Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.1-EN DVD notes & comments

Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Is this an offer one might not notice, as in the 3 second flash on the screen of previous versions? Could you post a screen save of it? I definitely didn't choose any persistent memory size, yet my setting changes persist after reboot with the USBflash installation.
    Have now had a closer look in Puppy Linux at my Knoppix 7.0.1 usb flash installation (I couldn't figure out how to view the disk while running from it in Knoppix), and it appears that I do have a file called 'knoppix-data.img' sized 1000M inside the Knoppix folder on the disk. This size is either a default, or kept from a pre-existing file (see below).

Another interesting point is this. When I chose to preserve data on the thumbdrive, rather than wiping the entire capacity, Knoppix 7.0.1 installed over the existing knoppix file within the Knoppix folder, but left untouched several files from my brief August 2011 experimentation with Knoppix 6.4 (as shown by the date stamps). The two files preserved are background.png and backgroundreadme.txt, and also an empty folder called 'modules'.

Since I've already made changes to the persistent image file, its date stamp tells me nothing. But I wonder whether that file was also preserved unchanged from the 6.4 installation, and whether this might account for the lack of a prompt to create it and/or the size of 1GB?

In any case, it's a feature that deserves some attention, to avoid unwanted results (such as a too small a persistent image file size. Maybe the modules folder might also cause problems, if the modules are not compatible with the current version of Knoppix?

A means of resizing the persistent image file, as provided in Puppy Linux, would also be helpful, or does it already exist? Puppy's unfortunately only sizes upward, so if a glitch results in an excessively large file, there's no way to downsize.

Moderator Moderator
    I couldn't figure out how to view the disk while running from it in Knoppix
    You can all of it see within the folder '/mnt-system/' while running the flash disk install:

/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX the compressed filesystem
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img (..aes) your persistent memory and so on.
    Maybe the modules folder might also cause problems,
    It's only a empty folder since some versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    You can all of it see within the folder '/mnt-system/' while running the flash disk install:

/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX the compressed filesystem
    /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img (..aes) your persistent memory and so on.
    It's only a empty folder since some versions.
    Thanks Werner. I'm having trouble deciding on a strategy for use and sizing of the thumbdrive's persistent image, since I don't know exactly how it works. I gather that I can't simply create a new, larger knoppix-data.img file, and copy all the contents of the old one to it Yesterday, I tried to install an application called Quantum GIS via Software Center. dpgk reported I would have to uninstall a number of installed programs to achieve this, and I agreed. However, the installation failed, and the popup that reported the failure makes very little sense to me. I saved the text, but after spending a good hour studying the requirements of reporting the bug to either the KDE or Quantum GIS, concluded that I lack both the skill and the time for this. The problem is that, although there was a cancel button onscreen with the popup, it's not clear that it was active. So now I'm wondering whether programs have been removed or replaced, and other programs will be crippled as a result. The issue seems to have been with Mysql core server, which dpkg wanted to replace with a newer version. But I can't see it listed among the installed programs. Is there a way to see whether any programs have been disabled? And if so, how can that be fixed? If I were to simply delete my existing knoppix-data.img file now, would my installation be crippled on reboot, or would I simply lose everything in the img file and be prompted to create a new one? BTW. is there a way I can use spacing in my posts? The forum preview function shows all formatting removed - not only spacing, but also quotes...

Senior Member registered user
    BTW. is there a way I can use spacing in my posts? The forum preview function shows all formatting removed - not only spacing, but also quotes...
    I replace NoScript with AdBlock Plus for this reason.
    Then I compose in Leafpad and cut and paste with no loss of whitespace.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by utu; 06-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I replace NoScript with AdBlock Plus for this reason.
    Then I compose in Leafpad and cut and paste with no loss of whitespace.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks UTU. How do I access that option? All I see below is post icons and under "additional" options, disable smilies and automatically parse links in text.

Could it be that my posting permissions don't allow me this function?

Posting Permissions

• You may post new threads
    • You may post replies
    • You may post attachments
    • You may edit your posts

Forum Rules

Spacing etc: If you use NoScript, just allow knoppix.net.
    Persistent image: If you delete it, you just start afresh. You lose everything you have added/modified. There are several techniques for changing persistent image size, you should look them up in this forum.
    Trying out modifications: That's one of the great things with Knoppix: You can just make a backup of your present knoppix-data.img, and return to that if you find you have to backtrack. You can also have a number of persistent images if you choose to make some special versions. That may in fact be easier than trying to cram all uses into one image.

Thanks UTU. How do I access that option?[/URL]
    Capricorny has another answer to this.
    Both make the point that it's the browser and not the forum that's eating the whitespace.
    Look under browser tools and add-ons. Klaus K like NoScript. I prefer AdBlock Plus.
    Capricorny points out you can still use NoScript and let sites in one-by-one.

I like to compose off-line because the forum editor has a ten-minute cut-off for edits
    once posted. I never see my typos until I post them anyway.

Cheers.

First Impressions

First Impressions

1) Congratulation to the Knoppix Dev-team and thanks to K.K. for sharing this great
    distro...
    2) On both, my Desktop (self-made, see hard_info) and a HP-Pavilion-g6 Laptop
    (see hard info), the Live-DVD worked "out of the box".
    No cheat-codes, no black screens on startup, no graphics module searching, no
    kernel compiling, no fooling around with compiz settings, no wireless issue...
    the list goes on...
    3) The USB installation on a 8GB flash drive works flawless and astonishing fast on
    both machines.
    4) Minor issue - The Live DVD does not eject at reboot/shutdown.
    5) When I try to make a USB install at the Laptop I get an error message:

cp: reading 'KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error
    cp: failed to extend '/tmp/flash-knoppix.3256.tmpmount/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX': input/output error
    (see screen image) and the installation does not finish.
    6) My personal issue -
    a) How can I get rid of the mirads of games (I do not play on
    the computer - except maybe chess, solitaire or sudoku)
    b) Same question for terminals, editors, calenders, burners, media player...
    I only need one of these and the opportunity to install another if needed.

My first Impressions...10 out of 10!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Moderator Moderator
    If I were to simply delete my existing knoppix-data.img file now, would my installation be crippled on reboot, or would I simply lose everything in the img file and be prompted to create a new one?
    In this case a have an virgin V7.0.1 installation and you'll get the offer to create a new persistent memory like within elder Knoppix versions.
    BTW. is there a way I can use spacing in my posts?
    Use double new line for new paragraph. If you use NoScript, always allow "knoppix.net/forum".

@ Karibu

Not sure what you are doing at #5..
    If you made a LiveDVD from the iso, did you do testcd?
    Answer to #6 is the CD-version, not out yet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast