Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synaptic- ReloadInfo- ErrorMessage

Hi Klaus and thanks for your time....
    Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    Do you have a camera to take a photo of your current desktop environment?
    Yes, I do. After Power "ON" it runs through boot "using /mnt-system/Knoppix/knoppix-data.img" (for a spit second I can see root/Microknoppix #) and ends up there. - see attachment.

Are you able to switch to a console with the key combination Ctrl-Alt-F1?
    I'm not able to get the console!
    I probably could change syslinux.cfg on my Desktop to Run level 2, but I think it's not worth it.
    I came to the conclusion that it is for me to much effort to go through the whole configuration (WiFi, Bluetooth, ...) again and I would like to wait for the Knoppix Rev. 7 and do it then. What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Code:
    chvt 5 && su -c "DISPLAY=:0 lxterminal -l" knoppix &
    Out of curiosity I tried Run Level 2 and got the console as I assumed. But there is no lxterminal -
    see screenshot and message root@Microknoppix:/# bash : lxterminal: command not found
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member registered user
    Maybe you made too many updates at a time or some essential packages were removed automatically.

The screenshot shows error messages of the Xserver.
    (EE) open /dev/fb0: No such device
    The framebuffer device was not found. My first idea is that you could boot with the additional cheat code 'nofb'.

I came to the conclusion that it is for me to much effort to go through the whole configuration (WiFi, Bluetooth, ...) again and I would like to wait for the Knoppix Rev. 7 and do it then.
    KK should publish the next Knoppix 7 public version within the next few weeks, but I think that you cannot be sure that Knoppix 7 will be working 'out of the box'. On the other hand you know now how to get Knoppix 6.7 running on your system.

If you remove the persistent image file all your personal settings and downloaded files are lost. If you still need one or the other then you should copy it to a place outside the persistent image file. In this case I would boot into runlevel 2 and create a new directory /mnt-system/myfiles
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt-system/myfiles
    Copying files is easy if you can use the Midnight Commander. The command
    Code:
    mc
    will start the program. The article 'An Introduction to the Midnight Commander' explains the basic usage of that program.

After you have copied your personal files you can delete the persistent image file. The main thing is that this file may not be in use. I would boot into runlevel 2 with the additional cheat code 'noimage'. In the console you can issue
    Code:
    mke2fs -F -m 0 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
    This will create an empty file system inside your persistent image file.
    Code:
    reboot
    lets you reboot your system.

.........all your personal settings and downloaded files are lost.
    I got mc running! I created directory "/myfiles" where you recommended.
    Am I right, all my personal settings are in directory "/home"?

After you have copied your personal files you can delete the persistent image file. The main thing is that this file may not be in use. I would boot into runlevel 2 with the additional cheat code 'noimage'. In the console you can issue
    Code:
    mke2fs -F -m 0 /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img
    This will create an empty file system inside your persistent image file.
    Code:
    reboot
    lets you reboot your system.
    Do you here talk about preparations for a new Knoppix 7 installation on the same USB stick?

Thanks for your help, you are very supportive!

Senior Member registered user
    Am I right, all my personal settings are in directory "/home"?
    Now that you have created a directory outside the persistent image you can copy the important files from your home directory and its subdirectories to the new directory. Your home directory is /home/knoppix because 'knoppix' is the user name. I think that most users will have their important files in /home/knoppix/Desktop and /home/knoppix/Downloads, but there could be other subdirectories, too.

Do you here talk about preparations for a new Knoppix 7 installation on the same USB stick?
    I am talking about the creation an 'empty' persistent file for Knoppix 6.7 so that you can start the configuration of Knoppix again. If you plan to create a USB stick with Knoppix 6.7 and Knoppix 7.0 at the same time you must rename the KNOPPIX directory and use the cheat code 'knoppix_dir=[new directory name]' They cannot share the same persistent store! Each version of Knoppix needs its own persistent image. Sharing the same files can be done by using a directory outside the persistent image files. I think that the creation of a multiboot USB stick is for very advanced users who exactly know what they do. You won't have a setup program which would assist you.

I hope that helps!

Thank you, Klaus...Yes that helps....
    Wish you Happy Easter Holidays

OK, System is up and running again...Although no update/upgrade with Synaptic Package Manager possible because of message
    Could not apply changes!
    Fix broken packages first.
    Which I'm still not able to do!
    Last edited by Karibu; 04-10-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12