type in:

Code:
    sudo cupsconfig
    This is a Knoppix shell script but I don't know the details. It may allow you to make a first pass at configuring your Knoppix CUPS as a ipp server to more that just localhost. If it doesn't, try hplip (I'm not very hopeful) and even the CUPS http interface. I've not met your situation before so I can only suggest you try these programs.

If one of these programs lets you specify the 'network' / 'machines' the ipp server is to serve, try the network 'All' or '*' or '0.0.0.0' to mean 'serve everyone everywhere'. That's not terribly secure so I hesitate to suggest it. However, unless you know the IP address of the Windows XP machine in advance, I fear you have little option.

If the programs don't do it for you, you will have to edit cupsd.conf by hand. First you need to read and try to understand both:

Code:
    man 8 cupsd
    man 5 cupsd.conf
    You have the DVD edition so you have the Konqueror browser. So I suggest you run that and type into the address bar # cups. You'll be presented with a drop-box list of cups man pages. Warning: it is quite long.

In the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf you will need to change the Allow lines to (I think):

[CODE]Allow from all/CODE]

I think you'll need:

Code:
    DefaultShared Yes
    and for local, at home, tests I think you will need the line:

Code:
    BrowseAllow all
    I think the killer in your cupsd.conf is the line:

Code:
    Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
    Your ipp server is not listenting to anybody but itself. You need to add a line:

Code:
    Listen Microknoppix:631
    but where Microknoppix is the IP address by which the Knoppix machines ethernet interface (not 127.0.0.1). Here 0.0.0.0:631 might do the trick.

There may be others you need to add/alter. Now you see why I'm hoping one of the programs I've suggested will do the trick.

Once you've got that right you should be able to print from Knoppix on another machine on your home LAN. Make a note of the ipp server's address as seen from the client machine (http://<server>:631).

Now repeat with Windows XP at home. It should be able to 'discover' the printer. That will save you the trouble of guessing how you to transcribe http://<server>:631 into Windoze speek. Practice typing it in anyway as you probably need to do so when you try over the Internet.

Now try for real. Since vnc works, you have some network connectivity, which is a good start.

Anyway, try that, see how far you get. I really have get to work now. Good luck.

greetings,

before I start making changes to the cups config file, will the info from the ipp section of of the gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by knoplover View Post
    before I start making changes to the cups config file, will the info from the ipp section of of the gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml help at all?
    Hi again. Sorry I wasn't available last night.

The brutally honest answer is "No, not if you have to ask that question".

The longer answer is that Gentoo documentation appears to be up-to-date, well-written and written by a couple of guys who know and care. Three out of three ain't bad considering many Q&A forums (including this one sometimes) score 0.

The last line of the first section is very relevant:

In this document we will cover how to use CUPS to setup a local or networked printer. We will not go in too much detail since the project has great documentation available for advanced usage.
    What you are trying to do counts as 'advanced'.

The second section is totally irrelevant: Gentoo is well know as a distribution where you spend half your life reconfiguring your kernel. Knoppix is intended for teaching but not that kind of learning.

The parts of the third section on installation are largely irrelevant: Gentoo has its own package management system with its own arcane terminology.

The bit that is interesting here is the USE flags. I suspect with Knoppix you get the Debian default, which I guess is all. I can only guess at which you need and if one of those is missing I suspect you are stuck.

The parts of the third section on configuration and later sections are, as far as I know, Linux distribution independent and some parts may be relevant.

I'd say 3.4, 3.5, 3,7, 3.8 are all relevant to your first trials for printing from Knoppix to Knoppix at home.

Section 5.2 on installing hplip drivers is a little disconcernting: this is where i would have started as I have a HP printer but Gentoo treats this as a obscure specialisation.

Of section 6 only Configuring a Windows Client for IPP is relevant and that makes it sound so easy doesn't it ? That should be fine for your printing from Windows to Knoppix trials at home and may well be what you need to print from Windows at home to Knoppix at work.

Go back to the beginning of section 4. The only sentence in the Introduction section seems to imply your are on the wrong page. I doubt it but you should check before wasting more time.

I know you've searched the Internet and found only the Gentoo notes. I appreciate that web-sites, in general, and wikis, in particular, are difficult to use and so you are reluctant to look for instructions that might be more relevant. So I'll make it easy for you.

In your browser address bar enter:
    Code:
    http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage
    This is the Debian wiki. Debian is the distribution on which Knoppix is based so the information here is likely to less inappropriate that any information elsewhere. I have not used it very often but when I have I have been impressed. If you leave off the FrontPage part of the url you are likely to end up on the German language Debian wiki. The Debian wiki has pages in 24 languages so you may be lucky and find the information you are looking for in the language understand best.

From the FrontPage, select System Administration and then Printing system. Just as with Gentoo, not all the information here will be relevant to your particular problem but at least the bits that are are talking about the right distribution.

If you're scared the Debian wiki might a little too technical, you might find the Ubuntu wiki more to your taste. Go to:

Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community
    They keep making this more and more user friendly so I have more and more difficulty finding my way round this wiki but part way down this page you'll find a link named Printers. That would probably be a good place to start.

I've tried different setup in the cups config and at times after the cups changes, I can't administer cups anymore. Ive tried installing the windows d4260 drivers on winxp thinking if I could get the IPP connection correct, windows would have the correct drivers to communicate with knoppix. I attempted port redirection on WinXp but nothing is working. Please help Thanks.

A pic is below to assist in illustrate what my issue is about.
    internet printin&.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator Moderator
    that is true
    so find out the IP address of your Knoppix machine (say <IP>) and try http://<ip>:631 from browsers under Knoppix
    this works great. when i use the knoppix<IP>:631 address the cups configuration web manager opens up without issue.
    and your Windows XP machine.
    This is where I run into problems. The printer is installed on the knoppix box and not WinXp box. What Ip address should I use to connect back to my knoppix printer? I have forwared 631 ports on both routers and I'm still not having success.
    ... I think, you need a dynamic address by DYNDNS.org for your router of the commercial office - for example "my_office.dyndns.info"

On the windows computer add new printer with connection over the internet and the URL:

http://my_office.dyndns.info:631/printers/dskjetd4260

On windows side you also need the drivers for the new printer.

On linux side you need port forwarding from the router to the Knoppix computer.

With DYNDNS.org you first need a free account; then you can create a free dynamic address.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

Greetings

here is an update on getting winxp to use a printer connected to a knoppix live dvd cups server.
    Since I was having such an issue trying to print via the internet from WinXp to my Knoppix print server,
    I decided to take my knoppix laptop to the home office where the WinXp is located and connect the knoppix laptop to the LAN.

Now having the the WinXp box and Knoppix in the same place, I boot the laptop with knoppix 6.4 Live DVD. All is good.
    I connect my HP 4260 to the laptop that will be used as my print server. All is good

The next step is remote into the WinXp.
    open terminal server
    use router internet addy for computer field
    select RDP

Now that a connection is made.

It time to config WinXp to use the print server

upon my research I found the following:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-539255.html
    mtn
    September 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM

Hey,

I'm no network expert but I notice this post is a week old so I'll just mention how I would start with this issue.

First, I would try and get the printer going as a network printer between 2 machines. I.e. the printer hardwired into an Ubuntu machine and sharing the printer to either another XP or Ubuntu machine accross the network. I got things going using this how to: http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/...ter_using_CUPS

I had to stop the firewall on the server (i.e the machine that the printer is attached to), using Firestarter, while setting the printer up. I also had to create a new policy to always allow access to the print server (Ubuntu machine) 0n port 631 from the client machine’s IP address.

Once the Ubuntu machine was setup as a server for the printer it took about 5mins to get a Windows XP machine sharing the printer, over the same home network, using this how to: http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/wini...003-07-20.html. The only bits I actually had to use are posted below.

(Note: my network printer address - http://192.168.2.4:631/printers/printer que name)

Hostname lookup

Another common step is to ensure that hostname broadcast by CUPS is accessible from the Windows XP machine. If your CUPS machine is accessible using a name rather than just an IP address then you don’t need to do anything for this step. If the CUPS machine is not accessible via it’s hostname then you need to set a mapping between the CUPS hostname and its IP address in the Windows hosts file. Under WindowsXP the host file is in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS, in Win2k replace WINDOWS with WINNT. The format is simple:

# Example hosts entry
    192.168.0.3 rock

Under some CUPS server configurations you will be able to use the IP address instead of the hostname, but often only a hostname will work.
    Postscript Printing

To use a printer queue as a Postscript printer requires a Windows XP Postscript printer driver, such as the built-in MS Publisher Imagesetter or this freely available one from Adobe.
    Built-in MS Publisher Imagesetter

To use the MS Publisher Imagesetter driver, use “Add Printer” to add a new network printer, select “Connect to a printer on the Internet…” and enter the URL for your printer queue (e.g. http://rock:631/printers/Epson). When prompted for a driver select a Manufacturer of “Generic” and the Printer “MS Publisher Imagesetter”.

To get the print server working I would first make sure it was hooked up to the network. I think most decent print servers (like routers) have web based admins, i.e you can login to them just like they are a web site but located on your local network - http://192.168.2.1 Can you hardwire it into the router? Try getting the print servers IP from the router admin, and then try login in to the print server admin pages i.e. putting the print servers IP address into your web browser.

Once you have the print servers IP and you can login to it's admin I think you are getting somewhere. I'm not sure, but I think not all print servers will work with Linux, that is they don't support the necessary protocols. I could be wrong on this. I am looking for a print server at the moment and am going to ask on the forums if this is the case, or not, and what print server folks recommend. So far I have seen this one http://www.edimax.gr/en/support_deta...7&pl2_id=33#02 that looks good but in it's "compatibility list" my HP 1018 B&W laser Jet is not listed as being supported!!!

Oh well, hope this helps a bit.
    The following below is how I used the above info to get knoppix live DVD cups print server working on my LAN:
    Step 1: Make sure your printer works locally
    Before trying to get a network printer to work, make sure it works locally. While not specific, here's the basics of it (if your printer already works, skip to Step 2):

Download and install cups and any other driver software that you need (for example, gimp-print). If you are using swaret, it's as simple as
    Code:
    root# swaret --install cupsroot# swaret --install gimp-print
    Once installed, you need to start the cups daemon (this command will be different if you aren't using Slackware):
    Code:
    root#/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start
    This will start the cups server. Next, you'll need to add a printer by using the web interface. To do this, open a web browser and type in localhost:631. If your server is started, a page should load with links to various tasks. Click the first link Do Administration Tasks. A dialog will pop up asking for username and password. You need to log in as root and use your root password to access the administration menu.
    Once logged in, click add printers and follow the prompts to set up your printer. When the printer is added, click on the "Configure Printer" to set page size and printing quality but make no further changes to the setup. Finally, click "Print Test Page". If a test page prints, you're almost ready to go on to Step 2.

You'll want to double check your network setup. It will be easier on everyone involved if your printer server has a static ip instead of dhcp.

I USED DHCP FOR THIS SETUP

This can be done using Slackware's netconfig tool (be sure to restart inet1 to put your changes into effect--this is done by typing: /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 restart).
    OR
    if using knoppix and you DO want to use the DHCP address as your print server address open terminal and use ifconfig. This is the ip addy of the linux server connected to the printer.

Open terminal emulater called LxTerminal
    Code:
    Knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ ifconfigMy knoppix addy is 192.168.15.???My router gateway 68.???.???.?? (this maybe the address to use)

You may also have to adjust your router for a static ip. A quick note regarding static ip's:when you enter the gateway, enter the ip address of your router, or you won't be able to see the wonderfully wide web of the world!

Once your printer is setup and your ip is static, go on to Step 2.

con't in next post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast