Hiya.

Knoppix 6.4.4, installed and running on 8GB flash stick, in Compaq Presario CQ60-215dx laptop. Persistent install, files saved remain on reboot. I boot up, I have no wireless, and my screen starts to flicker horribly after a few minutes.

I found driver file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22-pkg1.run driver file for my video card, GeForce 8200M.

I tried to install the driver by "sh [driver name]" under the Terminal, I get "ERROR: nvidia-installer must be run as root".

So I hit CTRL-ALT-F1, and I get to root. I find the file, and input "sudo sh [driver name], and get "ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. blah blah blah page that doesn't exist blah..."

Please, can someone tell me, in detail, how to install a driver in Knoppix? Because after spending 6 hours trying to get the right configuration to get the damn thing to boot (burn to CD, then install to flash... because just installing to flash is too difficult), I am officially tired of this crap. No commands like "kill kdm" or "/etc/init.d/kdm stop" seem to work, and I can't find a single helpful forum post anywhere in existence.

I need to get the graphics driver updated, and the wireless networking working--that's it. Help??