Thread: adobe flash for iceweasel(knoppix 6.2 dvd)

Member registered user

Question adobe flash for iceweasel(knoppix 6.2 dvd)

Hello all. I installed knoppix 6.2(DVD) onto a hard drive. I do the fromhd=/dev/sdb5 and
    it works great. The system uses /mnt-system now. Much faster than using just the DVD.

I would love to get adobe flash installed onto the hard drive(all it has is knoppix) for the
    distro. I tried the apt from the net, but no mas. I got the tar ball from adobe, but am unsure
    where to install it(for ice weasel).

Another wierd thing was I don't have adminstrative priveleges to everything. Why the heck
    not?

Also, with 5.2 I was able to find my windows printer on a another pc. CUPS seems to be a hassle now. And I had a config file and could setup my own swap file. I thought newer versions were supposed to be better? At least wireless is no longer a hassle. Done with my rants ...

Regarding Flash, the simplest way to get it running is to download and extract the tar.gz from the Adobe website, go to ~/.mozilla, create a folder named plugins and move libflashplayer.so to that folder. Restart Iceweasel and Flash should be working.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by fenzda View Post
    Hello all. I installed knoppix 6.2(DVD) onto a hard drive.
    Another wierd thing was I don't have adminstrative priveleges to everything. Why the heck
    not?

Also, with 5.2 I was able to find my windows printer on a another pc. CUPS seems to be a hassle now. And I had a config file and could setup my own swap file. I thought newer versions were supposed to be better? At least wireless is no longer a hassle. Done with my rants ...
    I suggest you upgrade to 6.4.4 or 6.7.0, as printer setup. among other things has got a makeover to make things simpler for the end user. It worked for me, full functionality, in 6.2.1 too, but much harder to use.

If you can't get superuser privileges with su/sudo, something is very wrong with your copy. Swapfile use has always worked perfectly for me as superuser.

Beware that quite a few problems have surfaced and then gone away again through the various releases, most of them Linux/X/Debian-related, not Knoppix-specific. Knoppix now is very close to standard Debian, package-wise.

Member registered user

6.7 is out? In English I hope. Thanks guys for all your help. I will start with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I suggest you upgrade to 6.4.4 or 6.7.0, as printer setup. among other things has got a makeover to make things simpler for the end user. It worked for me, full functionality, in 6.2.1 too, but much harder to use.

If you can't get superuser privileges with su/sudo, something is very wrong with your copy. Swapfile use has always worked perfectly for me as superuser.

Beware that quite a few problems have surfaced and then gone away again through the various releases, most of them Linux/X/Debian-related, not Knoppix-specific. Knoppix now is very close to standard Debian, package-wise.
    6.7 is out? In English I hope. Thanks guys for all your help. I will start with that!

Member registered user
    6.7 turned out to be a big disappointment. Why can't I move a window??? Chrome still doesn't have
    flash?? I know as a linux user, I have to do things manually, but this is too much. I may switch to
    Ubuntu or Fedora.

I will say it is faster.

The default effects are really annoying.

6.7 turned out to be a big disappointment. Why can't I move a window??? Chrome still doesn't have
    flash?? I know as a linux user, I have to do things manually, but this is too much. I may switch to
    Ubuntu or Fedora.

I will say it is faster.

Greetings fenzda.

You seem to have several problems. We can probably help.
    I've got Chromium working with flash, but it may be because I've also got IceWeasel working as well.
    With IceWeasel you need to install 'flash plug-in non-free' with syaptic or apt. You might try that.
    There's also a little icon in Chromium's address line; if it has a red 'x' in it, then click it to see what it tells you.

If the default effects are the Compiz effects, I can sympathize with you. It was even worse in 6.4.
    You can make these go away and speed up your browser by adding 'no3d' to your syslinux.cfg default line.

Lots of luck with Fedora and/or Ubuntu. You'll need it.

Glad to explain any of the above you don't understand.

Cheers
    Last edited by utu; 08-10-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Ubuntu or Fedora.

I will say it is faster.

1. If you can't move windows, there's surely something wrong on the hardware side. Wrong burning for example, or very special driver problems. What makes you believe this is the distro's fault?
    2. Starting Knoppix with cheat code no3d will keep Compiz out of the way. No special effects.
    3. With Compiz enabled, it's fairly easy to make behavoir less fancy, CompizConfig settings manager on the preferences menu. You looked for and tried that, didn't you?
    4. It should be rather easy to get Flash working, but you need to have persistent store in use to keep system changes. There are several alternatives for flashplayer packages now.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    1. If you can't move windows, there's surely something wrong on the hardware side. Wrong burning for example, or very special driver problems. What makes you believe this is the distro's fault?
    2. Starting Knoppix with cheat code no3d will keep Compiz out of the way. No special effects.
    3. With Compiz enabled, it's fairly easy to make behavoir less fancy, CompizConfig settings manager on the preferences menu. You looked for and tried that, didn't you?
    4. It should be rather easy to get Flash working, but you need to have persistent store in use to keep system changes. There are several alternatives for flashplayer packages now.
    OK here's what I did - I booted from the 6.7 dvd to check it out. When I got in the windows didn't move unless I used the Alt key. I did like the general look of it(but was annoyed with Compiz). I did try to go to the Preferences, but couldn't exactly find how to remove it. Gave up. The cheatcode sounds like a good way for now.

I have an empy terabyte disk, so I copied everything from the dvd to the hd - just a copy/paste in windows(does that matter). Booted with: knoppix fromhd=/dev/sdb5. I got in and the windows moved! mnt-system was knoppix. It was not in its own partition, just plain
    old data. Seemed to work. Then next time I tried to get in nothing worked and it said I was out
    of disk space. My bookmarks were saved and I found the router. I have a 200M swap. Increase it? I got lots of space.

General question: do the directories /etc /proc/ and other reside on the hard drive at this time(so I can add directories for flash). I see softlinks to UNIONFS. I ass-u-me that means the
    hard drive I used

I couldn't find syslinux.cfg, so would I have to make it? There is an isolunix.cfg. Is that the same?

I am going to stick with Knoppix. I gotta get flash. Linux mint 11 had it no problem(another
    Debian). apt didn't seem to work either.

Preciate all the help guys. We linux people are nothing if not persistent.

I take this as rather strong indications of some kind of hardware failure/glitches. Did you check the md5sum on the download ISO, and did you burn with verification? Furthermore, are you quite sure everything works well with the file systems you run from? Occasionally, there may be small errors (reading, giving wrong initializations), but nothing as grave as you seem to experience. The safest way for me is to run from DVD, install on a flashdrive, run from that, and manually copy the whole KNOPPIX structure (including knoppix-data.img) to a harddisk partition. Booting from the flashdrive next time, Knoppix will usually find that harddisk copy first, and run that. Works safely and robustly for me. A fast (20MB/s r/w) 8GB flash drive is an almost ideal tool for normal use. You are right wrt isolinux. Directory name has changed in 6.7.0. Just leave that as it is

1.WRITE THE KNOPPIX CD ROM 6.4 TO THE USB FLASH MEM STICK AND CREATE AT BOOT-TIME A 400 MB USER DATA IMAGE FILE( FOR 512 MB RAM PHISIC).
    2.OPEN THEN SYNAPTIC P.M. AND DO A REFRESH
    3.GO TO "WORLD WIDE WEB (CONTRIBUTE)" IN LEFT PANEL AND SELECT " FLASHPLUGIN-NONFREE" PACKAGE FOR INSTALL(CONNECT TO THE INETRNET FIRST).
    4.IF YOU GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE REDO THE 1st STEP AGAIN
    5.IF ALL IS OK ,OPEN THEN BROWSER "eg:ICEWEASEL" AND DEBLOCK ALL SCRIPTS AND VERIFY IF EXIST AN OPTION WITCH BLOCK FLASH PLUGIN'S
    6.RESTART DE BROWSER AND THEN VERIFY IF MOVIES AND FLASH SWF OPENS

ALEX TRUFIN
    ROMANIA