Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a custom ISO of Knoppix 6.7

Question How to make a custom ISO of Knoppix 6.7

I have install Knoppix 6.7 in my Laptop, and install some extra packages. Now I want to make it a iso to install it in other pc's and live boot with those packages that I have installed. In Ubuntu I can do it easily by remastersys. But here nothing found.

I have install knoppix 6.7 in my HDD, and install some other software. Now I wamt to make it a iso to distribute it to other. How can I make it?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ashickur.noor View Post
    I have install Knoppix 6.7 in my Laptop, and install some extra packages. Now I want to make it a iso to install it in other pc's and live boot with those packages that I have installed. In Ubuntu I can do it easily by remastersys. But here nothing found.

I have install knoppix 6.7 in my HDD, and install some other software. Now I wamt to make it a iso to distribute it to other. How can I make it?
    If all you want is to make some modifications and move them around, why do you want to go all the way to an ISO? Could there be easier alternatives?
    I'd like you to answer that, and take things from there. You can find quite a lot of material on these issues on the forums here.

I think ISO is the best choice for me. Is there any way to make it. Can any body give me some link of these topics.

Can any body help me. I am trying to make a customize iso of knoppix 6.7 from my HDD install knoppix, but nothing found suitable in the forum. Please help me.

Moderator Moderator
    ... if you have a lot of time try Debian Remastersys.

The well tested way to remaster Knoppix is described in Remaster HowTo (without chapter 3!); alternative you can use my scripts. Be aware, to remaster Knoppix DVD you need a free partition of at least 25GB size or a virtual drive of 25GB within VirtualBox.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.7.0 remaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... if you have a lot of time try Debian Remastersys.

The well tested way to remaster Knoppix is described in Remaster HowTo (without chapter 3!); alternative you can use my scripts. Be aware, to remaster Knoppix DVD you need a free partition of at least 25GB size or a virtual drive of 25GB within VirtualBox.

Thanks for your reply. Are you confirm that Debain Remastersys will work here? Remaster HowTo is for Remastering from live CD, not for from installed knoppix in HDD. I have such partition free space of 50 GB but the partition is not complete empty and I can not move those data. So can I use your script?

Moderator Moderator
    No, I never tried Debian Remastersys and I can not say, if it will do the job. But you told us, you have experience with Ubuntu Remastersys; therefore you will be able to solve all troubles which may occur with Debian Remastersys.

With my scripts you need

1. a Knoppix HD Installation (you allready have)
    2. a decompresses filesystem image at '/opt/knx/remaster' (will be done by the scripts)
    3. all the bootloader stuff at '/opt/knx/' (will be done by the scripts)
    4. repeat installation and purge of all programs and tools within the chroot jail, as you did within your HD Installation (it's your job)
    5. build the new ISO (will be done by the scripts)

Moderator Moderator
    ... in the meantime I thought about your question once more. And I found
    4. repeat installation and purge of all programs and tools within the chroot jail, as you did within your HD Installation (it's your job)
    isn't necessary and we can jump over
    2. a decompresses filesystem image at '/opt/knx/remaster' (will be done by the scripts)
    We have to rsync most of the HD Installation to '/opt/knx/remaster' and this is the easiest way to obtain the remastered version of Knoppix

In the next days I'll test, which directories we have to exclude in the rsync process (at least '/opt/knx', '/proc', '/mnt', '/media' and so on) and I'll offer a new version of my scripts (also the recombine scripts).

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... in the meantime I thought about your question once more. And I foundisn't necessary and we can jump over We have to rsync most of the HD Installation to '/opt/knx/remaster' and this is the easiest way to obtain the remastered version of Knoppix
    Not only going into a jail isn't necessary, at the same time, there is some "proposal" that rsync-ing things into /opt/knx/remaster is also unnecessary. Why ? Because 'genisoimage' itself can include directories and exclude directories as well - so why not just identify the includes and excludes and pass them straight into 'genisoimage' ? Well, since no one in this forum has yet to provide a complete code, this idea remains as a proposal.

Moderator Moderator
    Thank you for this hint. But I prefer to handle includes/excludes by rsync; it is more versatile, than to do it within genisoimage. The commandline of genisoimage doesn't become so confusing. And last but not least I obtain the ability to do little changes with chroot '/opt/knx/remaster'.

Greetings Werner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast