Thread: Carrying Full Windows PC inside USB Flash Disk Via Knoppix NEED A LITTLE HELP

Carrying Full Windows PC inside USB Flash Disk Via Knoppix NEED A LITTLE HELP

I did manually it. And I succeed.
    But I want to automate tasks for peoples who new about Linux and Knoppix (Like me)

What I did is That.
    I used USB Flash Disk (32 GB Corsair Flash Voyager GTR)
    I seperated two partition:
    1st Partition 28 GB (NTFS)-With Grub4Dos Boot loader
    2nt Partition 4 GB (FAT)-With SysLinux BootLoader(And chained from1st partition)

I installed Knoppix to 2nd Partition. And I configured VirtualBox VirtualMachine with WindowsXP inside Knoppix.

I have given to VM Hardware access to 1st partition. And I located VirtualDisk To 1st Parition.
    I moved profile to out of Virtual HardDisk.(I put yhem into Physical place)
    And I also put a virtualbox portable to 1st partition And I have made all settings as same with Virtualbox in Knoppix.

What Advantage of this is :
    1-I am using any computer that have USB Boot Capable are as my computer. Knoppix solwes all driver issues. And after I use my windows.
    2-If I found any pc running windows I am accessing my virtual pc via portable virtualbox from window.
    3-I shared myy profile with my current pc and My desktop,documents,Mails are all time updated and in my pocket.
    4-I have all ability about windows and Linux in one USB flash drive..
    5-I can use my USB flash disk as a normal flash disk with any computer.

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS THAT..
    1-There is some shell commands to be used in Knoppix while organizing virtualbox. I want to have a shellscript that makes them.For beginners
    OR
    2-Want to make a remastered knoppix all that are organized and converted to a disk image to new users

Please help to realize that.

Senior Member registered user

Lots of ways to do this,

Quote Originally Posted by yusasen View Post
    I did manually it. And I succeed.
    But I want to automate tasks for peoples who new about Linux and Knoppix (Like me)

What I did is That.
    I used USB Flash Disk (32 GB Corsair Flash Voyager GTR)
    I seperated two partition:
    1st Partition 28 GB (NTFS)-With Grub4Dos Boot loader
    2nt Partition 4 GB (FAT)-With SysLinux BootLoader(And chained from1st partition)

I installed Knoppix to 2nd Partition. And I configured VirtualBox VirtualMachine with WindowsXP inside Knoppix.

I have given to VM Hardware access to 1st partition. And I located VirtualDisk To 1st Parition.
    I moved profile to out of Virtual HardDisk.(I put yhem into Physical place)
    And I also put a virtualbox portable to 1st partition And I have made all settings as same with Virtualbox in Knoppix.

What Advantage of this is :
    1-I am using any computer that have USB Boot Capable are as my computer. Knoppix solwes all driver issues. And after I use my windows.
    2-If I found any pc running windows I am accessing my virtual pc via portable virtualbox from window.
    3-I shared myy profile with my current pc and My desktop,documents,Mails are all time updated and in my pocket.
    4-I have all ability about windows and Linux in one USB flash drive..
    5-I can use my USB flash disk as a normal flash disk with any computer.

WHAT I WANT TO DO IS THAT..
    1-There is some shell commands to be used in Knoppix while organizing virtualbox. I want to have a shellscript that makes them.For beginners
    OR
    2-Want to make a remastered knoppix all that are organized and converted to a disk image to new users

Please help to realize that.
    Very nice that you have got this working! I have some comments, though:

1. Have you considered flash wear issues? While I think they could be controlled reasonably well in "pure" Linux, what about the virtual machine(s)?

2. Why did you use that particular partitioning/formatting scheme?

3. You may very soon run into problems with that small Knoppix partition (4GB).

4. Did you realize there is little sense in using two bootloaders and chaining when using grub4dos as the first?

5. Have you looked into Forester's remastering script? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...allation/page2

6. I don't see exactly where remastering comes in for you/other users in this scenario. I think the necessary programs mostly come with the DVD version, and the necessary modifications are easily accomodated on persistent store.

7. I think the running virtual Windows machines can not be redistributed in any case, unless Microsoft provides licenses.

My own approach:
    First, I use a 2.5" 115GB SSD mounted in an external USB3 cabinet. Two partitions: ca 30 GB FAT32 for Knoppix and data exchange, and the rest for ext3 storage.
    Booting: Preferably with grub, but anything that works goes.

Knoppix: Remastered image plus 4GB persistent store. I use Vmware Workstation for running virtual machines, which are stored in a directory at partition2, with backup tarballs of important versions (always possible to go back). After remastering, vmware is now in the compressed Knoppix image. I use a modification of Forester's script for remastering.

Currently, I have Win2000, WinXP and Win7 in virtual machines, all of them in use,

In contrast to USB flash sticks, SSD runs FAST, in particular with USB3-eqipped computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Very nice that you have got this working! I have some comments, though:

1. Have you considered flash wear issues? While I think they could be controlled reasonably well in "pure" Linux, what about the virtual machine(s)?

2. Why did you use that particular partitioning/formatting scheme?

3. You may very soon run into problems with that small Knoppix partition (4GB).

4. Did you realize there is little sense in using two bootloaders and chaining when using grub4dos as the first?

5. Have you looked into Forester's remastering script? http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...allation/page2

6. I don't see exactly where remastering comes in for you/other users in this scenario. I think the necessary programs mostly come with the DVD version, and the necessary modifications are easily accomodated on persistent store.

7. I think the running virtual Windows machines can not be redistributed in any case, unless Microsoft provides licenses.

My own approach:
    First, I use a 2.5" 115GB SSD mounted in an external USB3 cabinet. Two partitions: ca 30 GB FAT32 for Knoppix and data exchange, and the rest for ext3 storage.
    Booting: Preferably with grub, but anything that works goes.

Knoppix: Remastered image plus 4GB persistent store. I use Vmware Workstation for running virtual machines, which are stored in a directory at partition2, with backup tarballs of important versions (always possible to go back). After remastering, vmware is now in the compressed Knoppix image. I use a modification of Forester's script for remastering.

Currently, I have Win2000, WinXP and Win7 in virtual machines, all of them in use,

In contrast to USB flash sticks, SSD runs FAST, in particular with USB3-eqipped computers.
    1-I know flash issues. But the option I have to pu in my pocked is that
    Because of that I am using Corsair FLash Voyager 32GB UFD and planning to buy 128GB one.
    It's fast anough to run Virtual Machines.
    2-The reason of Use the particular partition shema is that.
    I am putting virtual harddisks in first big partition.
    Also user profiles of windows(Desktop,Documents,Mailbox) are located at the first partition (Out of
    the virtual disk). And I put a portable virtual box there. If I am working on a windows pc I am able to reach everything without boot form UFD. Also I am able to use same settings with booting from Knoppix.
    3-4GB partition for knoppix is enough for me. Because I am using knoppix for only solwe driver issues and use virtualbox.
    4-Using two bootloaders (Grub chained syslinux) is coming because of I don't have knowledge .
    That was the only way I could find.
    5-Thanks for your link about Forester's remastering script. I will try to learn and use it
    6-Remastering need is comes from that. Using Flash disc with that way is very risky. When the bad scenerio comes true I will loose even persistent image. And installing and setting all again will take time. If I can remaster with all settings. I will keep a clean copy.
    7-I am not planning to distribute that. Only I shared my experiences with peoples(All windows users )
    Asking me to make this easy.(in 3 Month I received more than 1000 email). If I can remaster with all settings (Including Virtualbox settings and vmdk,vdi locations). People can use by only locating their own vdi's.

AND IF I AM ASKING SO BASIC(AND MAY BE WRONG) QUESTIONS I AM SORRY. BUT I AM REALLY FRESH ABOUT LINUX AND KNOPPIX.

THANKS ..

1-I know flash issues. But the option I have to pu in my pocked is that
    Because of that I am using Corsair FLash Voyager 32GB UFD and planning to buy 128GB one. It's fast anough to run Virtual Machines.
    Well, where I live, I can get a 64GB SSD disk for less than 100 Euro, which is less than quality USB sticks the same size. I think that would accomodate the needs you describe? SSD is faster and safer.

2-The reason of Use the particular partition shema is that.
    I am putting virtual harddisks in first big partition.
    Also user profiles of windows(Desktop,Documents,Mailbox) are located at the first partition (Out of the virtual disk). And I put a portable virtual box there. If I am working on a windows pc I am able to reach everything without boot form UFD. Also I am able to use same settings with booting from Knoppix.
    I think I see what you are doing. With the need for direct datasharing with Windows on another PC, that NTFS partition should be close to optimal in your case. But just a wee bit smaller - see below.

3-4GB partition for knoppix is enough for me. Because I am using knoppix for only solwe driver issues and use virtualbox.
    It seems to be, but I still find it a bit impractical. Starting from the DVD image instead of the CD doesn't add much to costs nowadays, and it can save you - and other users - a lot of time and trouble. You need much less extra installs, and a therefore a smaller persistent image. So the net installation might in fact end up being about the same size.

4-Using two bootloaders (Grub chained syslinux) is coming because of I don't have knowledge .
    That was the only way I could find.
    If it works well, I would say it is per definition OK! I have just posted here on the forum an update on using Grub only in two-partition cases like yours. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...e-from-scratch Referring to that, in your case, you can follow it, and make the boot partition bigger, to accomodate the Knoppix and persistent images.

5-Thanks for your link about Forester's remastering script. I will try to learn and use it
    It is of some importance that you have a rudimentary understanding of what is going on. Don't be afraid of asking, but the more homework you do, the better the questions will be, and the answers.

6-Remastering need is comes from that. Using Flash disc with that way is very risky. When the bad scenerio comes true I will loose even persistent image. And installing and setting all again will take time. If I can remaster with all settings. I will keep a clean copy.
    Easily solved with a USB HD, for example a used one from a pc mounted in a 2.5" external cabinet. There you keep a backup of at least the current version of the USB stick. You might want to store earlier versions of the virtual machine and persistent store, too, in compressed form they won't take up much space, and you can then always rollback to an earlier setup if something goes wrong. You do NOT need a remastering for this, and a remastering will NOT solve your backup problems.

7-I am not planning to distribute that. Only I shared my experiences with peoples(All windows users )
    Asking me to make this easy.(in 3 Month I received more than 1000 email). If I can remaster with all settings (Including Virtualbox settings and vmdk,vdi locations). People can use by only locating their own vdi's.
    Again, you don't need to remaster for this. You just make two tarball or, maybe for Windows users, zip archives: One with Knoppix+persistent store, and one with the vm. The vm may be somewhat problematic, but the Knoppix archive you can just distribute. The steps for setting up media could also be included in a script. It is much easier for newbies to get a version with a started and trimmed persistent store than a version where modifications are compressed and read-only.

Remastering is, IMHO, for more special needs, for example:
    1. You absolutely want to keep the whole Knoppix package as small as possible. Then you start with the CD version, install extra programs as needed, and remaster. But in cases like yours, it may be rather little space to save.
    2. You want an updated system. Package updates can take up several GB from persistent store, so it makes sense to remaster an updated system.
    3. You want an essentially read-only system, minimizing size and use of persistent store. But then you may also reduce customizability, is that what your users need and want, really? Might be, might not.
    4. You have much more programs to install than fits in the persistent image. That's my case for remastering, but I used Knoppix for years before I did it - could solve all problems in other ways.

AND IF I AM ASKING SO BASIC(AND MAY BE WRONG) QUESTIONS I AM SORRY. BUT I AM REALLY FRESH ABOUT LINUX AND KNOPPIX.
    THANKS ..
    Don't be afraid to ask! In the worst case, you might be advised to do more homework - which is not to be taken badly either.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Well, where I live, I can get a 64GB SSD disk for less than 100 Euro, which is less than quality USB sticks the same size. I think that would accomodate the needs you describe? SSD is faster and safer.

I think I see what you are doing. With the need for direct datasharing with Windows on another PC, that NTFS partition should be close to optimal in your case. But just a wee bit smaller - see below.

It seems to be, but I still find it a bit impractical. Starting from the DVD image instead of the CD doesn't add much to costs nowadays, and it can save you - and other users - a lot of time and trouble. You need much less extra installs, and a therefore a smaller persistent image. So the net installation might in fact end up being about the same size.

If it works well, I would say it is per definition OK! I have just posted here on the forum an update on using Grub only in two-partition cases like yours. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...e-from-scratch Referring to that, in your case, you can follow it, and make the boot partition bigger, to accomodate the Knoppix and persistent images.

It is of some importance that you have a rudimentary understanding of what is going on. Don't be afraid of asking, but the more homework you do, the better the questions will be, and the answers.

Easily solved with a USB HD, for example a used one from a pc mounted in a 2.5" external cabinet. There you keep a backup of at least the current version of the USB stick. You might want to store earlier versions of the virtual machine and persistent store, too, in compressed form they won't take up much space, and you can then always rollback to an earlier setup if something goes wrong. You do NOT need a remastering for this, and a remastering will NOT solve your backup problems.

Again, you don't need to remaster for this. You just make two tarball or, maybe for Windows users, zip archives: One with Knoppix+persistent store, and one with the vm. The vm may be somewhat problematic, but the Knoppix archive you can just distribute. The steps for setting up media could also be included in a script. It is much easier for newbies to get a version with a started and trimmed persistent store than a version where modifications are compressed and read-only.

Remastering is, IMHO, for more special needs, for example:
    1. You absolutely want to keep the whole Knoppix package as small as possible. Then you start with the CD version, install extra programs as needed, and remaster. But in cases like yours, it may be rather little space to save.
    2. You want an updated system. Package updates can take up several GB from persistent store, so it makes sense to remaster an updated system.
    3. You want an essentially read-only system, minimizing size and use of persistent store. But then you may also reduce customizability, is that what your users need and want, really? Might be, might not.
    4. You have much more programs to install than fits in the persistent image. That's my case for remastering, but I used Knoppix for years before I did it - could solve all problems in other ways.

Don't be afraid to ask! In the worst case, you might be advised to do more homework - which is not to be taken badly either.
    Just last question.
    1-How can I remove all packages other than drivers and install VBox.OSE from knoppix. ?
    2-Where Knoppix locates Virtualbox configuration files ?

Just last question.
    1-How can I remove all packages other than drivers and install VBox.OSE from knoppix. ?
    2-Where Knoppix locates Virtualbox configuration files ?
    1. I don't think many care to know exactly which packages are minimally needed, so I would suggest you check out the package selection in some minimal distro, preferably a Knoppix derivative, and compare that package selection with the one in your running Knoppix version to single out candidates for dropping. You will find some hints about tools in remastering notes. But very often, you just ask for problems when you discard seemingly useless packages.
    2. I would be a bit surprised if Knoppix has its own way of storing configuration files for a standard program like Virtualbox, and if you find it has, I think you should contact Klaus Knopper about it. At least the startup-script virtualbox-ose in /etc/init.d seems to be the generic one. Knoppix normally does things the Debian way, which may differ from other distros. Whenever a program becomes a central tool to me, like Virtualbox clearly is for you, I find out as much as possible about the setup from manuals, howtos etc