Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remaster problem with script

Remaster problem with script

Following the instructions in Setting up for Remastering at http://knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Rema...ent_for_chroot I modified the script to point to /dev/sdb6 and ran it. There was screen output until the warning that the process might take a long time, so I walked away and returned about an hour later. The CD drive light was still flashing and the HD drive light too, so I assumed the job was not over. But then I noticed the screen was black, the keyboard and mouse dead. I had to turn the power off. After rebooting to my usual distro I checked the partition in question and there was not a single file written to it.

Has anybody used this script for a successful copy of the files on the CD? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Moderator Moderator
    Did you run the first part of the four scripts ( last modified 26 January 2012) in a root terminal?

How big is your partition 'sdb6' and how did you format it? I used a 5 GB ext3-partition for CD and 20 GB ext3-partition for DVD remaster.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-18-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks for the quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Did you run the first part of the four scripts ( last modified 26 January 2012) in a root terminal?

How big is your partition 'sdb6' and how did you format it? I used a 5 GB ext3-partition for CD and 20 GB ext3-partition for DVD remaster.

Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
    Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
    The page I copied the script from states...

HTML Code:
    This page was last modified 17:46, 16 February 2012.
    ...and yes I ran it from a root terminal.

/dev/sdb6 is 34 GBytes and if mounted shows up as...

HTML Code:
    /dev/sdb6 on /mnt type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=writeback)
    I went one step further executing the script one command at a time from a root terminal. When I got to swapon swapfile the response was...

HTML Code:
    swapon failed: Invalid argument
    I tried every possible variation of the swapon options. Every one failed.

Moderator Moderator
    As in the example
    Code:
    # Path to partition you will work on
    PFAD="/media/sda1"
    the variable $PFAD must be set to the mountpoint, not to the device!

And why not mount '/dev/sdb6' to for example '/mnt/sdb6' or '/media/sdb6' instead of '/mnt'?

As in the example
    Code:
    # Path to partition you will work on
    PFAD="/media/sda1"
    the variable $PFAD must be set to the mountpoint, not to the device!

And why not mount '/dev/sdb6' to for example '/mnt/sdb6' or '/media/sdb6' instead of '/mnt'?
    Oops! I must have taken one stupidity pill too many. Sorry to take up your time, and thank you very much.

I got as far as being able to chroot into the saved file. Then I added four small *.desktop files to /usr/share/application following instructions on an LXDE page. A total of 1000 bytes I thought I could sneek in without exceeding a CD's capacity. I made 4 links under the home Desktop directory. then executed the last two scripts to write the CD iso. When I tried to burn it my software complained it was too big. I checked the size of the remastered.iso file it was over 838MB. I only added 1KB. I plan to try again by removing some software I don't need, like iceweasel, but if I am already 138MB over allowable that's going to be a little difficult.

Any suggestions other than using VirtualBox?

Moderator Moderator
    The size of the new ISO depends on the parameters you use within genisoimage and for create_compressed_fs. Especially for create_compressed_fs I use the standard compression level; if you select "-b" (try all an choose the best compression method) the used time to build a new ISO becomes tremendous.

For the old chroot-method for remaster you dont't need VirtualBox; I only suggest it for the kn-remaster script.

Greetings Werner

I managed to remove enough software to bring the size of the .iso to under 700MB and burned a CD that boots. However, it will not boot to the GUI, and I get a text screen. Startx works but is not acceptable. Also it boots as user root instead of user knoppix. User root is probably acceptable if I can get to a GUI on boot.

My project is to produce a network test CD with 5 simple test icons on the desktop for naive users. That means no command line interfaces whatsoever.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Moderator Moderator
    I managed to remove enough software to bring the size...
    If you remove packages within Knoppix, it's on your own risk. Did you get any error messages from aptitude? Did you test your burned ISO with cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?

For CD remaster with kn-remaster script I suggested
    http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/kn-c...html#vorschlag

Perhaps it may help you.

Thank you for your advice.

If you remove packages within Knoppix, it's on your own risk.
    I understand.

Did you get any error messages from aptitude?
    No error messages, but some warnings.

Did you test your burned ISO with cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
    Yes I did after my first failure. The output was...

HTML Code:
    Checking ./KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    All files ok.
    ...followed by...

HTML Code:
    INIT:Entering run level:5
    root@microknoppix:/#
    ...but no GUI. The software I removed was LibreOffice, GIMP, Brasero and some other multimedia applications. Nothing that implied network or system use. I will re-trace my steps. Is there some way I can boot from my remastered ISO without having to burn a CD? I am wasting a lot of plastic.

Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast