Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Player Install?

Senior Member registered user
    My difference with yours is that my family uses only Linux (knoppix and debian), so I have no other option than to solve my issues as soon as they arise. And two different versions of Linux help in identifying the source(s) of troubles. Presently, I have none, except perhaps a few sites who keep their software at the cutting edge Good luck!

Moderator Moderator
    Hallo Harry,

I suppose your problem is induced by using the outdated Knoppix version 7.0 and the "Install components"-tool.

Just now I've used this tool of K Knopper within Knoppix 7.2. Some hundred packages have been tested and a lot of them upgraded and at the end of this process the version 1:3.5 of flashplugin-nonfree has been installed.

Now I can see YouTube within Iceweasel and Chromium. Within Icewaesel the (View => Toolbars) "Add-on Bar" must be visible; within this bar you can see the icon of NoScript in the left corner and in the right corner the "Option"-button. With this button you can select your proper settings - for example: Temporarily allow youtube.com.

Why do you have a problem with Flash disk install and version 7.2? Is the md5sum of download ok and are there no errors using the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"? Because you cannot boot from USB, why not using a bootonly-CD 7.2?

I cannot test your preferred site because I get this message from www.hulu.com: Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States.

Greetings Werner

Regarding problem with chromium browser

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    ... When I tried the same link fron the above in Chromium under Knoppix, the results were, to put it politely, complete crap. I was warned that this type of file can harm my computer. When I told it to keep the file anyway, I got a little download notice at the bottom of the screen. When I selected OPEN there, Knoppix tried to open the file with VLC media player and informed me that VLC can't deal with the file's "input format". ...
    This is because your file association is incorrect. The file association information are in defaults.list, mimeapps.list among other files. The swf file downloaded because your flash is not associated with .swf files in your system. So Chromium downloads the .swf file. Also, your swf file is not associated with flash standalone player, but associated with VLC media player. That's why VLC is trying to play the file. This is not a major problem and can be corrected by changing the association. Then in Knoppix too, chromium will give you the version number. Your upgrading the version of flash does not affect Chromium, AFAIK. It affects Iceweasel. You could try with the suggestion. Then, if you still have not been able to resolve the difficulties, Mr. Schulz's suggestion awaits your applying it.
    Last edited by rajibando; 07-31-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Administrator Site Admin-
    rijabando: Yes, I know about file associations and understood what was happening. That doesn't mean that I (or others following the given instructions) know how to change these associations in Linux. With an installed system it is reasonable to expect that file associations may be different for different users, but for a LIVE DVD we are working with a well defined situation. As far as I know Knoppix does not change any file associations based on hardware configuration, so I had expected that the instructions provided would work on a stock Knoppix system booted from an optical disc. They didn't, which unfortunately is what I find to be far too typical of the Linux experience and what is still keeping it from the mainstream desktop. Sure, those who know all of the secret handshakes recognize the problem and fix it instantly, it is so simple to them that they don't even bother to mention the actual steps taken.

And I'm not saying that as an ignorant user who shouldn't be allowed to even have a computer in the first place. I was a hacker in college even before the term was well know and worked all of my professional life in software. I've worked with many operating systems very intimately, diagnosing and repairing bugs deep inside OSs and system software. I can program in assembly as well as higher level languages. I've picked through core dumps and resolved problems many times, both software and hardware issues. I've written a forth interpreter as part of a three man team. I had figured out all but one of the hardware tricks of the C64 BEFORE the C64 programmer's manual was released. But Linux doesn't make even using it as a basic user easy. There is way too much that the experts assume everyone should just somehow "know". And when the users don't innately know something the experts too frequently point this out without ever saying just what the basic user needs to move to the next step.

I also know the lore about Chromium having Flash built in and the Install only being for Firefox/Iceweasel. All I can say about that is that it conflicts with the facts. I could run the Knoppix->install Components->flash option and still was completely unable to access flash sites with Iceweasel (and I generally prefer Firefox over Chrome although each has their merits). And if I booted Knoppix but didn't do the Knoppix->install Components->flash, Chromium would fail on the flash based sites for me. When I did the install that supposedly only affects Iceweasel then Chromium would work on the sites that I was interested in (and Iceweasel would not).

Warner: To be honest, I don't remember exactly what the issue with 7.2 was. I did get a good download, checked the md5 chacksum and confirmed that I had a good low speed burn. It just didn't work well on this particular hardware. And I do acknowledge that I have less than perfect hardware, no hard drive, broken screen, can't even get to the BIOS because it doesn't recognize and access the HDMI output the way the Knoppix does. This wasn't the first time that a newer version of Knoppix failed over older versions (I stayed on 4.02 for quite a while because it suddenly supported a PC card WiFi interface correctly that older versions and, sadly, newer versions would fail on.) So I simply made the reasonable-at-the-time choice to stay with the 7.0 that did all that I needed than to add to my problems with 7.2.

Yes, maybe I should find my 7.2 DVD again (or download another copy). The first thing that I looked at was if there was anything newer than 7.2, but that was not the case. But if I'm going to start downloading again anyway, I was hoping that someone here might know of a distro of a live DVD that I could use that already included a viable flash in it (maybe one of those ones with too many vowels in the name or even something less mainstream so not to attract the ire of Adobe). Particularly since I remember enough about 7.2 to remember that it didn't work well for me.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Sharing info

rijabando: ... doesn't mean that I (or others following the given instructions) know how to change these associations in Linux. With an installed system it is reasonable to expect that file associations may be different for different users...
    Dear Harry, it is not complicated! There are lines, for example," text/css=gedit.desktop;" which you can replace with your chosen package, such as, "text/css=kwrite.desktop;" . That said, I did not find any association like vlc or swf, which means if such lines are there in the file it should be replaced with appropriate ones. In the root too there is only one association, application/octet-stream=gedit.desktop;
    ... I find to be far too typical of the Linux experience and what is still keeping it from the mainstream desktop. Sure, those who know all of the secret handshakes recognize the problem and fix it instantly, it is so simple to them that they don't even bother to mention the actual steps taken....
    I completely agree, I have said to many that Linux fails to reach end users because of its cryptic help files, which are for programmers. Sometimes, I too think whether this Open Source and Proprietary battle is actually a battle of egotism, like, "I am more right than you are"! But then there are good things with Open Source, which ultimately is about freedom. Proprietary systems keep us enslaved, we are free so long as we are with them!
    ... There is way too much that the experts assume everyone should just somehow "know". And when the users don't innately know something the experts too frequently point this out without ever saying just what the basic user needs to move to the next step...
    Perhaps, the experts don't assume anything, but expect that the users have explored the system well. At other times, may be it gives them an ego-boost! Man is after all animal, and like all animals, territorial and irrational. But, keeping these things aside, let us explore the possibilities before replacing a seemingly broken system with a new one.
    ...When I did the install that supposedly only affects Iceweasel then Chromium would work on the sites that I was interested in (and Iceweasel would not)...
    No, I take back this statement. I find that when I ran the flash tester swf both versions of flash player for Chromium and Iceweasel were the same. Maybe, Chrome shares the plugins folder with Iceweasel. I have to check this out further.
    ...Warner: ...So I simply made the reasonable-at-the-time choice to stay with the 7.0 that did all that I needed than to add to my problems with 7.2. ...Yes, maybe I should find my 7.2 DVD again (or download another copy). ... I remember enough about 7.2 to remember that it didn't work well for me....
    I am not talking on behalf of Mr. Schulz, but personally I feel you shouldn't change if you don't want too. Familiarity brings with it some comfort level. And most of the time, this comfort level lets us focus on the task at hand, rather than our sudden impulse to become a programmer cum systems-admin ourselves
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-01-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Answer me one question: if you don't have a HDD where do you have your persistent knoppix-data.img file?

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Answer me one question: if you don't have a HDD where do you have your persistent knoppix-data.img file?
    I don't. I have been running Knoppix from a stock DVD. Browsing the web with great comfort that I can't do much harm no matter where I go. In fact, it is the one system that I trust to follow suspicious links when trying to determine if a post is legitimate or malware. This has worked well for me, I use it for browsing that I don't want to trust on my main Windows system. If I visit a site that seems to be trying to start trouble I just reboot and start again. Plus I use the HDMI out to watch Hulu, Crackle, Youtube and other video sources on my large screen TV. But starting some time this month I can no longer access many flash based sites that used to work fine this way with the same Knoppix 7.0 DVD, including Hulu and Crackle. I just found that I can play some videos on Youtube, but I'm suspecting that they are using HTML5 or some other video technology rather than Flash, as everything else seems to have broken at the same time.

I've actually never had a persistent image working with Knoppix. As far as Linux is concerned I've used Debian systems for things where I wanted persistence. But none of the systems that I have that I can run Debian on have HDMI out, so I would still like to find a live DVD with Chromium (or some other browser but with Adobe flash already installed) so that I can just boot the system and browse when I want without having to muck with ugly Linux Flash installs each time.
    ---

Then how can you carry all the packages installed in your system by installing newer versions across reboots?

...I'm suspecting that they are using HTML5 or some other video technology rather than Flash, as everything else seems to have broken at the same time...
    I told you that this might be the case, and might happen when websites update their software.
    The other culprit could be java. Maybe script blockers are blocking java scripts.
    And I appreciate your choices.
    I will check with my Knoppix 7.0.2 when I have some time.
    Good luck

To clarify one more thing, I've been doing some additional playing on that system tonight, and my problems with Iceweasel have not been Flash, they were javascript problems with sites like Hulu. I had simply put that out of my mind since they were resolved by switching to Chromium. Prior to July I could watch flash based videos with that configuration on pretty much any site that I tried, but now, although the Flash install is reporting that it was successful, I fail when I actually try to use Flash based sites.
    ---

Moderator Moderator
    The first thing that I looked at was if there was anything newer than 7.2, but that was not the case.
    Hello Harry,
    it seems to me that KK is working hard these days with the new version of Knoppix and we can expect V7.4 in the near future.

Greetings Werner

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast