Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 7.0 Same procedure as every year!

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hello,
    I also would like to get the Knoppix 7.0 minirt for the same reason.
    The magazine will only show up in a month in the US...
    Thx, Gilles
    I have put the file here for you to download:
    http://www.icpug.org.uk/national/programs/minirt.gz

Let me know when you have it as I will remove it afterwards.

Note that the file size is the same as that for Knoppix 6.70 so it may not have changed since then.

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix 7.0 minirt

Hi ICPUG,
    I got it. Thank you very much !
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

PS: the changes in the Knoppix 7.0 minirt init script are very minor:
    mainly some text update (unicode char added) and an almost insignificant bug fix.
    That means less work for me when I will get the DVD...

New DistroWatch summary page for 7.0

A new DistroWatch summary page for Knoppix 7.0 at:
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=knoppix
    But no new link to free 7.0 CDs & DVDs yet.

Moderator Moderator
    KK anounced the appearance of the new free versions in about five or six weeks after the CeBIT.

Moderator Moderator
    I have finished the script to remaster the CeBIT version of Knoppix V7.0DVD and adapted the HowTo of chroot-method.

I've noticed that there is a bittorrent now out that says its Knoppix 7. My query is how valid is this image ? If (as I suspect it might be, seeing as it can be remastered fairly easily) it is an image with malware in it, then perhaps it might save many people heartache if an MD5 and or an SHA1 of the genuine image is published ? I say this because there is bound to be many people unwilling to wait for the image being published on the official mirrors etc. or unable to source the magazine that it is initially released upon. This is not intended to be a scaremongering post, just one that is trying to help people not potentially become infected if the said torrent image is a bad one.

Moderator Moderator
    The Knoppix V7.0DVD is the CeBIT version; you could get it at the CeBIT or you can buy the magazine (especially in Germany) with the DVD in it. KK doesn't offers this CeBIT versions for download and therefore he doesn't publish the md5sum for this versions.

All obscure V7 of Knoppix for download aren't authorized by KK.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I have finished the script to remaster the CeBIT version of Knoppix V7.0DVD and adapted the HowTo of chroot-method.
    Greetings Werner, from a Linux noob.

I've noticed that Knoppix has a small programme for installing Knoppix to an empty and formatted USB drive, from a live running DVD, or another live USB drive.

Presumably this programme installs a vanilla copy of the original Knoppix files, minus any user changes such as updates and preferences, which reside in the 'persistence' file, if using an USB live system; which, presumably, is not copied to the second empty USB drive.

Could your remastering and recombining script, be integrated in such a way as to allow a user with a running modified Knoppix USB system, to 'simply' press the "install to usb" button, and have the 'new' system installed on an empty USB drive, with all the personal modifications recombined; leaving the user free to create a fresh persistence file, at next launch?

Such a process being performed without using any 'swap-space' on HD drives, but using only system ram and the two USB drives, one live and the other empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    The Knoppix V7.0DVD is the CeBIT version; you could get it at the CeBIT or you can buy the magazine (especially in Germany) with the DVD in it. KK doesn't offers this CeBIT versions for download and therefore he doesn't publish the md5sum for this versions.

All obscure V7 of Knoppix for download aren't authorized by KK.
    Thanks for your reply, I guessed as much that was the case in order to give some sort of exclusivity to the said magazine? (or possibly allow time for more polishing before general release maybe ?)
    It is unfortunate then that the MD5 and SHA1 are not published until the official general release occurs, it might help in diminishing potential malware flourishing if the MD5 and SHA1 checksums were published even if the actual images were not until later.

@ VeryConcerned

Thanks for your concern.
    I agree it is prudent to 'pass up' this possibility.
    By my count, we may have something 'official' on the mirrors in about three weeks.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast