Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Knoppix V6.7.0

Moderator Moderator
    ntfs-3g-ng IS on my 6.7 cd, but not on my LiveUSB.
    I probably would not have gone to apt for ntfs-3g if -ng showed up in Synaptic.
    ...you made me curious. Therefore I did a Flash disk Installation of Knoppix CD6.7.0 "without" persistent memory, startet it and Synaptic shows me "ntfs-3g-ng" as installed.

Senior Member registered user
    Have you done an update for either Synaptic or apt?

I haven't got the ntfs-3g sorted out yet, but things go better here with than without ntfs-3g.
    I think things go wrong in compressing the image and maybe also in using the sparse-file properties without it.
    A 'fuse' property of the kernel may be a pre-requisite for all this, and I don't know if that is now
    a property of our current kernel or not. Nothing simple here.

It really might be simpler to script all my changes as Werner does than solve all this remastering jazz.
    If the remastering capability were a built-in, I have a few uses for it, but nothing huge, anyway.

I cannot figure how to quiet the 'compress isofs' phase, without crashing the process.
    Any help there would be appreciated.

Moderator Moderator
    Have you done an update for either Synaptic or apt?
    ... of course no; why shall I do it? And Synaptic don't show me newer versions of apt or synaptic.

@ Werner

I must apologize. I have not chosen my words very well.
    i meant to say that perhaps the difference between my LiveCD and my LiveUSB
    in regard to ntfs-3g-ng MAY be explained by the fact that before I use Synaptic
    on the LiveUSB, my first order of business is to RELOAD. Not UPDATE, of course.

That's just a guess. I don't really care now, since I think ntfs-3g is the right answer.

I have established another thread concerning re-mastering, I hope you will join me there.

Best Regards, utu

The implication :-

1) If one puts his persistent store on NTFS, then he is using ntfs-3g inside minirt.gz ( 2007 binary ).
    2) If one uses NTFS storage after he is booted, then he is using ntfs-3g inside ntfs-3g-ng package ( 2009 binary ).
    3) If one install ntfs-3g ( which deletes ntfs-3g-ng ), then he is using 2011 binary.

Take your pick,

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I am embarrased to admit that I've got Chromium working with flash, after all.
    Not being familiar with its symbology, I missed the clue that 'some plug-ins are blocked'.
    Look for a little icon with a red 'x' in the address bar at the top.

Even so, I prefer Firefox-5 1st, IceWeasel-3.6 2nd and Chromium 3rd.

My bad. I don't know why the default is to block the built-in capability.
    utu:

I read your post with interest because I would like to get flash working with Chromium on my Knoppix 6.7 as well. I am new to Linux.

Had no problem with the red x "unblocking" and after being led to a number of adobe sites, downloading flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz and extracting it (libflashplayer.so) in the download folder, following some instructions I found about going to "aboutlugins" and enabling chrome Nacl and Default Plugin - version 1 (IceTea v. 1.8.7 was already enabled). For good measure I went to the Contents settings and set Javascript to allow all sites, and Plugins to run automatically. I even added CNBC.com to the exceptions in both Javascript and Plugins, so I though I was all set.

But when I go to view one of the videos on a CNBC.com site, instead of getting a playing video, I'm told I need to install flash player. I can only think that I haven't installed the extracted flash linux.tar.gz file into the proper place.

Do I have to close chromium and/or reboot? I haven't done this yet because I don't want to loose all my bookmarks and preferences. Can you help me? (I also downloaded Firefox and have same problem with installing flash into it, although I could install Download YouTube Videos + 3.3.51.)

If I can get flash working on both browsers, I'd like to try and set up my chromium browser to keep all my setting (preferences and bookmarks) intact, so that when I boot up I don't loose everything. In reading through the postings that follow your message, I understand that this can be accomplished with Knoppix using "overlayering" (on the thumb drive I have Knoppix installed), but this sounds a bit complicated. Is it?

Thanks for any input.

John

@ jm1944

Greetings, John & welcome to the forum.
    You have two main questions as I see it.
    1. Getting flash going; and
    2. 'Overlayering'

Let's tackle flash first. That's the easiest.
    I think the best way to do that is to use Synaptic.
    Synaptic is a menu item on you main menu.
    First time you use it, do 'reload' to update the cache.
    Then search for Flash. You should get an answer for flashplugin-nonfree.
    Install this and you should be set for both Chromium and IceWeasel;
    anyway, I was.

I use 'Silent Monks' on YouTube to test my flash & sound.
    First hit on Google.

Get that under your belt first, then come back and lets talk
    about overlayering. It's not really complicated.

@ jm1944

Greetings, again John.

When you last booted, were you given a choice on setting up a persistent store?
    Did you answer that question, or did it just whiz by?

If this makes no sense, just say so, and we'll start from there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789