Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KNOPPIX 6.7.1 on USB with very large persistent data image.

Exclamation KNOPPIX 6.7.1 on USB with very large persistent data image.

Hello to all you guys.
    If you don't like remaster and you want to increase the Knoppix-data.img (or .aes) size up to 4GB permitted by the FAT32 file system in your USB installation, here the explanation what I did until now. I use a micro size USB 16GB with inside a micro SDHC card produced by PNY.
    I first tried knoppix 6 months ago after my Win XP notebook crashed (M$ damn!), and during all this time I updated the program by installing the ones that I needed to get to the space limit allowed, and so here I am.

1) Run a Knoppix live DVD
    2) Install Knoppix on Fat32 formatted USB
    3) Restart Knoppix from newly created USB
    4) Create new persistent data image of 3840MB size
    5) Shutdown and run again a Knoppix live DVD
    6) Move the entire KNOPPIX folder from USB to a temp HDD directory
    7) Start GParted and choose USB Disk
    8) Reduce the FAT32 partition size at 1GB (or 512MB if you want)
    9) Create second partition with unallocated space formatted in NTFS (or even Ext2, Ext3, Ext4)
    10) Move now KNOPPIX folder stored in temp HDD to the second partition just created
    11) Resize Knoppix-data.aes (or .img).

Code for Knoppis-data.img
    * Change to the directory with that persistent image
    * Open a root terminal
    PHP Code:
    e2fsck -fy knoppix-data.img #Check the ext2 filesystem and allow corrections
    dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=3328 >> knoppix-data.img #Add 3328MB to the container (total 7GB store image)
    resize2fs knoppix-data.img #Resize the filesystem
    e2fsck -fy knoppix-data.img #Check again 
    * Close terminal
    * Shutdown the system and boot (and using the cheat Knoppix FROMHD=/dev/sdxy where x= a,b,c,.. and y= 1,2,3,.. if you have more one Knoppix installation)

Code for Knoppis-data.aes
    * Change to the directory with that persistent image
    * Open a root terminal
    PHP Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=3328 >> knoppix-data.aes    #Add 3328MB to the container (total 7GB store image)
    * echo yourpassword losetup -e aes -p 0 /dev/loop6 knoppix-data.aes    #yourpassword is the password knoppix ask you at the boot to open the persistent data image aes encrypted
    e2fsck -fy /dev/loop6     #Check the filesystem and allow corrections
    resize2fs /dev/loop6 #Resize the filesystem
    e2fsck -fy /dev/loop6     #Check again    
    losetup -/dev/loop6 #destroy the loop device association 
    * Close terminal
    * Shutdown the system and boot

At boot you can use the cheat Knoppix FROMHD=/dev/sdxy where x= a,b,c,.. and y= 1,2,3,.. if you have more one Knoppix installation like me
    And naturally you can change the MB to add at your persistent image what you want (1GB=1024MB)
    Note that the more the file is large and takes longer to load, but the few seconds of waiting are acceptable for me...

Thanks to these threads at first:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...ghlight=resize
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...nt-disk-images
    and many many many others i've read.
    Bye

Senior Member registered user
    Nice!
    A quick comment: At the first running from the DVD, you might also open a terminal and run fdisk on the USB stick, deleting all partitions on it and then recreating one of, say 1GB, make it FAT32. Flash-installing from DVD to this partition will eventually crash with "No space left on device", but booting stuff and kernels will be in place before that. Next, you can create a second partition with fdisk, and it should be possible to just copy KNOPPIX to the new place, from /mnt-system/KNOPPIX. After copying, you can create KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img as big as you like, and the medium permits, loop-mount and setup an ext2 file system on it. Which will then be used when you boot up the stick and use the fromhd cheatcode.

Thanks , it's a good "quick comment".....to sure to save time of resizing partitions

I think also is useful to format the usb stick as reiserfs and copying knoppix files there, and make it bootable manually with grub.. at this point with reiserfs you can create the persistent file even larger..

This link have more info
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads...-with-ReiserFS

I think also is useful to format the usb stick as reiserfs and copying knoppix files there, and make it bootable manually with grub.. at this point with reiserfs you can create the persistent file even larger..

My first thread have more info about how to do that

Quote Originally Posted by fmateo View Post

My first thread have more info about how to do that
    I wonder what you mean by "create .. even larger"? The main reason Klaus K has given for why reiserfs is used, has to do with file system checking/repair, are there more? For large persistent stores, the default, ext2, is not optimal, so, for example, ext4 may be better. But that is on the store, not on the underlying file system. Which very often is ext3 or ext4, and I wonder if there are little known reasons to go reiserfs?

As for grub, I tend to follow the old advice and create a small boot partition and install it there. Where ext2 is a rather natural choice for me - this partition is seldom written to, only at booting data updates.

Furthermore, my experience is that persistent stores above, say, 8 GB are often not optimal. So personally, I have returned to the 4 GB limit, often going somewhat lower, and remastering as needed. With e.g. NTFS, it may be a "Linux solution" to create a large loopfile with a Unix file system on it, but I prefer rather to shrink NTFS and create pure Unix partitions whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    The main reason Klaus K has given for why reiserfs is used, has to do with file system checking/repair, are there more?
    This bothers me as well. I thought it was the case that reiserfs checking
    had the reputation of being deficient, relative to, say, ext3.

If so, the reiserfs filesize limits are similar to ext3; both are in the Tb range.
    And, since both reiserfs and ext3 are journalled, what is the justification for reiserfs?

After all, a big negative is reiserfs's questionable (if not definitively dismal future) development support state.
    Last edited by utu; 01-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

As long as reiserfs is maintained and runs well, I wouldn't be too much concerned about its future development. I mean, the ext2 system I install grub on is very similar to the ext2 i used back in 1994, I've got the impression not that much has happened in the way of development, but I may be wrong.

I stilll keep looking for the compelling reasons to use reiserfs, though. And I think it may be very little, making fs choice a big issue for everyday use is not very productive in my view.

I tried several alternatives:
    1) Standard Live USB installation (FAT32 formatted ) with max 4GB persistent store
    2) Live USB with two partition: first FAT32 for syslinux boot, second NTFS (or what you like) with 7GB persistent store
    3) HDD installation with 1GB swap and 59GB RaiserFS filesystem (using 0wn standard installation)

at the end my comments are:
    1) best choice from every point of view. Knoppix is a good live distro as it is
    2) non-optimal: is slightly slower in boot or loading applications...
    but if you need extra persistent store to update or installing more preferred applications without remastering is an acceptable compromise
    3) I strongly advise against: if a crash happens, or is a power failure, or an incorrect update package, the file system will be damaged, or there will be a kernel panic, or grub2 will not boot, and so on up to having to reinstall everything from scratch
    (the third time that I've such a problem I gave up trying to fix it)

I will wait a new release of knoppix to have new experiences....he he he he

....my opinion

I forgot to say good night.
    Bye guys
    Last edited by Blacksimon; 01-17-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast