Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install Firefox with USB created from Knoppix 6.7 CD

I'm not going to over think this, I'm just going the do each of klaus2008 (the champ)'s commands and check for a keepnote menu choice after each command.

root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo dpkg -i /home/knoppix/Downloads/keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb
    (Reading database ... 73447 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace keepnote 0.7.6-1 (using .../keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement keepnote ...
    Setting up keepnote (0.7.6-1) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for python-central ...
    root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#

Looks good to me and the keepnote menu choice is there. Some of the previous commands must have helped. - - how exciting ! Definitely owe klaus2008 and uti at least a beer !!!!!

OK - next - running KeepNote and creating a notebook. Wonder where I should put it. I had a notion of maybe putting all the data files in under one data file. I see that there is a KNOPPIX-DATA folder ..... wonder if that is a
    good place ....

Wonder what best practice is? I see a KNOPPIX-DATA / home / knoppix
    ... I think for now and this is probably wrong, I'm just going to create a directory under the top knoppix called Data and under that called keepnote. Perhaps I can find the Data folder for applications and also have SpiderOak backup the entire Data folder other and maybe sync with my other PCs and operating systems. Wonder what others do?

Anyway - KeepNote is running under Knoppix - many thanks !!!!!!!

Will be interesting to see when I reinstall, if I can duplicate. I think I'll start with your last set of instructions.

Smile

I don't know how to mark this thread as solved and that might be too strong a label, but we succeeded. Thanks.

Sorry - got the treads mixed up - keepnote succeeded - I'll work on iceweasel next.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-06-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Well, I'm back. I ordered the knoppix 6.7.1 DVD and have installed it to a USB.

Have KeepNote running

Have SpiderOak running (sort of)

Iceweasel 6.0.2 and IceDove 3.1.13 do come up I'm wondering how these compare with the 8.0 versions I'm running with FireFox and Thunderbird on Windows XP, Windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10 ?

Don't mean to be a spoil sport and not a team player, but is it hard to run the current and real versions of Firefox and Thunderbird with knoppix? I'd like to run the Lightning calendar, which I think requires the latest 8.0 versions (not sure).

When I bring up the addons windown with icedov - I'm not sure where to see the install addons from a file lilnk.

When I bring up the addons window from iceweasel I get loading... that does not go away. Seemed like this worked earlier, maybe a mozilla server issue.

Trying

aptitude update

Looks like command running .... and running ....

aptitude install firefox

yields:
    No candidate version found for firefox

Worth a try.

Installing Firefox and Thunderbird

I created a directory named Apps and downloaded the .tar files for Firefox 9.0.1 and Thunderbird 9.0.1 from the Mozilla site. Navigated to the .tar file with File Manager, right clicked and extracted the files to the directories that they created. Navigated to the Firefox and Thunderbird files and can launch with either double click or right click and open. Noticed that Flash is not installed. Did the following commands from the root terminal window. Didn't use sudo, but they seemed to run, but still no flash even after closing and opening FireFox... will try rebooting. apt-get update apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Have Flash

I'm not sure if the rebooting was necessary or if I had to allow scripts to run (noscripts).

Now I'm not sure if the install Flash was necessary or if the noscripts was the issue.

Not saying noscripts is a bad thing, just that I'm going to have to figure it out.

Also the post before removed the blank likes between items - sorry about the readability, not sure if will be an issue here until I save.

*** blank lines retained after save
    = = = = = =

Next item - how to add Firefox and Thunderbird to the application start menu. I'll post the approach here if figure out and tips appreciated.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 12-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Might be harder to add a menu item than I thought - found this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...enu-under-LXDE

= = = = =
    Rather than install FF and TB with the .tar, should have I used the Software Center or Package Manager?

Moderator Moderator
    If you install Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla site, you have to create a symlink within '/usr/bin' to '(/wherever/extracted)/firefox/firefox' and '(/wherever/extracted)/thunderbird/thunderbird'.

To get LXDE-menu entries create within '/usr/share/applications' two new files "firefox.desktop" and "thunderbird.desktop"; have a look at "iceweasel.desktop" as an example, how to do it.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

Launching Firefox

With "file manager" I found KNOPPIX_FS/usr/bin There is a file called iceweasel which contains a script that is probably beyond me to duplicate and identify changes required for Firefox. With the information provided by Werner, I also found the /KNOPPIX/usr/share/applications/iceweasel - desktop configuration file.

I changed some of the iceweasel text to firefox in the configuration file, saved it and copied it to the desktop. I have a shortcut without an icon (have FF icon in FF directory - must have to copy it someplace) that launches iceweasel. I changed Exec=iceweasel %u to Exec=firefox %u ---- but there must be more to this.

Let's see - typing iceweasel in the terminal window brings up iceweasel. Typing firefox in the terminal window also brings up iceweasel. Maybe this is the symlink Werner was talking about? I'll keep researching.

= = = = =
    In "file manager" I also found "Applications" with subfolders Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Preferences, Programming, Sound & Video, System Tools and Universal Access. These categories match the menu choices. Within "Internet" are the shortcuts for Internet Tools such as IceWeasel.

I have the short cuts in a left file manager window and the Firefox folder on a right file manager window with the firefox program. In windows XP, I would drag and drop firefox and choice create shortcut. However, not sure how to do that with knoppix.

Moderator Moderator
    Please, use mc (MidnightCommander), not PCManFM; with mc you can see symlinks.

Copy your Firefox-download from Mozilla site to '/opt', select the compressed file within mc and extract it with "F2 => z"

Change your view from the other panel of mc to '/usr/bin'

Move (=rename) '/usr/bin/firefox' to '/usr/bin/firefox-old' within mc with "F6"

Select in the first panel of mc '/opt/firefox-9.0.1/firefox'; make a symlink (with mc => File => Symlink) to '/usr/bin/firefox'

To get the icons is a little more tricky.

Change view in one panelside of mc to '/opt/firefox../firefox/chrome/icons/default', in the other panelside to '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps'.

Select the entry 'default16.png'

Create a "Symbolic link filename:" '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16
    /apps/firefox.png'

Do it in the same manner with 'default32.png' an 'default48.png'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast