Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Flash Player Install?

Senior Member registered user

To all members who stumble to this thread

To all members who stumble to this thread:
    Please don't let the above discussion confuse you. Follow the steps below and you should be successfully playing Flash contents within Mozilla:
    I too had an old Flash Plugin in my Knoppix system which was incapable of playing flash videos, particularly, from YouTube.
    I upgraded my Flash plugin by
    1. Manually creating a plugins folder as:
      Code:
      /home/knoppix/.mozilla/plugins
    2. Then I downloaded the compressed Flash plugin tar.gz package from Adobe website, Version 11.2.202.394 , uncompressed it, extracted the libflashplayer.so plugin and placed it in the plugins folder, and the other contents into folders for which they are intended.
    3. Then I tested with the flash version testing site . The site shows the current version no. 11,2,202,394 using commas, rather than full-stops.
    4. Now the sites which use adobe flash content are shown by my flash player within my browser, particularly, YouTube.
    5. Some sites might not be. You should check your Scripts- and Ads- blockers and reconfigure them.

Hopefully, the problems would be solved.
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-03-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Just a few updates for users now that Knoppix 7.4 is still out. Under Knoppix 7.4 using Adobe Flash still requires running an install script (the install scripts now offer several additional pieces of software that they did not offer in 7.0). This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully. However, it was not. Like 7.0 (which worked correctly previously but stopped working some time in July of this year), sites like Hulu tell me that I need to install Flash to view their content. As I used Knoppix mainly for web browsing, this will be a deal breaker for me.

If you want to run Abobe Flash under Knoppix I suggest trying to follow rajibando's instructions above. Or if you find yourself Linux challenged like me, try a different Live disc. So far Linux Mint is still the best version that I have found that comes with Abobe Flash already installed. I have also found that PCLinuxOS includes a working copy of Adobe Flash. It isn't working right for my hardware, the screen is defaulting to 3x4 aspect ration at boot even though the laptop and the external monitor are both 16x9 format (this can be easily changed after boot) and the audio isn't working correctly (and resisting fixing) (both Knoppix and Linux Mint get both of these right). Results on different hardware may vary, so if Linux Mint isn't right for you then PCLinuxOS may be another option.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Moderator Moderator
    This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully.
    I've tested it on my laptop using a flash disk install of V7.4.0 on a 8GB USB stick. The sript needed 4 min for "aptitude update" ( because I didn't it before) and needed 1 min 32 sec for installation of flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5.

With this I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394; this is the newest version from Adobe for free. Therefore it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above.

Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.

Disclaimer, and some observations

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ... it isn't necessary to follow rajibando's instructions above ...
    First of all, I need to say that the instruction is not mine, friends . So I don't deserve the credit. In fact, user89 had discussed it in brief. Also, as I have stated earlier, in the Post No.6&7 the archive install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz downloaded from the Adobe site contains a readme.txt file that contains the requisite information, though not very clear or correct. But it takes little effort to bridge the gap and anyone should be able to do it.
    So the instructions are Adobe's really, not mine!
    And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently. Then the steps would again be necessary to install the Flash Plugin.

I repeat with emphasis: It _is_ imperative to remember the Manual Installation Steps via the native Readme.txt file of the archived Flash plugin install_flash_player_xx_linux.yyy.tar.gz. (xx version no. and yyy, the architecture of the CPU).
    Last edited by rajibando; 08-08-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    And it is necessary to remember the instructions, because Adobe will surely update its Flash Plugin in between two Knoppix releases, and installing the new version via the native Knoppix method might not work, like it didn't presently.
    First of all - Knoppix is a Live Linux. See also my warnings at Hardware install Wiki.

If you need an OS with security updates, you have to think about it, if Knoppix is the right one.

But if you want a new version of Adobe flash player within Knoppix you can do it with aptitude. "aptitude update" and if there is a new version of "flashplugin-nonfree" you can install (update) it. For example within Knoppix V7.3.0 there have been flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.4. After "aptitude update" I can select flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5 and will get the latest version from Adobe.

Perhaps it's time to update your hardware. Knoppix is an up-to-date Live Linux and it requires up-to-date hardware.
    The hardware in question is a relatively new HP laptop, dual core, 4 gig of memory, that came with Win7. Since I'll never considering buying a Win 8.x system, this is the newest system that I have that I can run Knoppix on, and I really can't buy newer.

The hard drive has failed and the screen is cracked. I don't see those as likely to be issues with running Knoppix from DVD.

I don't know how you pulled off the instal that you are talking about at the speed you saw. We certainly may have different Internet speeds, and the U.S.A. is far behind Europe and even many third world countries in that regard because we carve out monopolies for rich ISPs and then give them incentives to over charge rather than upgrade equipment. Still, the connection is not bad relative to other local options. What I see when I run the script to install Adobe Flash from the Knoppix->Install Components menu is that numerous little installs happen, and each of them may take from many seconds to several minutes or more. The estimates of how much time for each task will jump around a good bit during the downloads, and the indicated speeds are less than I see when I just download files from other sites through the connection, making me believe that it is the source of the files that is the bottleneck more than a speed limitation on my end. Only Knoppix is using the Internet connection at the time, there are no other users doing downloads and competing for bandwidth. So I'm confused on why we are seeing such drastic differences in speeds (and would like to see other reports of how long it is taking people to do the "Adobe Install" from the Knoppix menu, particularly from users in the United States. However, since the "install" doesn't really get me a working copy of flash, the issue seems far less important.
    ---

Moderator Moderator
    Hello Harry,

my Laptop isn't the newest one; It is a three years old low end laptop. And my Internet connection isn't a high speed connection: download rate nearby 240 kB/sec. For download of Knoppix DVD I've needed about 4 hours.

Installation of Flash player can also be done with two single steps
    Code:
    su
    aptitude update
    Code:
    su
    aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree
    The Knoppix script does nothing else.

I had certainly not tried to install it that way. I used the menu option: menu->Knoppix->Install Components then picked the Adobe Flash option. That is the one that runs a long script and takes forever. It worked up through June of 2014 (although it still took a long time), it no longer works but is still included in Knoppix 7.4. I'm not clear why the long complex and slow script would have been included if a simple command is just as good (or even better since it is much faster and actually seems to work).

As to network speeds I got my Knoppix DVD ISO in less than an hour, using the torrents. There were more EN torrent seeders at the time than there were DE torrent seeders so that may not be a fair comparison. But I've always used the torrents since they became available, I find them both much faster than the mirrors used to be (I remember starting mirror downloads for the CD and aborting them because I was getting estimates of over a day to complete) and error free (I saw a high percentage of bad downloads for the Knoppix ISO when downloading with Windows). I found that something was causing the mirrors to treat the file as text rather than binary and do a Linux->Windows NL->CR/LF translation on the file. I've only ever seen this on Knoppix ISO downloads and no other downloads, but I saw it on a lot of different Knoppix mirrors over the years. Never had a corrupt torrent download (the text vs. binary problem isn't there and the protocol enforces a lot more error checking and correcting).
    Last edited by Harry Kuhman; 08-08-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo fix
    ---

Red face Tne need for manual install

...if you want a new version of Adobe flash player within Knoppix you can do it with aptitude. "aptitude update" and if there is a new version of "flashplugin-nonfree" you can install (update) it. For example within Knoppix V7.3.0 there have been flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.4. After "aptitude update" I can select flashplugin-nonfree 1:3.5 and will get the latest version from Adobe...
    Hi, Mr. Schulz, why is it that you say hello to Mr. Kuhman but not to me when I greet you, when you post to my reply ? We _are_ acquainted, so far as I can remember, exchanging personal messages... If there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the way I sincerely apologise.
    I have reservations against apt's ability to resolve issues.
    The latest example is my trying to install nVidia packages in my HCL laptop. The problem is that Knoppix uses several repos, including Stable, Testing and Experimental. The chances are that the packages of each repo may be incompatible with the other, like my nVidia drivers. I first installed nvidia-detect, then tried to install other nvidia drivers, as directed by nvidia detect. I tried but apt would not install, reporting conflicting dependencies. Then I was compelled to download and install the drivers via gdebi, as without the drivers my display is limited to 1024X768. With nvidia drivers it is 1280X800. Now, the repository database is broken. I can install new packages, but at the end it will report the installed conflicting dependencies of nvidia xserver.
    There is another option, using just one repository to install a package such as nvidia. I know, but am not changing the setup since my system is working just fine! But I will do it in future with a new release of Knoppix.
    In the end, Apt and Knoppix scripts are created for automation, by men, to be used by men, hence is limited like men are. They will work when they do, but no automation is panacea, I mean, for all systems and for all times.
    Hence, in particular cases, we do need to remember the manual install methods. This was the context for my emphasising on the manual install method via the adobe's native Readme.txt file inside its archive package.
    Since the intent of this thread has already been addressed, shall we close it now and discuss the related issues in some other thread?

Moderator Moderator
    I'm not clear why the long complex and slow script would have been included ..
    Hello Harry,

I suppose, KK did it for beginners without any knowledge about aptitude. The script by itself isn't slow; after collecting what to do, aptitude works and not the script.

For me there is no difference with download speed (nearby 240 kB/sec) using a Mirror within Germany or using Torrents. But you are right, to avoid corrupt downloads - especially of Knoppix - one should use Torrents.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast