1. As has been discussed elsewhere, it would be handy with a nowear cheat code, using ramdisk as an extra writable layer for persistent store, with changes committed to disk only upon request/shutdown. I don't want to go into the rationale for this here, and alternative solutions - just point out that it could be useful in a number of actual use situations.

2. After remastering, all programs can go into the compressed KNOPPIX image, and persistent store is used for configuration and basic user data. What about, for example, RAW photo files, one CF or SD card often being bigger than the 4GB persistent store? To standardize setup as much as possible, I use one big partition, mounted on the traditional Unix directory /store, for virtually everything not going into knoppix-data.img. And I routinely create that directory, and mount the actual partition (varying from pc to pc) on it after system startup. Now, if I could give a cheatcode store, something like store=/dev/sda7, at the command prompt, this could be done by the system. This is analogous to the fromhd= and home= cheatcodes.

3. We can always have a separate storage directory /store, but we may not always be able to set aside a separate partition for it. For example, using a Windows PC with one big NTFS partition on it, it may not always be worthwhile or even possible to create a separate partition. Then we may repeat the persistent store trick, create one big file on the native system, set it up with a Unix file system and loop-mount it. In that case, we need a third cheatcode, storefile. Like in storefile=store-data.img.

In the single-partition case with a poor man's install, the partition with the store-image file is already mounted on /mnt-system. In this case, store is left out. In the case where both store and storefile are used, the disk partition with the image file is mounted on /storepart, and the image file is mounted on /store. This can be useful or necessary if several /store versions are in use, or the big partition is basically in use for something else (think, for example, video editing).

I have experimented with larger standard persistent store than 4GB, and it may come in handy sometimes. I tend, however, to return to Knoppix basics, and rather make more use of /store. It is also very easy to back up or copy systems. I just mount a corresponding harddisk in an external cabinet, and backup /store. (Or, rather, subdirectories - swap space, for example should be left alone.)

Any comments, more suggestions?