Thread: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD: Problem creating persistent memory flash drive

Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD: Problem creating persistent memory flash drive

Knoppix Version: KNOPPIX_V6.7.1DVD-2011-09-14-EN.iso

I burned the ISO to a DVD without issue. I booted the DVD on an HP Netbook [1035NR] and again, without a problem. The problem begins when I attempt to to create a LIVE USB. I want to be able to have a persistent memory space allocated in order to save settings between sessions but I'm not given any option to create the space when I burn KNOPPIX to the USB key.

Steps are as follows:

• Preferences > "Install KNOPPIX to flash dish"
    • Screen opens: "Please select desired target device:"
    • Select: "sdb: Generic Flash Disk"
    • Click on "OK"
    • It begins to burn KNOPPIX to the USB but I'm not given any opportunity to select an option for persistent memory space allocation

What did I do incorrectly or did I miss something else entirely?

Thanks!

I've been searching for more information about this and have found posts by others that this is something that is supposed to happen upon the first reboot with the USB key. They show a conversation screen option being present as follows.

Code:
    "No file for saving personal data has been created on this device yet. If you wish to do so now, 
    please enter desired size in MB (minimum 200, free ####). If you don't want to create a file for 
    saving right now, just leave the field empty."
    I never see this conversation upon rebooting my PC and I am unable to find any explanation as to how this conversation screen is initiated, if that is the case.

Moderator Moderator
    Are you sure you've removed the DVD before reboot?

Check the BIOS, how to boot from USB-stick; perhaps you have not the ability, to boot from USB. After boot from USB-stick Knoppix offers for about 7 seconds the option to establish persistent memory; if necessary reboot and try again.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Are you sure you've removed the DVD before reboot?

Check the BIOS, how to boot from USB-stick; perhaps you have not the ability, to boot from USB. After boot from USB-stick Knoppix offers for about 7 seconds the option to establish persistent memory; if necessary reboot and try again.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
    I'm quite familiar with both Linux and my own computers. I am only new to running from a USB key. The computer isn't booting from the DVD because the DVD player has been unplugged from the netbook.

So, when I boot via the USB key, I am presented with no screen offering the option to configure persistent memory and that is the reason that I ask if there is something that I'm supposed to do when booting. Is there a button I'm supposed to press? It is not happening automatically; hence the question. I've tried a couple different USB keys and even an MMC and none of them boot with the persistent memory option screen.

Moderator Moderator
    Please tell us the output from "df -h" after booting the USB stick. Perhaps there isn't free space enough to build persistent memory.

I no longer have Knoppix on the USB key nnor other MMC now. I got a larger MMC [32GB] and was finally presented with the persistent memory message. I was using 4GB USB devices before so your idea of not enough free space is probably the culprit. After getting it to run, I spent hours trying to get flash video to work in the browsers but all to no avail. I have adobe flash installed and java installed via Synaptic and still no-go. I am probably going to go with a different distro, just too many headaches it seems with getting this distro to smooth out. I'm not to up on the whole functionality of Debian in the first place. Thanks for your help.