Thread: Knoppix 6.7 connect to Windows 7 shared folder

Knoppix 6.7 connect to Windows 7 shared folder

Hi

New to Knoppix. I am using the 6.7 Adriane CD and am impressed with its boot time and stability( and it having test disk )

I am connected to the network ( as I am typing this )but cannot connect to (or see) a networked windows 7 computer to get to a shared folder.

I have looked at various faqs / tutorials but they seem to be for older / different Knoppix distros 9 with konqueror - I also followed something on wikibooks that didn't work...)

I have tried $ ipconfig in the LX terminal having gone to root, but got no command found.
    tried smb://name of computer// name of folder
    tried typing the address in the chromium browser but no good.

Any suggestions..?

thanks in advance for suggestions

Knoppix 6.7 connect to Windows 7 shared folder

Hi again

Hi - I have now done it through
    accessories>
    file manager>>
    address bar

type :- smb://computername/dirname

though only some directories work - others fail to mount with the error failed to mount windows share and the specified location is not mounted - though have manged to access this particular directory through Ubuntu earlier.

I am having the same problem, but without so far any successful breakthrough, despite hours of googling, reading FAQs and commentary.

First a little background: I have two computers connected to my internet router - a Windows 7 desktop with a wired LAN connection and a Dell Inspiron laptop that I recently inherited from a neighbor with a wireless connection to the router. The laptop came to me with no hard drive (the neighbor tells me it has gone to that great junkyard in the sky), which led me to download and burn Knoppix 6.7.1 (both CD and DVD versions) so that I could check out the laptop's capabilities while I managed to scrounge up the cash for a hard drive. Both computers connect to the internet seamlessly, but so far neither seems to be aware of the other.

I was inspired by hottub's second post about simply using File Manager to connect through smb://server/share, but no joy. I have set up Network Sharing on 4 different folders on the Windows box, 2 on NTFS partitions and 2 on FAT32, using every permutation of the various sharing options that Windows 7 provides, with the Windows Firewal both on and off, and they all give the same pair of error messages that hottub noted.

Now I know that this can be done so I kept trying. Next I followed the directions provided by Chris Ling in the Network Shared Drive FAQ at http://knoppix.net/wiki/Network_Shar...XP_machine_.3F for connecting to XP shares:

(continuing from previous posting which i accidentally submitted before I finished typing LOL)

So, hoping that not too much has changed in this regard with Win 7, I tried the following:

$ su
    # mkdir /media/foo
    # mount.cifs //192.168.0.10/foo /media/foo -o user=*****,etc.

this always results in one or the other of the following error messages:

mount error(115): Operation is in progress

or

mount error(112): Host is down

(even though ping 192.168.0.10 returns nn packetstransmitted, nn received. 0% packet loss)

Can anybody shed some light on a possible solution to my problem??