Thread: Outstretched arms, groping in the dark looking for flash-knoppix

Outstretched arms, groping in the dark looking for flash-knoppix

Hi all,
    I did a search on flash-knoppix with no results for such a basic question as mine.

*(as an aside) I've been trying to move to Linux off and on for about 10 years now without much success. I'm still trying. I would really like to find documentation that would take someone like me from quite ignorant to moderately competent (in a daily linear manner) as I was able to do with the commercial training docs for windows. Everything Linux I've looked at is either sooo basic it doesn't really tell you anything useful or assumes some level of familiarity w/o the means to become so.

To the problem; Right now, I've d/led the knoppix DVD, verified and burned. boots fine and runs. I caught the bit about installing to a usb flash drive ("a program called flash-knoppix is provided in the "Settings" menu when starting from CD or DVD.") But I missed seeing "Settings" anywhere. So, is "Settings" a menu that is supposed to show during boot or is it a menu I'm supposed to find from the desktop.
    I'd also like to know where to post questions on the "persistent" stuff. What I've read seems just vague enough that I can see interpreting things in several ways which leads to (at least some) very futile and frustrating trial and mostly error.

Right now I'm Clueless in Quincy.

Senior Member registered user
    @ HalinQuincy

An answer to some of your questions may be found at:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/296...highlight=lxde

Doug Willett's site treats linux and lxde in a Mint context, but there is a lot
    in common with the current lxde-oriented Knoppix.

I doubt there is a 'linear' approach to be had.
    Enjoy the non-linear joys of trial and error.
    And welcome to the forum.

;D

edit: I note Doug's site has apparently moved since my earlier note.
    TUNING LXDE is now at http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html.
    Last edited by utu; 04-20-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Thanx,
    i'll pursue the links you posted.
    From the look and feel of things in 6.7 (and a quick look at ubuntu) distros seem to have come a long way. Finding basic stuff (like how to adjust graphics resolution so you could actually read what came up on the desktop) in the past was quite a challenge. I've found it much easier to navigate around to find the various tools and appications to work on and in the OS.
    I just tried the links you posted on a Win 7 box. Web of Trust pops up with a POOR REP message for the site. Any thoughts?

Mahalo Nui Loa,
    HalinQuincy

Aloha.
    I can vouch for Doug Willett, but I'd would be wary of Web of Trust.
    Web of Trust sounds like vigilantism at its best.

Actually, Web of Trust has saved my back-side several times. Times when I would have clicked right on through to sites that install spyware, viruses, malware, etc.There are options to go ahead to the web page once or OK indefinitely. It's just a tool by which users can report flakey sites for several misdeeds. I have run across a couple of other sites that were blocked that shouldn't have been. When I checked them out first as I did with you I went ahead to the web page and then reported the false rating so that the site wouldn't be rated for bad behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by HalinQuincy View Post
    It's just a tool by which users can report flakey sites for several misdeeds. I have run across a couple of other sites that were blocked that shouldn't have been.
    The trouble with vigilante justice is that sometimes they hang the wrong guy.

Moderator Moderator
    Web of Trust has saved my back-side several times. Times when I would have clicked right on through to sites that install spyware, viruses, malware, etc.
    but not within a Linux installation!

"WOT" is like Vodoo and cannot replace brain V1.0

Werner makes a good point which may have a corollary:

I vouch for Doug Willett, but perhaps his site has been hacked
    such that Windows users are subject to some malware,
    or someone thinks that is the case.

Even so, I am more troubled by the possibility, if it exists,
    for some crank to slime someone else using WOT anonymously.

Look WOT is no more and no less than a rating system. It is not much different than product ratings on Amazon. YMMV. If a site gets a few or one bad review. Others will rate the site as safe to use. the system will reflect that. And, there is the ability to leave a message to the folks that do WOT and ask them to check the veracity of any negative review. I don't get how you can equate a rather (though not completely) egalitarian rating system with Vigilatism. It's a heck of a lot better than our TSA or Homeland Security <G>.