Thread: UVC Webcam with Knoppix 7.0.2

Senior Member registered user

Post UVC Webcam with Knoppix 7.0.2

After installing Knoppix 7.0.2 (I had tried 7.0.1 for a day before switching to 7.0.2), I found that both detect my wireless LAN chip-set automatically (previous versions of Knoppix required loading the driver separately as a kernel module). However, they both (i.e. 7.0.1 and 7.0.2 ) also do something that the previous versions did not. Earlier versions could work with my netbook's webcam properly........these latest two versions do not. I have an Asus EEE PC 1201T. The lspci -v output and the lsusb output are attached as 1.txt and 2.txt respectively.

I tried using both eviacam as well as guvcview to test the webcam.
    IN each case(for both versions,i.e. total 4 cases), the webcam light glows up properly after launching any of the two applications. HOwever, the entire system freezes at that instant. No change in the UI, no change in the webcam indicator LED,no LED response to Caps Lock toggling, no response to keypresses / touchpad movements or taps........no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del or for that matter Ctrl+Alt+F1/F2/F3/F4,etc....it just freezes there. I have to power off the netbook forcibly and boot into Knoppix again. No way to recover from the crash.

Why this problem started appearing? Previous versions of Knoppix used to work fine with this webcam.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: txt 1.txt (6.8 KB, 3 views)
    • File Type: txt 2.txt (721 Bytes, 2 views)
    Last edited by jacksonon; 06-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Hi,
    i confirm the same problem using Cheese o Enable viacam with my netbook built-in cam
    Need to power off

Would you be able to install the actual working packages from last version, to see if the problem persists? Freezing up might indicate something with kernel modules? Just asking, I don't know anything about webcams

Thanks but I need some other solution. I do not wish to do any downgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon View Post
    Thanks but I need some other solution. I do not wish to do any downgrade.
    Logically, I can't see how it is possible to downgrade from something that is defective.
    Formally of course yes, but that's just version number counting. Throughout my 18 years of Linux use, I have had to "downgrade" quite a few times. The alternatives have almost always been either finding/creating hacks or patches, og just wait for a new release.

Lol...well said.I will keep on the lookout for newer releases of libwebcam0.I updated it to the latest version(as available in the testing repo) yesterday. That in turn also caused uvcdyncntrl to update, however the problem remains unsolved. It still freezes....I can't do anything,not even restarting X by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

Of course, if you are not dependent on having it working right now, it may be better to only look forward. In particular, if you can go into the matter and do testing and bug-localization, that will be the most efficient thing to do. Are there some debug flags that could be turned on in the testing versions?

I guess doing so won't be necessary, since the exact error messages returned on the command-line have been reported(by other users,not necessarily using Knoppix) as confirmed bugs in a few places online. I will wait for it to get fixed.