Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Player Install?

Senior Member registered user
    ...I've been doing some additional playing on that system tonight, and my problems with Iceweasel have not been Flash, they were javascript problems with sites like Hulu...
    Then, a Thank You is in order, perhaps? Eh?
    Simply stop the scripts- and ads- blockers and check.
    Have a good time

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Then how can you carry all the packages installed in your system by installing newer versions across reboots?
    I don't. I don't care about any of that. Knoppix has always been for me what it was originally intended to be, a Live CD (or DVD). I've never understood why, if someone wants an installed system they would muck with Knoppix rather than just do a Debian install. All I want here is a disc that I can boot in my lame laptop and it will boot, recognize that hardware, and run a decent Linux system on the hardware with HDMI output, and a browser in there somewhere that will support javascript and Flash. Through June of this year Knoppix fit my needs, although I had to reinstall Flash after each reboot. I could browse if that is what I wanted (and it usually was), or there were plenty of Linux applications pre-installed that I could play with, or I could try installing something new, it was fine with me that, if I did install stuff, the system would go back to "stock" the next time it was rebooted, it simply meant than no matter what I did I wasn't going to "break" anything.

Let me add that I've been known to carry a Live Knoppix DVD with another laptop when I travel. If I'm somewhere that I might feel uncomfortable logging in with the Installed Windows system, such as a cyber cafe, I may run the DVD. I might even pull the hard drive just to be safe before running the Knoppix DVD.

All I'm looking for here is to get back to a "boot the disc and run" situation, I certainly don't want something where extensive Linux "fixes" have to be put in place to make the disc suitable for basic use each time that it is booted.
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 08-01-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

You and I have been typing and posting together which is a good sign!
    Like I said, I appreciate your choices
    I've never understood why, if someone wants an installed system they would muck with Knoppix rather than just do a Debian install
    I hope you just said that as a figure of speech, because I use Knoppix exactly like that, and I have my own reasons .
    ...I could browse if that is what I wanted (and it usually was), or there were plenty of Linux applications pre-installed that I could play with, or I could try installing something new, it was fine with me that, if I did install stuff, the system would go back to "stock" the next time it was rebooted, it simply meant than no matter what I did I wasn't going to "break" anything....
    Anyhow, you can't break anything even in persistent images. Just rename the image and a clean slate reappears!
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-01-2014 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Then, a Thank You is in order, perhaps? Eh?
    Simply stop the scripts- and ads- blockers and check.
    Have a good time
    No, I think you completely miss the point. Iceweasel has javascript disabled by default. Chromium works with javascript without having to reconfigure every time you boot. So I've been using Chromium. Nothing about that changes that the Knoppix 7.0 and Chromium combo that worked through June of 2014 is no longer letting me watch Flash and is now complaining either that I don't have Flash installed or is complaining that the Flash is too old.
    ---

Iceweasel has javascript disabled by default
    I am saying the opposite! Stop the blocking of scripts, i.e., enable the scripts, i.e., disable the scripts- and ads- blockers.
    And you can understand that some (not all) sites have become inaccessible for your native Flash.
    So, that's it. If your flash is old, replace with a new flash libflashplayer.so plugin manually in /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins.
    Even then, if flash doesn't play for those sites, the sites are doing something complicated & your knoppix is fine!
    How could I miss the point?

Moderator Moderator
    I have been running Knoppix from a stock DVD. Browsing the web with great comfort that I can't do much harm no matter where I go.
    If you only want a secure browsing medium, you don't need the Knoppix DVD. You can use the CD version and remaster it. Install Chromium and flashplugin-nonfree and purge LibreOffice and Gimp (otherwise you'll exceed the size limit for an CD). With my remaster script it's an easy done job.

Hello, Mr. Schulz, I never had the opportunity to say hello again, when we met here after a long time! Thank you for the information. I would have a look at it shortly.
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-01-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    If NoScript for Iceweasel is unwanted, deinstall it before remaster. Per default this add-on isn't within Iceweasel; KK added it to enable secure browsing with Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    If NoScript for Iceweasel is unwanted, deinstall it before remaster.
    Greetings, all.

This thread has got me thinking about using NoScript by default with IceWeasel.

I've put up with its quirks for some time, but it does seem quite a nuisance at times.
    I've recently disabled but not uninstalled and I find I get warnings when
    some script is hung up which I can disable. That seems to be more useful than
    all the hangs I run into usually.

Also, I note that there are a lot of individual choices one may employ using
    NoScript to target just individual scripting nuisances. See the screenshot,
    for example.

So, just tweaking NoScript choices may be another option for those Knoppixers
    that are not happy browsers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My issue is resolved, at least sort of.

First of all, I want to apologize to the group for my inability to make myself clear. I had a Live Knoppix DVD 7.0 that was installing flash from the menu option and then doing what I wanted it to do (play web videos), up through June of 2014. In July of 2014 something happened. Same DVD, but now after the Adobe Flash install (which, of course was from somewhere on the web and not the DVD) I could no longer use the system for the same sites that it had worked on previously. Sure, just maybe all of the sites that I was visiting all changed how they deal with flash at the same time and managed to keep that secret. But I'll really always believe that something changed with the external site that flash was being installed from. What I wanted was information on live CD/DVD alternatives. Remastered Knoppixes would have been the most preferred, since I know Knoppix and it has worked well for me on this crippled hardware. But any suggestions that were known to let me boot an optical disc into Linux and browse with flash (and javascript) would have been welcome.

What I wasn't looking for, and wasn't very receptive to, were suggestions that I should be making a lot of technical changes to my broken Knoppix system. I had a very negative attitude that I could successfully make those changes (based on years of frustration in dealing with that type of Linux fixes) or that they would really resolve the issue anyway or that it would matter at all since I had tried to make it clear that I was dealing with a Live Disk with no hard drive to store the changes. I wasn't receptive to discussions about changing no-script in Iceweasel, since I was happy using Chromium that didn't have the Iceweasel no-script issue, and if there were any scripting issues with javascript changes on the sites that I was visiting they were out of my control anyway. I had no interest at all in doing my first Knoppix remaster to try to fix a problem of this nature, and I don't have a computer with a hard disk that I can install Knoppix on do start fooling with the remastering process anyway.

So I decided that I wasn't being pointed in the directions that I was hoping others who had already fought this problem and might have helpful experience with would point me in, and I didn't want to fight with the directions that I felt that I was being told to go. Instead I decided to just blindly search for other Linux Live CDs and find something that I could try. I expected that I would have to reject a few systems but would eventually stumble across something that would be the tool that I was looking for without having to become a tool maker just to be a tool user.

I seem to have gotten lucky with my first pick. I downloaded a copy of Linux Mint DVD. It does boot on my questionable hardware and finds the HDMI output and lets me use the system. I had some reservations since the release notes had a lot of "helpful" suggestions about cheat codes that might be needed during booting and I would be unable to use any of them (I can't see the screen until Linux is booted up, remember). I can again browse and go to Hulu and all of the other sites that I previously used, and so far everything is working.

I'm certainly not recommending this particular distribution. First of all, I haven't used it nearly enough to do that. Second of all, it is much more limited than Knoppix (the DVD is only 1.3 gig). It only has one browser, Firefox and not Chromium. It lacks a lot of the eye candy of Knoppix, the 3D effects, the games and a lot more. It seems to be slower than Knoppix was when it was working. But it lets me do the thing that I used to do with Knoppix but stopped working in July, browse the web and watch videos. And it does that with a built-in flash that I don't have to reinstall from the web every time that I reboot. It's just a tool to do a particular thing, but that is what I was looking for.

I expect that after using this for a few days I may check other Linux Live CDs and DVDs. And when the next Knoppix comes out I will likely try that again (even though I really like not having to install Flash after every reboot). But at least I have a tool that is doing the job that i want done again. Just sorry that it isn't Knoppix.

If anyone does remaster the Knoppx DVD to include a fresh working Flash version, please Private Message me.
    ---

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast