Thread: My RAID array disappeared . . . why????

Junior Member registered user

My RAID array disappeared . . . why????

ver: Knoppix 6.2.2 CD
    issue: softRAID array (dmraid) not showing up any more
    hardware: ASRock 770 Extreme3 motherboard

I shut down my machine last night without explicitly unmounting one of my RAID partitions. I did a sync before shutdown, but not a umount. I just forgot. Anyway, I thought the automatic unmount done by Knoppix as it shut down would be fine.

Now, when I boot, the RAID doesn't show up at all. I can see a /media/sda, /media/sda1, /media/sda2, /media/sdb, /media/sdb1/, and /media/sdb2. But nothing is visible in /mnt/ (where mount points are usually created), and ESPECIALLY there is no /mnt/psomething1/ or /mnt/psomething2/, which are what the two RAIDed partitions are mounted at.

How can I get my data partitions to show up again?

FWIW, there are two partitions, one NTFS and one EXT3.

Junior Member registered user
    Ok, this is mildly insane. I plugged in a USB flash drive, and suddenly the mount points for the RAID partitions show up in /mnt (along with the new mount point for the flash drive), and the data looks available.

How do I verify that the partitions aren't corrupted? Likewise the softRAID metadata?

BTW, this is a RAID 1 mirror, two drives.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameWeasel View Post
    Anyway, I thought the automatic unmount done by Knoppix as it shut down would be fine.
    I would consider that extremely optimistic. IMO, the safest way with special file systems is to execute suitable shutdown scripts. If you haven't already done it, I would also check out what Debian packages for RAID there may be, and install them.

If you find something lacking, I think this may be a good subject for a new post to the knoppix-devel mailing list, but the more you can find out yourself first, the better.
    Good luck

Go to the disk manager and see its status.
    If you recreate the array may have deleted the format, so you have to do a Windows format on it. Not shown in My Computer until it has a recognizable format it (FAT, NTFS, etc)