Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.1-EN DVD notes & comments

Moderator Moderator
    As for the CeBIT-Version you also need for the new 7.0.x versions 8GB at least. You'll get abou 4GB for persistent memory.

Senior Member registered user
    Thank you.

Yes, that is the only solution which makes sense . However, for my netbook's regular usage, specifically the requirement is that I boot into a locally saved(on the HDD) copy of the files (made via knoppix tohd boot option) from a memory card which is always present inserted in the card reader.(the memory card is used for nothing else).

Now, I already have a 7.0.1 working DVD burnt on my desktop but I usually use Knoppix on my netbook only AND before some time ago I was planning to buy another hard-disk (doesn't matter whether internal/external,I just want more capacity of atleast 100 GBs desperately for backups),especially since I don't have any memory card / USB flash drive of capacity greater than 4 GBs.

Now, in order to make use of the new Knoppix given my case, I see the need for 2 purchases:
    (1) An external hard-disk as was being planned some time ago. I hope I can turn this into a live Knoppix disk just like a regular USB flash disk and this obviously wont be as small as 8 GBs.
    (2) A larger memory card of atleast 8 GBs which will replace the one in the card reader and remain across reboots unless I need to access another memory card, since I dont use the card reader for anything else.
    (3) A larger USB flash drive.....but I don't intend to purchase this right away, since I prefer to wait for the arrival of Windows-To-Go certified USB flash drives (special feature of Windows 8 enterprise edition)...and they will have to be of atleast 16 GB capacity I guess.

Figuring a way out.

@ jacksonon

8 Gb works fine for LiveUSBs made from Knoppix 7 LiveDVD; i save enough room,
    by using only 1.4 Gb for persistence, to backup knoppix-data.img,

I've found that Knoppix LiveCD's create good 2 Gb LiveUSBs with lots of persistence.
    I've used a 16 Gb unit to do self-contained re-mastering of CD-size LiveUSBs
    using one of Werner's techniques.

is touchpad enabled in 7.01?
    can we scroll etc and is there a user definable menu as with oth linux distros?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon View Post
    The new DVDs are large....pretty large....both 7.0.1 as well as the slightly larger 7.0.2..............how do I fit any of them onto a 4 GB flash disk or even a 4 GB micro-SDHC card ? Anybody successful in doing so ? I know that in terms of storage, 4 GB = approx. 3.725 GBs usable(unformatted) and the DVD ISO is around 3.89 GB,so at first glance itself it seems silly. However, I wish to know whether there are work-arounds.
    I just installed it to USB flash today, and the knoppix folder alone takes up more than 4GB, so I think you'll need an 8GB flash drive at minimum.

automatic persistent image in v. 7.0.1?

When I installed Knoppix 7.0.1 EN to an 8GB thumbdrive today I was surprised to get no persistent image dialogue. In fact, I can't remember how I got the persistent image, but I must have it, since I'm able to save items to the desktop, and I no longer get the 'must have a persistent image' message when saving the firewall configuration.

Yet I've noted at least one post here describing the choice of the persistent image file size, which I was definitely not prompted for, as in previous versions.

I was asked whether I wanted to format and use the entire drive, and said "no". Does this mean that the Knoppix file is dynamic, and simply grows to fill the available free space on the drive, or is there a limited amount of free space available within the Knoppix folder?

If the latter is the case, what happens when it's filled? Will I be able to remove applications before Knoppix locks up, or can I just copy the usb drive or the knoppix folder and boot folder to a larger flash drive and carry on?

The only proof I have of persistence is that I was able to save a jpeg file to the desktop which persists after rebooting.

Am I missing something?

NB: as one who's been playing with Knoppix since version 3.xx, and is probably still using Linux mainly because Knopper's efforts to popularize the LiveCD, I would add that this is the fastest and most trouble-free version I have yet experienced.

Several recent attempts refused to work on one or more of my PCs, but this one managed to boot into the desktop and run off a single USB thumbdrive on two desktops after being created on a laptop, the only apparent issue being the need to change the display resolution on one desktop in order to see the left half of the desktop.(Note to Klaus: the display configuration window should always be available via mouse click from anywhere on the display - I had to hook up a second monitor to get access to it in Knoppix7.0.1)

Moderator Moderator
    In the new version you get the offer to create persistent memory and encrypt it before knoppix-flash script end its work, not after it.

To avoid unneccesary trouble reporting/shooting, I suggest that anyone running into problems with 7.0.1 upgrades to 7.0.2, to see if the problems persist. A few bugs prompted Klaus K to release 7.0.2 on May 30. 7.0.2 runs fine for me off a 32 GB USB3 thumbdrive partitioned into 8GB FAT32 + 24GB ext3. Very quickly too.

Quote Originally Posted by wspc View Post
    ... is there a user definable menu... ?
    Yes.
    See Main Menu>Preferences>Main Menu. It's called Alacarte, and has more capability than lxmed.
    See also:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/298...s-in-Knoppix-7

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    In the new version you get the offer to create persistent memory and encrypt it before knoppix-flash script end its work, not after it.
    Is this an offer one might not notice, as in the 3 second flash on the screen of previous versions? Could you post a screen save of it? I definitely didn't choose any persistent memory size, yet my setting changes persist after reboot with the USBflash installation.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast