Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD?

Member registered user

Question CD?

Hi!

I see v7.0.1 and v7.0.2 DVDs are released, but where are the ones for CDs? Or did I miss them?

Thank you in advance.

Senior Member registered user
    Klaus K:
    The smaller CD version is still work in progress.
    Look at: http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html. The last CD versions have had some problems, probably mostly because of space requirements, so it may be safer to go with the DVDs.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Klaus K: Look at: http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html. The last CD versions have had some problems, probably mostly because of space requirements, so it may be safer to go with the DVDs.
    Ah thanks. The reason is that because not all very old computers can read DVDs. I also don't need all the extra programs (e.g., OpenOffice), etc. for urgent utilities for problematic computers.

Sure. But if they have USB2 w/booting, you may use a USB stick. USB1 is sloooow, but may still be faster than optical drive.

Member registered user
    Sure. But if they have USB2 w/booting, you may use a USB stick. USB1 is sloooow, but may still be faster than optical drive.
    True. According to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html , I still need to do it from a running KNOPPIX system like a live disc:

"In order to create a bootable USB-medium (memory flashdisk, SD-card, digital camera with USB connector, cellphone with microSD, ...), the program flash-knoppix can be started from a running Knoppix system. This program installs all needed Knoppix files onto the FAT-formatted flashdisk, and creates a boot record for it. If desired, the target medium can be partitioned and fornatted, or left in its inistal state, so that existing files stay intact..." That means using DVD version one requires a huge USB flash size too.

Does KNOPPIX not offer an USB media maker/creator without running KNOPPIX like other distributions?

I don't think so. That's because Knoppix is able to run on so much hardware, and usually there is little problem in getting it up and running. A USB install can be created on any PC able to run the DVD. Plus, Knoppix is a low-budget mainly personal Debian derivative.

Member registered user
    I don't think so. That's because Knoppix is able to run on so much hardware, and usually there is little problem in getting it up and running. A USB install can be created on any PC able to run the DVD. Plus, Knoppix is a low-budget mainly personal Debian derivative.
    Interesting. I guess I will have to do an extra task: Download ISO, burn to a DVD, boot it, make a USB flash media. Too bad I can't download and run program to make the bootable USB media.

Actually, there are some alternatives for running ISO images in virtual machines or by GRUB, but I think it is easier to find a PC running DVD..
    Could surely make a program too. I think there will soon be several alternatives for such tasks. In principle, it could be a program outside the compressed KNOPPIX image to be run from the loop-mounted ISO image.

Member registered user
    Actually, there are some alternatives for running ISO images in virtual machines or by GRUB, but I think it is easier to find a PC running DVD..
    Could surely make a program too. I think there will soon be several alternatives for such tasks. In principle, it could be a program outside the compressed KNOPPIX image to be run from the loop-mounted ISO image.
    Yeah, I know but it would easier and faster to skip that disc/ISO part.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Yeah, I know but it would easier and faster to skip that disc/ISO part.
    Well - Knoppix is basically a compressed image wrapped up in an ISO file, with a few auxilliary files - and for Linux users, that is an acceptable way to do it. I don't really see a great need for creating several variants, as the ISO image may be mounted as an image and programs contained outside the cloop KNOPPIX file run therefrom.

Assuming a program mkflash with option -f (formatting) in a directory utils on the DVD, the whole flash creation could be done like this, using only the ISO file:

Code:
        sudo mkdir /tmp/knx702
        sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop KNOPPIX_V7.0.2DVD-2012-05-30-EN.iso /tmp/knx702
        cd /tmp/knx702/utils
        mkflash -f /dev/sdb1
    I don't think other alternatives would be that much easier and faster, all complexities taken into account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast