Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Player Install?

Senior Member registered user

We need to improvise

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    Correct - also explains the error message.
    Yes, we need to guess intelligently and improvise.
    Regards

Administrator Site Admin-
    I've hit a "new to me" problem with Knoppix and Flash. Hoping that others here with more experience with it can help. Here are the details:

I'm using Knoppix 7.0 on a laptop that has a few problems (no hard drive, and a cracked screen so using HDMI out to my monitor). I have not had good results with 7.2 on this computer, so stayed on 7.0 which worked well until now. (Last time that I ran Knoppix was around the beginning of this month and all seemed to go well). I've been unable to get an install to a thumb drive to work properly, so I just boot my 7.0 Knoppix DVD and then install Flash with the menu "Install Components" option.

Today I booted Knoppix and took the "Install Components" option. Takes a lot of extra time, but I saw the message that Adobe Flash was installed fine. Fired up Chromium (had not had any luck with Iceweasel but Chromium worked fine before). Now some sites are simply acting like I don't have Flash installed at all. Hulu is giving me a message about a version of Flash that I need, not saying if it is failing to see Flash or if my version is too old). I actually have no idea which version of Adobe Flash the "install components" option is installing.

I've tried completely rebooting and reinstalling Adobe Flash with the same result.

The above hoop-jumping listed in this thread doesn't look like a good option, I had tried something like that with no success a while ago, and since I've been unsuccessful in using a thumb drive to boot from I don't want to go through all of that every time that I boot the DVD.

So does anyone have any good Knoppix solutions to offer which address the Flash issue. Has anyone remastered an ISO to include a current Adobe Flash that they will share? Is there a simple trick that I'm missing? Are there any other Live DVD's other than Knoppix that address and resolve the Adobe Flash issue?
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 07-29-2014 at 09:40 PM. Reason: typo corerection
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Flash Player is pre-installed in Google Chrome and updates automatically!
    You could check whether Adobe flash player is installed at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
    I don't remember which plugins Iceweasel of Knoppix7.0 contained, but the present versions have script blocking and ad-blocking plugins. Maybe they were there in 7.0 too? If they were, you could allow the scripts to run in your system by right clicking and enabling the scripts. There are a lot of options.
    For installing Flash in Iceweasel you better try the above-described easy way of creating a plugin folder and just copying-pasting the libflashplayer.so in the folder. Then start Iceweasel.
    I am sorry I could not be of much help. You might already have tried these avenues. Maybe my reply would even be found irrelevant when the real problems are detected.
    And you are the site-administrator! I am sorry I saw your laurels after I posted this message. You are supposed to be one of those exalted beings we, the mere mortals, never come across!
    Last edited by rajibando; 07-30-2014 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Saw the poster's status after posting. Had to mention

Some additions:
    I use persistent image in the HDD to save changes. This way the changes are carried across reboots and are permanent. Later, if I need another system with custom packages, I rename the image file extension with some easy-to-recall text appended at the end of .img extension and reboot from my native Debian-Grub system with Knoppix loopback option in the menu of grub.cfg and Knoppix automatically asks for 'persistent drive'. What you then have is a new system in which you can install and remove packages and make a custom system.

Yea, I'm a mod/admin. But there is still plenty that I don't know about Knoppix and Linux. I've read all of the stuff about Flash being built into Chromium, but just reading all of that hasn't helped, I still have had to use the Install Components section in the menu to be able to use Flash based sites from Chromium. That did work OK through last month. This month I'm having the Adobe flash install still work fine, but then the sites that I've been using fine (including Hulu) are no longer working (at least not recognizing that I have flash). I don't know if it is because the sites have changed something or if something has gone different with the plug-in I'm installing, although it seem less likely that multiple sites would have changed at once.

Never have had any luck installing Knoppix, I've always used it as God intended, as a live CD or DVD. I've had good results installing Debian, but with no hard drive in this laptop that is not an option. Still hoping to find a remastered Knoppix or some other Live disc with a working flash built in.
    ---

You are blessed, in that you have the ability and patience to read things! I have a reading difficulty which makes me a very visual person. Doesn't booting from thumbdrive (we call it pendrive in India) have the option to use grub.cfg and cloop? If it has, then you could boot from the iso image and create a persistent drive. Your cheat codes explain things.
    I did not talk about installing Knoppix on HDD in which case it is a Debian version.
    When you already have tried creating the plugins folder as the /home/user./mozilla/plugins and copied-pasted libflashplayer.so in that folder and tested with iceweasel, things are beyond my abilities.
    But my best wishes to having your problems solved at the earliest.

Please check this page: http://flashtester.org/
    and particularly [ very important], https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/f...info_small.swf
    I have tested my Iceweasel-Flash combo. It appears my Flash player plugin appears broken for some sites and working for others. I have tried with third party flash sites at http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/best-flash-sites and while some fails, such as these: http://cloudsovercuba.com/ and http://24hoursofhappy.com/, this: http://bear71.nfb.ca/#/bear71, works nicely. My Iceweasel plug-in is 11.2.202.394 whereas Chromium version is 11.3.31.109.
    But most sites that are Flash based also use javascript to load the flash application. Maybe there is a problem with javascript. Check whether this is true.

As to flashtester.org. I get a 500 Internal server error. As to "Maybe there is a problem with javascript. Check whether this is true.", I'm a bit confused there on what you think I should check and how you believe this would be happening. As I tried to make clear, I'm using the same DVD and the same PC that has worked for about the last two years, but starting this week (although not tested for the last few weeks), I'm successfully installing Flash from the Knoppix-> Install Components menu, but then flash (under Chromium) is failing on several sites that I've successfully used it on previously, including Hulu.com.
    How do you reconcile that with being a javascript problem, and if it were is there anything that I could do about it?
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    ... then flash (under Chromium) is failing on several sites that I've successfully used it on previously, including Hulu.com. ...
    Sometimes, sites upgrade their software. I have no idea why this happens. But I tested using the same st of software with my Knoppix and the idea I suggested looked plausible. I asked you whether you tried manually making a plugins folder and copying-pasting libflashplayer.so (downloaded directly from Adobe site and uncompressed) into that folder. You now say you used the Knoppix / install components option. I simply don't know what happened to your system, but I told you the results of my tests, based on your inputs. You will surely find a solution if you persist, but please don't forget to post the result in this thread. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Please check this page: http://flashtester.org/
    and particularly [ very important], https://www.adobe.com/swf/software/f...info_small.swf
    Well, the flashtester page is working now, must have been a temporary problem with the site. However, it isn't of much use. It seems to be a few links to Adobe, then a history lesson about various versions of Adobe Flash. Still following the links there but so far nothing is helping.

As to the "very important" Adobe link, when I clicked on that link from Firefox in Windows it worked fine and identified my Flash version for me. However, I really don't care about Windows. When I tried the same link fron the above in Chromium under Knoppix, the results were, to put it politely, complete crap. I was warned that this type of file can harm my computer. When I told it to keep the file anyway, I got a little download notice at the bottom of the screen. When I selected OPEN there, Knoppix tried to open the file with VLC media player and informed me that VLC can't deal with the file's "input format". Clearly I'm just running a stock Knoppix DVD release with the "install components" option for Flash exercised, so I don't believe that I'm doing anything wrong. Other links on the flashtest site to Adobe are faring no better. Most seem to want to coax me into installing Flash yet again or want me to pick if I'm running under Apple IOS or Windows and don't even give a Linux option.

If javascripts on sites like Hulu have indeed changed, there doesn't seem to be much that I can do about that. Seems strange that several would have all changed at nearly the same time, but I can't prove that didn't happen. But that doesn't get me access to the sites.

I'm not even going to try to jump through all of the hoops to do the more complex manual install if I can't save it, and without a hard drive or a booting thumb drive Knoppix install I seem to be dead there. Still would love to find someone who can offer me any live DVD (doesn't have to be Knoppix) that can boot and run a browser with Flash without doing extra installs.
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 07-31-2014 at 05:19 AM. Reason: typo
    ---

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast