Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk mount error?

Junior Member registered user

Disk mount error?

i am booting from disk on an old sony vaio pcg-n505sn with no harddrive, it gets to the point where the penguin comes up in the top right then it says waiting for usb... then it says could not mount disk to /mnt-system. starting debugging shell... immediately followed by sh: cant access tty; job control turned off and then nothing happens

Administrator Site Admin-
    Please see answer #7.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

i dont get it..... are you saying i should change the title of my post?

Apparently you did get it, thanks.

Knoppix does not need a hard disk at all, so it may not be the hard disk that is causing your problem, particularly if as you say this is no hard disk. It might help if you told us which version of Knoppix you were using, and if it is 6.x I would suggest trying a 5.x version. But most likely it was a problem in creating the disc, and the two most common problems with making a Knoppix disc are not checking the md5 checksum before burning (very important if you downloaded from a mirror rather than using BitTorrent) and bad burns, the most common source of these is burning at high speed. I very much suggest checking the md5 checksum and if it is correct then burning the ISO at low speed. That you got as far an the penguin/penguins does indicate that you are using a correct tool to burn an ISO image, a problem that some other users have.
    ---

hi, thanks for the reply originally i burnt at 48x then tried at 8x(my minimum) but no luck... i downloaded it through bittorrent and i got the link on this site so i dont know what the problem is

If you're comfortable with the 8x burn (I have no idea why some burning software refuses to burn at lower speeds on some hardware but I have seen this too) then that leaves two issues, bad media or the need to use a "cheat code" to get Knoppix to boot on that hardware. My guess would be that you need to find the right cheat code or combination of cheat codes to boot. Read over the cheat code file that should have come with the BitTorrent download. Beyond that it may just be trial and error.
    ---

hmmmm, i cant seem to find a cheat code file.

By the way, I not usually at all interested in if the disc will boot in a different computer, as high speed burns often will boot in some systems but not others. But if it was really a media problem and not a burn speed issue then I would expect bad media to fail in any computer, so if this disc does boot in other computers then I don't think it is likely to be a media issue. And one way to do a low speed burn with software that doesn't want to do it is to use a CDRW media, which also avoids waste if the problem doesn't change. The other is to back out of the burn on the software that is insisting on burning faster than you want and try different burning software, often Nero will insist on a higher burning speed than other software.
    ---

well i just tried a different version of linux on the same computer and still the same error, cant access tty; job control turned off so i think it might be something wrong with the computer i will try the disk on a different computer

Quote Originally Posted by dudepool
    hmmmm, i cant seem to find a cheat code file.
    Is should have been included in about a half dozen files that come as part of the torrent downloasd. If it is not there than I would really suggest doing that md5 test even though you downloaded with BitTorrent, takes just a minute or two and may save a lot of wasted time and at the very least rules out one potential issue. If you can't find the file you c follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the cheat code section of the wiki.
    ---

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast