Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6.7.1 Remastering

Moderator Moderator
    You've build a Boot-CD.

I install Knoppix to HD using the DVD 6.7.1. The dvd has many more of the things I need than the cd. I installed kn-script from ( http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html) Then used Remaster Knoppix to build ISO. I think the script is wrote for cd maybe only. Woudl the script need to be modified to build ISO for DVD? I assumed it wouldnt.

Quote Originally Posted by itman007 View Post
    I install Knoppix to HD using the DVD 6.7.1. The dvd has many more of the things I need than the cd. I installed kn-script from ( http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html) Then used Remaster Knoppix to build ISO. I think the script is wrote for cd maybe only. Woudl the script need to be modified to build ISO for DVD? I assumed it wouldnt.
    I think the issue here is within the script just as it was within the steps for the chroot method. I feel the /mnt/sda? may be pointing to an improper location? I wouldnt think the script would care if its dvd or cd but would build an iso for the syncd hd files no matter what. Im only needing the "big knoppix file" after the compiled to place on my pxe server anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by itman007 View Post
    I think the issue here is within the script just as it was within the steps for the chroot method. I feel the /mnt/sda? may be pointing to an improper location? I wouldnt think the script would care if its dvd or cd but would build an iso for the syncd hd files no matter what. Im only needing the "big knoppix file" after the compiled to place on my pxe server anyway.
    Remaster has changes since the begining of this thread! Directions here http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto seem to apply to CD and DVD according to this statement "Find the partition you will use to work on and change the variable "PFAD" within the scripts as you need. In this example it is called /media/sda1. The partition should have a minimum of 5 GB free space for CD remaster and 20 GB for DVD remaster." To avoid working in chroot can this " http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/kn-script.html" be changed to use the DVD?

Please advise!

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, I revised the old "chroot method" this days and made it more comfortable. It works for Knoppix CD and DVD.

The method with kn-remaster I recomend only, if you want to create a special Rescue CD.

If you like to work with Knoppix DVD, make a flash disk installation (poor man installation) or a "poor man harddrive installation", each of these with persistent memory.
    Hard drive Installation

If after some time there is a lot of unneccesary stuff in your persistent memory, you can consider to use the method kn-recombine.

Moderator Moderator
    Then used Remaster Knoppix to build ISO. I think the script is wrote for cd maybe only. Woudl the script need to be modified to build ISO for DVD? I assumed it wouldnt.
    The script kn-remaster is designed to create your own CD. But you can use it without any modification also to remaster Knoppix DVD. If so create a virtual machine with 25 GB!

I have installed via DVD 6.7.1, via Prefrences-Knoppix HD Install. Ive made all the changes to that install that I need. Which is the proper method for this type install? Or must I use a different method of hd install to accomplish?
    I did find that if you use KnoppixHD Install, select whole disk and then let it auto configure /media/sda1 will not be correct per the script. I manually configured so that /media/sda1 would not be auto configured as the Linux swap.

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, if you have a HD installation via Prefrences-Knoppix HD Install and "autoconfigure", '/media /sda1' will be the swap partition and '/media/sda2' the Knoppix partition.

If you will use old "chroot method" pay attention to:
    Find the partition you will use to work on and change the variable "PFAD" within the scripts as you need. In this example it is called /media/sda1.
    Greetings Werner

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    The script kn-remaster is designed to create your own CD. But you can use it without any modification also to remaster Knoppix DVD. If so create a virtual machine with 25 GB!
    Per this step I assume this dir tree should be created and I should see.
    Used directory-tree
    /opt/knx/knoppix => all of the CD
    /opt/knx/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz => compressed Initial RAM-disk
    /opt/knx/bootcd => minimal ISO (only Initial RAM-disk)
    /opt/knx/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX => compressed filesystem Image
    /opt/knx/minirt_rd => decompressed Initial RAM-disk
    /opt/knx/iso => new remastered kn_knoppix_xyz.iso (or kn_bootcd_xyz.iso)
    /opt/knx/remaster => decompressed filesystem Image

What I do see! (see attachment)
    Again the iso created is 11.6Mgb (cd image) Why not a DVD image?
    I do not see where this is failing.
    Please advise.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moderator Moderator
    With your screenshot I cannot recognize anything.
    Please tell me (per email => at tho bottom of my page) the output from
    Code:
    df -h
    Code:
    free -m
    Code:
    ls -la /opt/knx/iso
    Did you get any error messages while creating ISO?

Greetings Werner

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast