Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 7.0 Same procedure as every year!

Senior Member registered user
    @ Gilles & others

Just made a liveusb from the Runtime 6.9.9 livecd.
    kernel is 3.3.2.

Desktop includes Iceweasel, GParted & Synaptic.
    wifi no better (or worse) than 6.7.1 in regard to Broadcom.
    Lots of disk examination & recovery modules, use space
    vacated by Office programs.

'Newness' is in the disk forensics and association with
    Runtime in a commercial venture.
    Knoppix 'newness' below my expectations for 7.0+ except for
    kernel.

My liveusb never asked to set persistent store parameters.
    That's a surprise. Will now do belated testcd on the cd.

Addendum to my post #51

testcd was ok.
    liveusb has persistence. Lots of it.
    Now I know why it took so long.
    Don't recall being asked how much to use.

Public release?

I agree that this is free software (free as in freedom) and is offered for download free as well(free as in free lunch).However, given the reputation which Knoppix has earned over several years as being a showpiece distro for anyone wanting to try out Linux and see what Linux can do.................it pains to learn about the delay in public availability of Knoppix 7.0(or 7.1 for that matter ,if that is being worked on).Please bring some accountability and transparency into this and let us know WHAT is the EXACT reason for the delay,no speculations please.

I have been using Knoppix since 2009 August, to be precise, right from version 6.0............the last update I did was 6.7.1 and that was 8 months ago...... In fact I use it so heavily that I have even installed the 6.7.1 DVD edition as a live system on my microSD-HC card and use that with a write-protected SD-card adapter to boot up any laptop having a card reader and demonstrate what using Knoppix is like.

The release notes say Firefox(Iceweasel) 10 is included in Knoppix 7.0..........lol....... Firefox 12 too is several days old now...........and as far as the Debian packages are concerned, Iceweasel 11 and 12 packages have already entered the experimental repo of Debian...........I hope that Knoppix 7.0 is released to the public by the time Iceweasel 12 reaches the testing repo.......and of course Firefox 13 would have already rolled out by then most probably as a native package..........its good actually.....browsers must update themselves frequently, the web is the future.

Member registered user
    Hi Jacksonon
    Yes perhaps when you have paid $1000 for your dvd of Knoppix and the maker is a multi-billionaire and the Knoppix Corporation has commited to produce one or two new releases each year then you would feel you had a right to complain if things were running late, but since as far as I know none of thsese things are the case, I think it is more respectful to wait until the person in charge thinks that the new release is ready.

Just imagine if the very capable person/people in charge of knoppix were to say - if people are so ungrateful for all our work we will just have a year off and rest on our laurels. Just imagine a world with no knoppix at all - what would we all do with our ageing and so very various hardware with nothing so reliable and so competent to run on it. I for one am happy and grateful to make use of the wonderful knoppix we have already and look forward to the ones we, hopefully, will enjoy in the future and say the biggest and loudest thank you possible to Klaus Knopper and his team for all they have done and are doing for our benefit.

Perhaps if you need the next week's firefox and thunderbird so urgently you should be thinking of aptosid or siduction rather than knoppix.

Best wishes [and a big glass of ice-cold patience to pass the time] John

Lol......I am sorry you did not get my point. I am not asking them to develop a new version altogether...............my only intention is to know that IF KNOPPIX 7.0 WAS RELEASED IN THE MAGAZINE DOZENS OF DAYS AGO THEN WHICH ISSUES ARE SO CRITICAL / TIME CONSUMING TO FIX THAT PUBLIC RELEASE HAS BEEN DELAYED?
    That's all.......what you say is applicable in case I was nagging by asking why they haven't released a completely newer version like e. g. Knoppix 7.2 (OR 8 for that matter) yet.Please note,had KNOPPIX 7 not been given in the magazine too,I wouldn't be worried(and the related browser version issue wouldn't be dragged into my post as well), because I trust them to be working with serious things. I know that things take time to fix. But keeping a gap of more than 2 months between an exclusive magazine release and an official public release doesn't appeal to me,especially when there is no reason given behind the delay that can explain WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON SINCE SO MANY WEEKS AFTER HAVING IT RELEASED WITH THE MAGAZINE.

HENCE, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS THE REASON. That's all. At least SOME LITTLE WORD should be given about exactly WHAT went wrong and what problems were detected in the magazine release of Knoppix. In the absence of this transparency into the development process, I am sure many enthusiasts like me are frustrated.
    Last edited by jacksonon; 05-28-2012 at 08:07 AM.

I had already acknowledged in my post that we get Knoppix for free. I am not being ungrateful....after the last public release of version 6.7.1 in September, I would be happy if the next version took one full year to develop and was released in September 2012 WITHOUT ANY INTERMEDIATE RELEASES IN THE MAGAZINE. Nowhere I claimed that I paid a huge sum for the media or that there is a dedicated professional team behind developing Knoppix. I feel specifically at a disadvantage because they have also talked about it at CeBIT, which someone will do only when they are sure about the product. I don't understand why a public release takes so many issues to fix in that case.

Expectations / hopes of performance , as they say, can only be kept / raised from those who have actually worked rightly so in the past, and Knoppix has. I am not asking Red Hat to again start distributing officially supported Linux distributions free of charge for the (non-enterprise) end-user after about a decade since RHL 9 Shrike.I am asking the team behind KNOPPIX to let me know what is the reason they are taking time. I have not seen such a delay between a magazine release and a public release at any point of time in the last 3 years that I have been using Knoppix.

Instead of the word `enthusiasts' in the previous post,I should probably say people who unfortunately are not customers of the magazine, because given this delay, I feel only they(the customers of the magazine) are targeted to benefit in a timely manner.

Oh.....and by the way I am allergic to ice.Lol.

Moderator Moderator
    Please bring some accountability and transparency into this and let us know WHAT is the EXACT reason for the delay,no speculations please.
    Why don't you ask Klaus Knopper by himself: knoppix@knopper.net.

Allways consider: Knoppix is a bootable Live system and it is as it is!

It is not a distribution like all the others with the ability to update or upgrade and it doesn't offer daily security fixes.
    In the absence of this transparency into the development process, I am sure many enthusiasts like me are frustrated.
    Perhaps KK is frustated to read such demands like yours.

I still do not understand why people are failing to get my point.

Let me explain..........I know that this is a contributor website but surely there must be SOME people here who know the reason behind the delay,but are not disclosing(sad for free software). I do not think it is necessary to send a cold e.-mail to the lead for this (especially when the e.-mail address has been written as it is in a spam-friendly manner).

I have never held that I am all for INSTALLING Knoppix as a resident OS for primary use...........in my earlier post I made it very clear that I use Knoppix as a live system on my microSD card for my use as well as to DEMONSTRATE LINUX (BY RUNNING IT LIVE) on any laptop having a card reader (I forgot to add netbooks too since they dont have optical drives).Neither have I asked for daily security fixes. The point about old browsers was simply because the delay between the two points, i. e. (1) When the release notes are written for a supposedly distribution-ready version 7.0 and (2) When NON-CUSTOMERS of Linux Magazine (or for that matter non-visitors to CeBIT) actually get to use it from official sources .......... makes the system old because whether we like it or not, browsers are used more and more and therefore when an OS's release notes claims that XYZ browser version has been included, it means something when you realise that by the time YOU GOT TO USE IT, the browser was outdated. Of course I know that Knoppix doesn't distribute/manage packages on it's own, nothing prevents anyone (including me) from updating the browser using the Debian repositories once Knoppix is loaded and is connected to the internet. What I meant to point out was that how disappointing it feels to base your experience on release notes written several weeks back because not many users (especially those who want to make use of the system as a live OS) would want to update their browser manually. It is natural for them to expect the latest version to be built-in.

What I want is some PUBLIC (not in private) announcement of what the team is working on......PLEASE NOTE VERY CLEARLY: I AM NOT ASKING ANYBODY TO REINVENT THE WHEEL,NOR DEMANDING ANYTHING EXTRAORDINARY WHICH NOBODY HAS ATTEMPTED BEFORE..................you can have a look here: http://web.archive.org/web/201012230.../index-en.html
    Read the last paragraph on that cached page........you will understand what I mean.

(1) It contains atleast a FEW WORDS (atleast a FEW WORDS,repeat) describing WHAT THEY ARE WORKING ON CURRENTLY(i.e. at that point of time) and that answers my question.
    (2) Its on the official Knoppix home page, to which I believe only the development team (or rather a small subset of it) has access, and hence, my demand for a similar post detailing the progress (or the lack of it) on Knoppix 7.0 is NOT something that would frustrate someone in their team.
    Last edited by jacksonon; 05-28-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    .I know that this is a contributor website ..
    Here you are within a forum not on the contributor website:
    "http://www.knoppix.net/forum" != "http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/"

Please have a look at http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/, have a look at the email address at the bottom of this page and ask KK why he doesn't hurry up with the new Knoppix version.

I understand what Jacksonon is saying. I bought the magazine and right from the start had a bad copy. I tried to file copy it to see if I could make another disk using the files I retrieved from the disk, but the fact was that the main file I needed to run the kernel was defective in some way. I am being patient too and simply waiting to see when the new version of Knoppix will be available to download. I read some posts which suggested that there was no point in having the magazine send me another copy of the same disk with the defect still in it. I agreed and made no attempt to do that.
    It would be nice to know how big a problem they have with the new version. I sympathise with the makers of the disk and it must be frustrating for them and the producers of the magazine too, but most of us waiting patiently for the release (especially those of us willing to buy the magazine to get the disk direct) should be told what kind of flaw they are trying to fix. Maybe it would only involve leaving out one of the applications to fix it and perhaps that will not be so bad that we cant wait for months to see it back in the distro again. But we are not told anything and I see his point. It is like waiting in line to purchase something and there is a long delay with no explanation; most of us only want to know why it is taking so long. If I were told, my reply would probably go along the lines of, "oh ok, I can see that could be a major problem". "Thanks for doing all you can to fix it".

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast