Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 6.7 desktop doesn't load, ATI HD4670 Video Card

Knoppix 6.7 desktop doesn't load, ATI HD4670 Video Card

When I try to boot the live DVD, all I get is the RGB + Black/Grey/White "test patterns" flashing and I can't do anything else other than reset the computer. Suggestions?

Btw, I'm pretty much a Knoppix noob (although I have been using other Linux distros for a while). I basically try it out when a new one is released and use it occasionally to help with computer problems.

Senior Member registered user
    @ mactroneng

If you've not had this problem before on the same computer,
    then maybe you've got a bad burn. Do your checksums before & after.
    If it's a new machine, tell us what's different.

Roger, checking...

Checked the DVD image and DVD, both check out (and I burned it again to be safe). Tried it out in my friend's laptop that has the mobile version of the 4650 and it worked fine, but my desktop computer won't work with the 4670.

I'm also unable to boot LiveDVD 6.7 on a desktop that had no problem with 6.4.4. It also has an ATI video adaper, an X1550 IRRC.

It displays one page of text at boot up, ending in:

...bad EIP value
    [1.756578 Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!] (apparently a bit more than that is actually needed...)

or, alternatively, booting with the debug parameter:

[1.741661] Code : Bad EIP value
    [1.741661] EIP [<00000002>] 70x2 SS:ESP 0068
    [1.741588] BUG: unable to handle kernel page request f5c5bd8c]

I also checked the md5sum of the iso and the burned DVD. Moreover, the DVD boots fine in my laptop, although I'm not impressed witht he way it's been "fixed" even there:

1. I boot the 6.7 DVD with the 6.4.4 flash-install drive attached and try to install 6.7 over the 6.4.4 install, Knoppix refuses, saying "sdb1 is already mounted" . Are we supposed to reinstall every app anew every time we get a new Knoppix version?

2. when I try to configure and save the Knoppix firewall, it gives the same brain-dead message as in the last version - must create a persistent file. OK, what is that damn thing that 6.7 won't reinstall to? It's shown as USB-Flash in the Knoppix menu.

3. when I tried to use clam-AV, the only antivirus I could find for Knoppix, it strangely told me I had last done a scan on August 21(!) but had no virus signature file - how did Imanage that? Best of all, when I tried to connect to download a signature file, it repeatedly told me it "cannot connect" (it wasn't a connection problem at my end, as Chrome went everywhere else I directed it).

So I'm wondering what the benefits of this version are that would compensate for my inability to use it on my main desktop? Does it support USB3.0 for instance? Does it allow you to create a persistent save file on something other than a USB-flash installation (ie. any removable media, as in the past?).

It seems to me Linux is steadily falling further behind both Windows and Mac. Maybe the coders should pay a little attention to making sure it runs and a little less on trivial eye candy.

1. I boot the 6.7 DVD with the 6.4.4 flash-install drive attached and try to install 6.7 over the 6.4.4 install, Knoppix refuses, saying "sdb1 is already mounted" . Are we supposed to reinstall every app anew every time we get a new Knoppix version?
    Update:

After posting the above, I again booted off the 6.7 DVD and with the installed USB-flash version of 6.4 DVD attached. As before, I found that the persistent Knoppix file of the flash drive was inaccessible to the running version of 6.7, although the drive mounted. The three programs I had previously installed to 6.4 on USB-flash (UFRAW, RAWSTUDIO, and Clam-AV) didn't appear in the programs menu as they do when booting 6.4 USB-Flash.

I then decided to try to the "install to USB-flash" option again. This time, I was given two options, either format the disk or install to the available space. I chose the latter, and Knoppix laboured for several minutes, copying (as I established later) some 500MB of files to the Knoppix folder on the USB flash drive.

However, when I rebooted, it was still Knoppix 6.4 that loaded, and no other option was offered. So I had only succeeded in wasting my time and 500MB of storage space.

What is the justification of having such a useless installation option?

the same on ATI HD3650

I have the same effect (blinking stripes) while booting on laptop with ATI Radeon HD 3650.

644 and even 621 worked without problems.

I'm having the same problem with Knoppix 6.7.0, apparently. The adapter is a Radeon HD 3450 (as witnessed by the boot loader). As it tries to start X, all you get to see is weird random stripes.

Hi everybody,

i had the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite P300 D-21M with the adapter ATI Radeon HD 3650. Try the cheatcode KNOPPIX NODRM on the prompt boot:
    For me it is a turnaround, thoug i try Knoppix to rescue some data from a crashes installation.
    Later on booting you have to press CTRL+ALT+F5 and wait about one minute, then the screen is there. good luck.
    a101755

Toshiba A15 laptop crashes on the fancy graphic gizzy in 6.6 - weird messages on screen, cannot get to the desktop. 4.4 loaded just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast