Thread: Automatically Start nm-applet After HD Install...

Question Automatically Start nm-applet After HD Install...

I just installed Knoppix 6.7.1 to HDD from a Live CD. While using the Live CD, The Network Manager's nm-applet places an icon in the panel, but after installing, the nm-applet icon is NOT in the panel. It appears that nm-applet isn't loaded in the case of a full install. I can load nm-applet by going to a terminal session and entering "nm-applet &", which will then place the applet's icon in the panel, with all working normally afterward. But, I want it to work the same as the Live CD.

Question: How do I get nm-applet to load automatically?
    __________________________________________________ _

IBM Aptiva, AMD K6 266MHz, 256Mb Memory, 15Gb HD, D-Link G122 USB Wireless

Moderator Moderator
    The NMApplet is also per default within HD installation within the panel (left of the clock).

If you've removed it:
    right mouseclick to panel => Panel Settings
    within the window "Panel Preferences" => tab "Panel Applet"
    => button "Add" => select "System Tray"

Hello Werner, and thanks for the quick reply.

No, I didn't remove anything, and I've installed Knoppix 6.7.1 several times with the result always being the same, no nm-applet icon in the panel. Following your instructions, I find that the "System Tray" is already in the panel. In (Panel Preferences / Panel Applets) from the bottom, I have (Digital Clock, CPU Usage Monitor, System Tray. Volume Control, ...).

Some additional info: When I enter "ps aux" in a terminal session, immediately after boot, but before manually starting nm-applet, "nm-applet" DOES NOT appear in the list of processes. After I enter "nm-applet &" to manually start nm-applet, "nm-applet" DOES appear in the list of processes. Apparently, nm-applet is not being launched automatically.

Is it possible that the failure to launch nm-applet is an i586 issue?

OK, over the past day or so, some foggy memories have returned of having been here before. Last year, I installed Knoppix 6.7.1 on a Compaq Deskpro (Pentium II), after having Knoppix 6.7.0 installed on it, and I ran into the exact same problem. After spending too much time trying (unsuccessfully) to get the nm-applet problem sorted, I re-installed 6.7.0, which worked great, proving the problem to not be an i586 issue. Last night, I installed 6.7.0 on the Aptiva, and Voila!!!, the nm-applet problem was gone. It's NOT an i586 issue.

Now, with Knoppix 6.7.0 running great on the Aptiva, I have a different problem. I tried to install Samba, and had problem with dependencies. If there's a quick answer to this, here's the message that Synaptic returned:

samba:
    Depends: samba-common (=2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze7) but 2:3.5.8~dfsg-1 is to be installed
    Depends: libwbclient0 (=2:3.5.6~dfsg-3squeeze7) but 2:3.5.8~dfsg-1 is to be installed

Otherwise, it's the topic of a different thread.

Werner - Thanks for trying to help..