Thread: unable to mount floppy drive

Exclamation unable to mount floppy drive

I just got a set of floppy disks for my computer. i know they are old tech but I love to use them. i went to computer in file viewer and clicked on the floppy drive. It said it was a mount point and asked what program I wanted to open it with. I thought the floppy's I bought were per-formatted. I don;t know what it is asking me to do. Should I try to reformat them? I can't even find the floppy drive in fstab. And I can't manually mount it with mount in a terminal. I'm using knoppix 6.7.1 on an old HP pavilion 513W

Senior Member registered user
    Open a terminal, insert a floppy disk with some files on it and issue the command
    Code:
    hwinfo --floppy
    This will give you information about the mount device name of you floppy disk drive. In my case I use a USB floppy disk drive connected to an old HP Omnibook and get the device name /dev/sdb.

Then open a PCMan file manager. Do not select My computer from the menu, but click on the proper device in the left pane of the file manager. In my case I have to click on sdb.

Before you remove the floppy disk right click on the device in the left pane of the file manager and unmount the disk.

I hope that helps.

Senior Member registered user
    It seems that mounting and unmouting of floppy disks cannot be done with the PCMan file manager if your floppy disk drive is not a USB device but a conventional one.

You could try the following.

Open a terminal. Insert a floppy disk with some files on it into your floppy disk drive. Create a mount point, load the appropriate kernel module and mount your floppy disk.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/fd0
    sudo modprobe floppy
    sudo mount -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/fd0 /media/fd0
    Open a file manager and navigate to the directory /media/fd0. You should see the files on your floppy disk.

Before you remove your floppy disk you should close the file manager and issue the command
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/fd0
    in a terminal.

The problems is that all my floppys are file free... will try the suggestions anyway.

hwinfo --floppy didn't give me anything.
    second idea worked until I try to unmount, it says /media/fd0 isn't mounted

Moderator Moderator
    Which kind of floppy drive do you have - USB drive or a intern drive with floppy data cable? If intern drive,does BIOS recognize and/or support floppy disk and what kind of floppy disk? While booting do you see light of the drive-LED?

If you have very old floppy disks the preformat may be damaged; therefore Knoppix cannot mount the disk. Try to new format a floppy disk.

I reformated, setup the fstab file and everything seems to be working fine now. just one more question, how can i tell if the files are on the floppy without another floppy enabled computer?

internal floppy, BIOS recognises it. 3.5 MF2HD 1.44 MB formatted for IBM ps/2 and compatible disks

well never mind my last post, same problems as before. any ideas?